Home General Fishing

Old Fish in Freezer

I've been cleaning out one of my Freezers. I came across a bunch of 2/3 year old frozen Fillets.
Mostly Snook and Reds with a Cobia and an old Sailfish head I been meaning to mount.
Looks like their burned pretty bad.
I hate to just throw them away , Will a Friends of Cats type place take them ?
Their not real Oily Fish so I 'm not sure about grinding them up for Chum.
Anyone grind their old fish up... ?
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    A sailfish head! You gotta be kiddin me! You should join another form without the "sportsman" in the title!
  • linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    FishInFL wrote: »
    A sailfish head! You gotta be kiddin me! You should join another form without the "sportsman" in the title!

You mean youve never done it? Chopping up sailfish head and boiling it is the best soup/broth ive ever had. Bonefish also makes the best shark bait out of anything i ever tried. Super hard to get though
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    I just respect the environment and the fishery, unlike others
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Not even going to get into a sportsman debate but will suggest seeing if some guy running crab traps could use them.

Doubt a gator farm would take them but you can check or just defrost and feed the neighborhood flugars.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG
    Grind & Added in to spice up your chum....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG

Is there a *Florida Sailfish head* Forum? Maybe we could get one here...they do like sub forums around here. :grin
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,944 AG
    I just respect the environment and the fishery, unlike others
    What's wrong with taking a sailfish?
    Are they endangered?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Sailfish are dolphins with beaks.

Great fish, but not in short supply. To each their own.

As to the fillets, probably decent crab trap baits. Now that's more a shame than taking a sail, but it happens to everyone now and then.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,833 Captain
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    What's wrong with taking a sailfish?
    Are they endangered?

I guess that would depend on how you define endangered?

I would bet more red snapper than sailfish, get caught and released this year off the east coast of Florida.

Just sayin:grin
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,105 Moderator
    Use them to bait a pinfish trap
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,954 Admin
    I've been cleaning out one of my Freezers. I came across a bunch of 2/3 year old frozen Fillets.
    Mostly Snook and Reds with a Cobia and an old Sailfish head I been meaning to mount.
    Looks like their burned pretty bad.
    I hate to just throw them away , Will a Friends of Cats type place take them ?
    Their not real Oily Fish so I 'm not sure about grinding them up for Chum.
    Anyone grind their old fish up... ?

My cats wont touch my fish if I give them some let alone freezer burned fish. They have evolved into dry food fanatics. The fish is now garbage, throw it away. Maybe a raccoon will tip your trash can and eat it, other than that it has no value. Does the sailfish head still have a full bill on it? Could make a lawn ornament out of it.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Wow lol a self proclaimed fish harasser.... whoops, i mean a respecful catch and release guy:rolleyes:
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    My cats wont touch my fish if I give them some let alone freezer burned fish. They have evolved into dry food fanatics. The fish is now garbage, throw it away. Maybe a raccoon will tip your trash can and eat it, other than that it has no value. Does the sailfish head still have a full bill on it? Could make a lawn ornament out of it.

When my dog was alive he just loved eating fish....mostly BBQ'd mako or thresher shark...

But if you had smoked fish around he lost what little marbles he had and would eat 20 pounds if you let him....
  • sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    Throw it in the ocean crabs gotta eat 2.
    Hobie outback
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,499 Officer
    Bury it at the base of a banana plant or some other fruit tree. Fish is one of the best fertilizers.
    Giimoozaabi
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer

Is there a SPORTSMAN FOR SPORTSMAN KILLING AND GRILLIN SAILFISH forum? Honestly we would have let this fish go but it died of a heart attack when the flash went off. I'm looking for a good spot now to load up on huge Permit when my son and his friends comes down, any help would be appreciated.

Now I have to kill another one on purpose to try out linesider 159's Sailfish head soup/broth, I knew I should have kept the head. linesider can you post up recipe?
  • EngguyEngguy Posts: 191 Deckhand
    If you use a vacuum packing machine you'll never have freezer burned fish or steaks. The fish will eat good even after a year or 2.
    <((>><
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,278 AG
    Engguy wrote: »
    If you use a vacuum packing machine you'll never have freezer burned fish or steaks. The fish will eat good even after a year or 2.
    <((>><

3 years even. Just did some.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    I just panko battered and fried some yellow fin bellys from 2012. Delicious!, made rolls with it.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    You guys ever tried grilled tarpon? To die for.
  • FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    You could make a fish chowder/stew with it. I like fishier tasting fish for that kind of stuff anyway. Gives it some flavor.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    Cyclist wrote: »
    I just panko battered and fried some yellow fin bellys from 2012. Delicious!, made rolls with it.

Fried tuna??

Gross.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    In all seriousness I once found some speck filets in the freezer that were at least a year old. I was gonna throw them away but my buddy said he'd eat them. He loved it. I didn't vacuum pack them or anything just threw them in a bag and froze them.
    tankard wrote: »
    Fried tuna??

Gross.

You were not invited any way. It was very good.
    Most Americans are **** when it comes to eating old frozen food, leftovers, etc.

Yet the same people will eat crappy fast food all day long and drink cheap rice beer. Go figure.
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    Most Americans are **** when it comes to eating old frozen food, leftovers, etc.

Yet the same people will eat crappy fast food all day long and drink cheap rice beer. Go figure.

Is Busch Light a rice beer?
    MGTeacher wrote: »
    Is Busch Light a rice beer?

Ingredients: Water; Corn, Rice and/or Dextrose Syrup; Barley Malt; Hops; Hop Extract; Malt Extract; Yeast. - See more at: http://www.tapintoyourbeer.com/index.cfm?id=96#sthash.lvvQ341r.dpuf
  • MGTeacherMGTeacher South GaPosts: 1,800 Captain
    Ingredients: Water; Corn, Rice and/or Dextrose Syrup; Barley Malt; Hops; Hop Extract; Malt Extract; Yeast. - See more at: http://www.tapintoyourbeer.com/index.cfm?id=96#sthash.lvvQ341r.dpuf

Thanks for the link
    MGTeacher wrote: »
    Thanks for the link

Nothing wrong with bush light - great boat beer.

Another derail about beer.
    http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/
    First of all, I was able to obtain a baseline list of “legal” additives allowed in beer from the book “Chemicals Additives in Beer” by the Center of Science and Public Interest. This list allowed me to ask specific questions about each beer I investigated. For example – beer sold here in America can contain several of the following ingredients:

Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) – alcohol is already addictive with some people, but with MSG?! Holy smokes.

Propylene Glycol (an ingredient found in anti-freeze)

Calcium Disodium EDTA (made from formaldehyde, sodium cayanide, and Ethylenediamine)

Many different types of sulfites and anti-microbial preservatives (linked to allergies and asthma)

Natural Flavors (can come from anything natural including a beavers anal gland)

High Fructose Corn Syrup

GMO Sugars – Dextrose, Corn Syrup

Caramel Coloring (Class III or IV made from ammonia and classified as a carcinogen)

FD&C Blue 1 (Made from petroleum, linked to allergies, asthma and hyperactivity)

FD&C Red 40 (Made from petroleum, linked to allergies, asthma and hyperactivity)

FD&C Yellow 5 (Made from petroleum, linked to allergies, asthma and hyperactivity)

Insect-Based Dyes: carmine derived from cochineal insects to color their beer.

Animal Based Clarifiers: Findings include isinglass (dried fish bladder), gelatin (from skin, connective tissue, and bones), and casein (found in milk)

Foam Control: Used for head retention; (glyceryl monostearate and pepsin are both potentially derived from animals)

BPA (Bisphenol A is a component in many can liners and it may leach into the beer. BPA can mimic the female hormone estrogen and may affect **** count, and other organ functions.)

Carrageenan (linked to inflammation in digestive system, IBS and considered a carcinogen in some circumstances)

During my investigation, I couldn’t get a single mainstream beer company to share the full list of ingredients contained in their beer. But I did get some of them to fess up to the use of these ingredients in writing so I’m going to share this information with you now.