Home Egret Boats

Pompano fly patterns...suggestions?

mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
Mole crab fly for Pompano. I'm hoping to get these wet when I pick up the skiff after the motor transplant. Does anyone have some good pompano fly recipes...thanks

Replies

• mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    White marabou tail with lots of gold flash. Pink estaz body counter wrapped with red copper wire and lead eyed on #1 hook. Also in chartreuse and yellow bodies. Shouldn't you be in fly section? :)
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    I have tried allot of them but in the Sailfish Flats area where the pompano are we are usually throwing in the deeper cut between the flats. Any fly with a weighted dumbbell eye will work.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    I have tried allot of them but in the Sailfish Flats area where the pompano are we are usually throwing in the deeper cut between the flats. Any fly with a weighted dumbbell eye will work.

OK I'll tie up some Clousers too. Thanks Frank
    Martin I do have some of those tied up as well, thanks I do not post there the moderator is a miserable SOB.
    mtd885 wrote: »
    OK I'll tie up some Clousers too. Thanks Frank
    Martin I do have some of those tied up as well, thanks I do not post there the moderator is a miserable SOB.

The mod is definitely rough around the edges and opinionated. Most of his opinions are correct but nobody is right all the time!

Here's a post on the pattern:

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?89280-Loxahatchee-Hornet-with-SBS&highlight=hornet

Couple color variations. I used a strip of white rabbit for the tail in the pink one. I've gone to bending a SS cotter pin and using coated nylon wire to tie stinger style. Flies last a long time when the ladyfish can't chew on the bodies because of the stinger hook.

15940014304_8d98500045.jpg
    Great flies! Essentially those are the same flies we use for Shad out in NorCal. We do not tie tails longer than a tag and we used to use antron for that. Here's a tip from the old days, use arrow mono cord available at bow shops. We used to get the hi vis orange mono from them and the Shad loved them. Thanks for the jolt, I know I still have some of those materials around...back to the vise!
    I just tied up a 1/2 dozen Crystal Schminnows in Fl O/ white and Fl O/orange crystal chenille with schlappen collar. I hope I get a chance to use these...:)
    Oops meant to type coated stainless wire for stinger: keeps the mackerel from biting through.

I'm doing palmered rabbit fur collar with counter wrapped silver wire rib on schminnows. Sexy and durable. :)8ed5b6f41d96aa6e0bfaa13af7160e04.jpg
    I hate the mod of the fly forum also. He is a tyrant.
    I hate the mod of the fly forum also. He is a tyrant.

More like an adolescent with an attitude problem. As my dad used to say, "a swift kick in the behind" is what this guy needs! Of course he never used the word behind :)
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    Is the mod ODC? I think he closed a couple of my excellent fly pattern topics, the tarpon triple threat, redfish rect'um and trouser trout.
    Is the mod ODB? I think he closed a couple of my excellent fly pattern topics, the tarpon triple threat, redfish rect'um and trouser trout.

He's the last part over the fence, a rear ventral port
    ODC is the one. Very unprofessional one sided moderator and a detriment to the forum.
    I just looked at the FF pages...dead! Compared to before this dunce was "enlisted" I just realized I have an excuse if these do not work...the banana��
    I'm too stupidstitious I had to get em off the banana.
    Never use a banana to hang a fly on 101. Bad Luck. You have to throw them away as much as that hurts. The fly forum should be renamed the ODC forum. The boating forum is dead since they relocated us here also.

Here is a link to see a great TV show if you haven't watched it yet.
    http://www.silverkingstv.com/episodes/
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    mtd885 wrote: »
    I just looked at the FF pages...dead! Compared to before this dunce was "enlisted" I just realized I have an excuse if these do not work...the banana😄
    I'm too stupidstitious I had to get em off the banana.

How can a fly section be controversial enough to get a mod involved? Sounds ridiculous.
    How can a fly section be controversial enough to get a mod involved? Sounds ridiculous.

Its the MOD that is the problem. He only allows posts if he agrees with them. He is just a bad moderator and is allowed to force his own agenda upon the fly forum. I personally will not post in there again untill he is removed from his power abusing position.
    Its the MOD that is the problem. He only allows posts if he agrees with them. He is just a bad moderator and is allowed to force his own agenda upon the fly forum. I personally will not post in there again untill he is removed from his power abusing position.

I don't think the mods for this forum have ever even been in this section once so it doesnt surprise me they don't moderate their own bad apples. For that matter, I don't think the Egret factory people have ever been in either let alone post anywhere on FS.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I think it's safe to say nobody is moderating here. Remember FlatsBoy's unicorn wash mit? Dam.
    I think it's safe to say nobody is moderating here. Remember FlatsBoy's unicorn wash mit? Dam.

I must have missed that one
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Be glad you did my man.

Sounds like the fly discontents should crash they fly forum with an abundance of special patterns he would love.
    His fly shop does not carry Hardy so all I have to do is suggest one to someone and "pop" goes his abusive moderation . He enforces his opinion toward produt suggestions. You can not suggest something if he does not approve it. My post where he attacked me on the forum the Admin deleted it because ODC looks like an idiot. I wish I could find it.
    Sounds like the fly discontents should crash they fly forum with an abundance of special patterns he would love.

Along with all those that have received flys from our esteemed Egret tyers!
    His fly shop does not carry Hardy so all I have to do is suggest one to someone and "pop" goes his abusive moderation .

What is Hardy?
    House of Hardy make the fly rods in the survival kit in a Rolls Royce. :)
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Unfortunately Shakespear bought Hardy Rods recently. I am afraid they will cheapen them up and still sell them at a premium price. I loved my Hardy until I cast the Sage Method and absolutely had to have it.
    91tiger wrote: »
    Unfortunately Shakespear bought Hardy Rods recently. I am afraid they will cheapen them up and still sell them at a premium price. I loved my Hardy until I cast the Sage Method and absolutely had to have it.

Pure fishing did. I spoke to the USA rep and they are keeping the product line high quality. I refuse to pick up another fly rod in a store. I have enough. There will always be a better casting product and I have enough for now.
    Maybe you'll recognize Hardy from this iconic pic. DSCN0011-1.jpg

We could just start our own fly forum over here if there's enough people. Maybe a one topic stickie?
    there three mods listed none of whom have ever posted here.

mbowers wrote: »

We could just start our own fly forum over here if there's enough people. Maybe a one topic stickie?

sign me up as long as that AH is not sent here to mess with us.
    if they do I'm out!
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »

Almost looks like she's holding an invisible fish... flyfishing can be like that. Keep Smilin...Pete