Home Tropics

Bimini Wahoo Smackdown 2015

CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
Boat is loaded and iced. Still plenty to do but bulk is done. First light go. Looking forward to fishing it and not dealing with all the headaches that go with running one. Plan is to clear... Maybe fish a little and relax. Tuesday possible we will go play fish as well. Wednesday and Thursday looks like we will be pinned to the pilings. Little more time to say hello to old friends and crawl head first into some good local cooking.
I don't drink (havn't touched a drop in 15 years) but that in no way means I don't love a good party time with good people...

Replies

• CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,777 Captain
    Crossed without incident from marathon. Customs easy. Place is empty. Grabbed 50 conch from Mike and about to create the monster conch salad of all time!
    Every body came to visit. Like I never left at all....
  • b-bliggityb-bliggity Posts: 110 Officer
    Good luck! Post pics if you catch, or see, any monsters!
    2005 Bluewater 2850 T/250 Zukes (current) (Jupiter/Marathon)
    2006 Yellowfin 31 T/300(2013) Zukes (current) (Guana Cay, Abaco)
    2011 Gheenoe LT25 20 Yammy 4S (current) (Everywhere)
  • biminibradbiminibrad Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Blowing SWat 30 with seas 5-7' right now.
    :nono
    Touch bumpy... Those that fished today all did ok... Half the fleet that was signed up made it over then it was cancelled. Owners who went to effort and expense of getting here not pleased so an impromptu event is being run in its place. The "Show Up Smackdown" is already up and running. Dialing in details as this is being typed. Can't keep real fishermen down. Tomorrow, Thursday, and Saturday look brutal so it will be held at this point on the original fishing day Friday at least...
    Man, that's a major bummer... Nothing like last minute notice of cancelation. :machinegun
  • Bimini DreamBimini Dream Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Not the wisest of choices for sure.
    A Part Of Paradise
    http://onetoughkitty.com
  • Did anyone really think this was a good idea?
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    Did anyone really think this was a good idea?

Yes, the same guy who bet $50 on a 45-1 shot in a $1500 claiming race
    I understand weather can't be controlled. Its more work to cancel than it is to run one , I understand that as well. Tough choice for a director to make but it should be done before boats do make the cross. Not after... This forecast has shown bad for a long time. When I used to run a lot of events, standard procedure was to get two concurrent bad reports and pull the plug like 5 days or more if possible in advance. Then I have had weather suddenly go bad as well. Rather than cancel I have offered refunds to those who couldn't safely attend but for those who were already there kept it open at captains discretion. I ate that loss and paid stated purse. Its one of the risks one takes. Not gonna bash. Our impromptu one is more or less a bragging rights one with each boat chipping in for a trophy that we'll get after the fact. Just making the best out of a tough situation is all. Salvaging what good time can be had is a good thing.
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,106 Officer
    Tournament should never be cancelled..... Those who showed up should get rewarded and have the ability to fish the tournament... Entry fees should not be returned to those who didn't show up...... Tight lines and hope it all turned out well... Again just my opinion ... Post pics of fish for us here at work and home
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,106 Officer
    I like the idea of canceling the 5 days before ..., good point
  • Serenity NowSerenity Now Posts: 442 Deckhand
    Joining in late but how has the fishing been on the time you could get out. Any pics yet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Surreel Life"
    2014 Seahunt Gamefish 25
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,793 Admiral
    Same could be said of those that crossed 5 days early with an upcoming forecast of 25-30 knot winds. I would think it WOULD be cancelled and not go. It's a no win, and weather forecast can change day to day. What's the right day to cancel? 4 days out, 5, 6, not even scientists know what will happen 5-6 days out. Front gets held up, and the weather is good everyone says "why did you cancel".

And Paul, let's be honest, you have ulterior motives for stirring the pot in regards to this tourney. If you didn't, you wouldn't even be on here taking hidden shots at the decision. A year ago you were telling teams not to come to the event, now your a cheerleader? C'mon.
    Right now, it is very fishable. Nw at 10-15 seas 3-4' expect a torn ament next year at the bimini sands
    biminibrad wrote: »
    Right now, it is very fishable. Nw at 10-15 seas 3-4' expect a torn ament next year at the bimini sands
    You know I'll be there for that one!!
    A Part Of Paradise
    As I said. For tourney directors it really is a no win situation. I don't miss these type situations that do come up. The fishing days or at least Friday shows very fishable. The crossing this morn even not great but doable (I have seen a center and smallish express come today but havn't asked how it was crossing). Still its borderline dangerous or will be soon. Tournament fishing for some is a very serious thing. Its rough tough competition, not for the faint of heart. Its about manning up and doing everything in your power to do better than the next guy. For others its about getting out of the house with some buddies go fishing, have fun, and relax. Both types need to be catered to by host event. Its tough. So once again I will not bash the decisions made on either side.
    As mentioned, for those of us here we're gonna do a fun thing for ourselves. Not the end of the world. Bowl of conch salad will be the prize for top boat... :)
    On the fishing side of things, we havn't gone but the others have. Most everybody getting wahoo with a couple good looking ones in the mix. Couple big dolphin mixed in. A few out now and possible we will slide out as well... Tomorrow though looks brutal and imagine we'll all be pinned to the pilings.
  • pescador67pescador67 Posts: 66 Deckhand
    Same could be said of those that crossed 5 days early with an upcoming forecast of 25-30 knot winds. I would think it WOULD be cancelled and not go. It's a no win, and weather forecast can change day to day. What's the right day to cancel? 4 days out, 5, 6, not even scientists know what will happen 5-6 days out. Front gets held up, and the weather is good everyone says "why did you cancel".

And Paul, let's be honest, you have ulterior motives for stirring the pot in regards to this tourney. If you didn't, you wouldn't even be on here taking hidden shots at the decision. A year ago you were telling teams not to come to the event, now your a cheerleader? C'mon.

What he said.

When Compleat says "I will not bash the decisions made by either side" right after bashing them, it is like me saying "It's a shame they had to cancel because BBGC's tournaments have improved so much in the past 2 years.
    On the subject of cheerleading or not. Last year I simply said I am not involved. I did not endorse or shoot it as it was an unknown quantity. I told nobody not to fish. I did tell one that I was surprised he was fishing after he had told me he wouldn't be, but then in same sentence wished him luck. If I still had an issue with this tourney I would not have supported the second or attended this one.
  • chaseuonechaseuone Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    As usual Complet (Paul Cameron) is way off base, is all this guy do is drive everyone NUTS!

All tournament entries were on notice with emails personally by me, also all tournament entries were on notice by the weather forcast. I personally pulled the plug Tuesday as I followed the weather to see if there would be a break in it. Three days prior to the Captain's meeting, 4 days prior to the actual start date.

It is hard enough to postpone any tournament for any reason, we cannot predict the weather, we can only respect it. We have 16 boats registered & 7 more who would have registered this week if the weather was favorable, for a total of 23 boats.

The five boats who did show up, showed up in the only weather window which was available Monday & Tuesday morning, according to the weather forecast. All of these boats will be entitled to complete refunds & all of these boats will have dinner & drinks on me tonight, along with a full compliment of Official Wahoo Smackdown VI Dri Fit Shirts & bags. I will also give them the Three Nights of dockage incurred for the tournament at NO CHARGE !

I have a list of emails from all entries & I am in contact with them all on a weekly basis, sometimes before you stir the pot Complet, get your facts straight.

The following is the last emails sent to our tournament entries.

I have waited for the last possible minute to call this tournament, but at this point I see no alternatives.
    We are moving the tournament to March 12, 13 & 14.

I can only apologize for the weather, I cannot predict it. The safety of all is important to Bimini Big Game Group & The Wahoo Smackdown.

More so, tournaments are suppose to be fun, competitive & safe. As I know many of you come over with family & young ones I refuse to put them at risk.

We all have busy lives & it would be easy for all to cross over this past Monday & today, but without our commitment to our employees, customers & for some employers, I could not expect you all to cross over that early only to face 25 to 30 miles an hour winds Friday & Saturday.....
    So again our new dates are March 12, 13 & 14, 2015
    Thank You all for your Valued Support !
    Always Chase Your Dreams
    Captain Chase
    www.chasendreams.com
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,793 Admiral
    Sounds like the right way to handle it to me. It's winter wahoo fishing, we are at the weathers mercy.
    AMEN !
    pescador67 wrote: »
    What he said.

When Compleat says "I will not bash the decisions made by either side" right after bashing them, it is like me saying "It's a shame they had to cancel because BBGC's tournaments have improved so much in the past 2 years.
    Always Chase Your Dreams
    Captain Chase
    www.chasendreams.com
    Thank You for your Support !
    Sounds like the right way to handle it to me. It's winter wahoo fishing, we are at the weathers mercy.
    Always Chase Your Dreams
    Captain Chase
    www.chasendreams.com
    Where am I stirring? I said its a no win for you or any director and I don't envy being stuck by weather either. I personally don't disagree with the call to pull the plug. I came here to support the event and still do. The dockage is indeed a nice gesture and I for one see that as a great move. No place am I slamming you the club or anybody.
    Absolutely at the weathers Mercey. As a show promoter, during hurricane months, I purchase " event stoppage " insurance. This will cover all losses I would incur which would be rent paid to the centers, advertising and money I would need to return to the exhibitors if I cancelled the show. It is pretty reasonable. For 350k of coverage it was like $2500
    Sounds to me as you did all you could have and then some.
    A Part Of Paradise
    The boats that went out had mixed results with a couple getting zero and a couple getting a couple and one 1 for 4. Big Viking crossed and went up to bay. Big yacht tried the cut and caught bottom. Backed out and went south. I'm guessing to Cat?
    Wind is up and growing. Rain seems to be done... Big ballyhoos around cleaning tables today. New resident big cuda. Not a load but some sharks. Food is good upstairs... So, all is fine and dandy for the time being...
    Dinner was great. Tournament director has made great efforts to make those who came more comfortable. That is deeply appreciated and goes a long way to keep everybody happy. Solid move and I give his gestures a thumbs up.
    A little too little and a little too late
    A Part Of Paradise