Home General Fishing

Vanquish 10LT vs vanquish 12LT fly reel

My question is, why is the vanquish 10LT fly reel has more line capacity than the vanquish 12LT? I want one for tarpon and i need alot of line capacity and usually a 12 is perfect but need capacity. Also since it has less line capacity, i would have to load it up with braid instead on decron line.

Replies

• PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    300 yds of 20lb braid for backing.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,406 Captain
    Pilchard wrote: »
    300 yds of 20lb braid for backing.

The 12LT holds 450yds of 40lb hollow core spectra with 50yds of braided mono and a 500gr intermediate head.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,101 Moderator
    Although there is a lot of knowledge among the members of this forum, my guess is that you would have to contact Lansom, the manufacturer of the reel to ask why the reel designated with a larger number has less line capacity than the one with the smaller number
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,020 AG
    Do you really need a lot of line capacity? Why? Are you fishing by yourself?

The reason I ask is that I've found fly fishing guys generally keep far more backing/line than they need....and I've caught some large tarpon on reels that many of you guys would laugh at....and it's about drag not line capacity.

If a tarpon gets more than 200yds away from you, it deserves to go free, or you need to learn how to chase fish, IMO.

I'd get the smaller/lighter reel and load it with braid. Just make sure it's got a solid drag system. If you're looking at the Vanquish line, I'd go for the 8, not the 10 or 12 -- and I realize that not using a 12 weight reel for large tarpon may be considered taboo by many of you, but those ounces you save make for a much more enjoyable experience fishing for tarpon, IMO, and far outweigh the disadvantages.

FWIW, I use braid on all my tarpon reels.

All of the above IMO, and your mileage may vary....
  • thanks guys ill take it in consideration.