Home General Fishing

Old Fish in Freezer

2»

Replies

  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 670 Officer
    anything old gets thrown in my makeshift chum maker thats actually a woodchipper. It might not be as good as fresh oily fish but it does work, at the very least its a filler.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Don't forget it's OK for crab traps.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    I guess the forum over time turned into rednecks without respect to the fishery... Sad to see the changes here
  • minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
    FishInFL wrote: »
    I guess the forum over time turned into rednecks without respect to the fishery... Sad to see the changes here

    Harvesting fish does not make you a redneck and harvesting fish within the limits is respect to the fishery
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    FishInFL wrote: »
    I guess the forum over time turned into rednecks without respect to the fishery... Sad to see the changes here

    You mean to tell me you have never had hardboiled sea turtle eggs and sailfish soup?! Dude, you are missing out big time. I usually cast net some snook off my dock to go as a good filet on the side. Mmm delish!
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    Here's something that I have done for years and it has somewhat helped me with the problem of "overstocking" the freezer.....

    Many years ago .....when I was young and could really catch fish :grin....I noticed that when a new summer rolled around I still had fish from last summer, fall, winter and spring of the previous year ....and back then I didn't have a vacuum sealer like I do now.

    ...so basically most of the stuff I had wasn't worth eating...

    As I loaded up a few carry bins to take to the waters edge and dump them....I promised myself that I would not let this happen again because "my eyes were just too big for my stomach"....

    It's all pretty simple...

    There are 365 days in the year....and out of that...just how many days are you and yours really gonna want to eat fish?

    Half the year you say?....hummmmm....are you really gonna eat fish for 182.5 days in a calendar year?

    Would 1/3 make "better" sense?.......That would be 121.66 days out of 365....that's even a lot.

    So how's about 1/4 ?...that would be 91.25 days out of 365.......that's pretty do-able...

    So you have a family of 4....two adults and two kids...say...10 and 12...

    Maybe we need to take a hard pencil to this and see just how many pounds of fish that it would take to feed your family of 4 for 91.25 days....X's one meal per day.....

    "IF"...each and every one of you could eat a 16 ounce portion or fish each time you sat down then it's pretty simple.....filet out enough fish so that you have 365 pound of filets.....it's really that simple....

    But the problem is.....not everyone sits down and eats a pound of filets every time they eat........like I do...

    I like catching YFT, Mako, Wahoo, Cobia, Mahi and Kings.....and as many of you offshore guys can attest......it's pretty easy to score 365 pounds of filets in one day if the fish gods are on your side....

    Should you have 6 guys out fishing with you....and everything is biting it's pretty easy to understand that if you keep bailing fish like cotton you really only have to go fishing one day a year....:rotflmao
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    FishInFL wrote: »
    I guess the forum over time turned into rednecks without respect to the fishery... Sad to see the changes here
    The most judgmental person on the forum right here.

    If eating fish makes someone a redneck, then what are you? Can you point out where anyone did not respect the fishery?
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Food Babe needs to fall off the face of the planet with her BS witch hunts.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG
    Glad I'm retired and can fish any day I choose...makes it really easy to release all my fish...

    And on that day I'm feeling really REDNECKY :grin....I can keep a nice Red and eat it fresh.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Schmidty wrote: »
    Here's something that I have done for years and it has somewhat helped me with the problem of "overstocking" the freezer.....

    Many years ago .....when I was young and could really catch fish :grin....I noticed that when a new summer rolled around I still had fish from last summer, fall, winter and spring of the previous year ....and back then I didn't have a vacuum sealer like I do now.

    ...so basically most of the stuff I had wasn't worth eating...

    As I loaded up a few carry bins to take to the waters edge and dump them....I promised myself that I would not let this happen again because "my eyes were just too big for my stomach"....

    It's all pretty simple...

    There are 365 days in the year....and out of that...just how many days are you and yours really gonna want to eat fish?

    Half the year you say?....hummmmm....are you really gonna eat fish for 182.5 days in a calendar year?

    Would 1/3 make "better" sense?.......That would be 121.66 days out of 365....that's even a lot.

    So how's about 1/4 ?...that would be 91.25 days out of 365.......that's pretty do-able...

    So you have a family of 4....two adults and two kids...say...10 and 12...

    Maybe we need to take a hard pencil to this and see just how many pounds of fish that it would take to feed your family of 4 for 91.25 days....X's one meal per day.....

    "IF"...each and every one of you could eat a 16 ounce portion or fish each time you sat down then it's pretty simple.....filet out enough fish so that you have 365 pound of filets.....it's really that simple....

    But the problem is.....not everyone sits down and eats a pound of filets every time they eat........like I do...

    I like catching YFT, Mako, Wahoo, Cobia, Mahi and Kings.....and as many of you offshore guys can attest......it's pretty easy to score 365 pounds of filets in one day if the fish gods are on your side....

    Should you have 6 guys out fishing with you....and everything is biting it's pretty easy to understand that if you keep bailing fish like cotton you really only have to go fishing one day a year....:rotflmao
    Agree with you there. It only takes one good cobia trip and im done. Usually if i can get a 50lb or a couple 30s im good for the summer. Add in some mahi here and there and i can have friends over for a cookout. The last 4 summers, i caught 2 50lb cobias right off the bat, the others i got skunked and i got a 15 lber. Didnt have to really go after them anymore once i get the big one and tried trolling the rest of the year. But picking up a dolphin here and there, usually 5-15lbs, not loading the boat(bc im not that good) makes for good sandwiches.
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Glad I'm retired and can fish any day I choose...makes it really easy to release all my fish...

    And on that day I'm feeling really REDNECKY :grin....I can keep a nice Red and eat it fresh.

    That's usually what I do. Every once and a while I feel like having fish and keep one and eat it that night. Offshore or large fish like cobia would obviously be different
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    A) Sailfish are legal to harvest.
    B) People eat sailfish.
    C) I've been on this forum since 2001
    D) I like being a Redneck.:banana
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    You mean to tell me you have never had hardboiled sea turtle eggs and sailfish soup?! Dude, you are missing out big time. I usually cast net some snook off my dock to go as a good filet on the side. Mmm delish!

    Maybe the joke is on me, but that sounds highly illegal. I may just be more evolved than most on here, I only catch and release and starting to reduce my fishing as well. Just not enough fish and too many eager to hurt as many as they can.
  • bonephish wrote: »
    D) I like being a Redneck.:banana

    You are not a redneck. You are a flatbilly.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

    "Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

    "All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,954 Admin
    I will gladly release a sailfish when you give me back my Red Snapper.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc




  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    FishInFL wrote: »
    Maybe the joke is on me, but that sounds highly illegal. I may just be more evolved than most on here, I only catch and release and starting to reduce my fishing as well. Just not enough fish and too many eager to hurt as many as they can.

    Lol I for one, am pulling your leg. Just playing with you that's all!

    Good to see you care about the resource, some out there dont
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG
    FishInFL wrote: »
    I may just be more evolved than most on here,

    That is quite possible... You are what the rest of mankind will become far in the future....
    Do you have wings? I sure hope we evolve into a cross between an osprey and a Gannet....what a fisherman i'll be! :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG
    FishInFL wrote: »
    I only catch and release and starting to reduce my fishing as well.

    Fill out your request for both Knighthood and Sainthood and see what comes of it.... :rotflmao
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,345 Admiral
    I'm Glad to see ya'll doing Catch and Release. Leaves more for me.:kick
    Really pissed me off when all them Feel Good Tarpon regs started . You lay a 100 pounder bout 12 inchs down and mount Tomatoes on top...son you got a Garden now. Family could have maters all year on that fish ,:)
    Now we have to pollute with fertilizers and such.
    I was saving the Earth one Tarpon at a time . No more Jewfish heads for the Melons either.....:cry
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    FishInFL wrote: »
    Maybe the joke is on me, but that sounds highly illegal. I may just be more evolved than most on here, I only catch and release and starting to reduce my fishing as well. Just not enough fish and too many eager to hurt as many as they can.

    So you don't eat any seafood at all? Because if you do, then someone had to "not release it". Same goes for any meat you eat, even plants had to die for you to consume. To each their own, I don't want to be around when we evolve to not eat anything.:huh
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,345 Admiral
    I met a Fella one time thought that way.
    Only ate Whole Grains and Bean Sprouts. Thought they were savin the Planet.
    Till I told them bout all them Spotted Fawns and Phesants that got wrapped up in that Wheat Field combine out West.
    How bout them 47 Possums and 10 coons got ran over by the 18 Wheeler hauling your Green Food to Whole Food Kum Ba Ya Market.
    Told him if he wanted to be Zero Impact...I got a 9mm he could use long as he did it off the dock so the Catfish could Re Cycle him.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,202 Officer
    :rotflmao
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Zaraspooker123Zaraspooker123 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Fillets go into the grinder for the homemade chum if you're into making your own. As long as you have a good recipe with other components to get the scent out it wouldn't hurt to put more delicious morsels in the slick.

    Sailfish head? C'mon man…
    1997 Egret 18'9'' Proud owner and caretaker. Fly and light tackle enthusiast. Rip lips! :USA :cool: :hail:wink

    HSL Love my town
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    FishInFL wrote: »
    I may just be more evolved than most on here, I only catch and release and starting to reduce my fishing as well. Just not enough fish and too many eager to hurt as many as they can.

    Hey, kid, you are "evolving" from a sportsman to a vegan and need to join these people... http://www.peta.org/
Sign In or Register to comment.