Home General Fishing

The Cones

Nickt09Nickt09 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
Hi everyone
Getting organized for my next run and could use some help. I tried searching the forum but couldn't find specifics on what I'm looking for. I've seen several of you mention trolling and bottom fishing The Cones. However, I'm not familiar with this and didn't see it on my Hot Spots map. I run out of Port Canaveral. Are The Cones due east 30 miles...I'm just unclear of where I should heading. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Theyre on the top spot maps. Even marked. They are huge cone like humps. Indicated by tight circles on the topography lines. The formation is over 50 miles long id say. You have it right, east approximately 30-35 nautical miles. It usually is along the west side of the gulf stream. Current rips usually so bring 12-18 oz weights for bottom fishing.
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,954 Admin
    Outside Canaveral the Cones are part of the Oculina Bank and being a protected area there are a few additional fishing regulations but nothing to worry about. You can not anchor on the bank in restricted area but you would not want to anyway. The depths are 200-300 feet and when the current is not ripping its a great place to drift and bottom fish. Some cones have 60 feet of relief and some very nice fish can be landed there. At times the gulf stream is so close creating a 4-6 knot current. Live biat or big heavy jigs are popular selections. You can also troll for dolphin sailfish wahoo and billfish. Good luck.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc