Home General Fishing

Acid wrapped guides

FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
Let's talk about acid wrapped/spiraled guides? Are they proven better than a regular rod? Any real evidence?

I believe the main purpose is to keep the line from touching the rod between reel and 1st guide. I assume it's only for dropping, no casting?

Replies

• SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    I believe you are correct but not sure if it is much of an advantage over traditional guide placement. I know it is more popular on the West coast of the U.S.

I would believe if it was a major game changer you would see commercial production rods offering it but maybe because it is cost prohibitive for them to offer both flavors.

A custom builder on this forum could answer this better.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I love mine for Big Groupers & AJs... but unless you're fighting big fish w/>20lbs of drag, IMO there's not a lot of benefit...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    I wonder if it's like the qwerty keyboard where more efficient options exist but most are afraid to produce/change
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    I used a spiral wrapped rod on one trip this January. I vertical jig with a conventional reel and what was nice about the spiral rod was that the line never wrapped around the rod tip during rapid jigging. In contrast this can be a common annoyance with a regular rod with a fast action tip. I will say though, I got skunked on that trip, so I have no idea how it would hold up in a fight with an AJ or BFT.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,373 Admiral
    It stops the rod from torqueing in your hands. The pull is straight up and down so you fight the fish not the rod and fish. It makes a huge difference.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Silent snookerSilent snooker Posts: 378 Deckhand
    i agree with spineyman it makes a noticeable difference. the rod isn't twisting from left to right during a fight. as far as casting goes. i have two avet sx combos on the same blank. one has the acid wrap the other a conventional guide set up and can cast them both equally.
  • Derek-RDerek-R Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Spineyman is correct on the purpose of an acid wrap. All it does is prevent the rod from twisting in your hand by placing the weight of the rod at the underside of the blank. A well spined rod with a higher end blank (seeker blanks is the lowest I build with) in a traditional setting is almost as effective at reducing the twist that one would normally see because you are using the strength of the blank.

Care needs to be used while selecting guides used for an acid wrap, guides are usually designed to handle vertical pressure and an acid wrap will induce a vertical and horizontal pressure.
  • PP1PP1 Posts: 332 Deckhand
    The last three got it right. A buddy of mine REALLY got into rod building for a while and even made a spiral casting rod. I borrowed it for a while and fished topwater, DOA shrimp and all types of other lures with it. It actually cast very well and fought fish good too. Caught some decent trout, reds, and smalish snook with it.

There's very little benefit on that light of a rod, but it didn't hinder it either.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,108 Officer
    Rod manufacturers don't make them because they don't sell. Most people think they look odd and will buy a conventional rod before they will buy a spiral built rod.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,373 Admiral
    If you do a lot of speed jigging you will also get the line wrapped around the top guide on a conventional rod quite frequently. It does not happen with an acid wrapped rod either. There is definitely a noticeable difference in overall performance.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    If I had a nickel for everybody who says "WTH happened to that Rod?"
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 504 Officer
    I own 2 spiral wrapped rods. One of them I've had nearly 10 years. Great for fighting fish and casting. Have not found a downside to using these rods.