What and where to fish Siesta Key/Sarasota in April

Hello Friends
I will be vacationing April 16-23 on Siesta Key. I am looking forward to wade/shore fishing. I'm not looking for people to reveal secret spots, but am hopeful someone could give me a few general locations to try out. I am also wondering what kind of fish I can expect near shore that time of year. I will be bringing both a fly rod and a spinning rod.

A couple years ago my wife and I went to Sanibel Island and Florida Sportsmen folks were extremely helpful in giving me a few pointers. I caught several sea trout and a snook, and a kind gent even took me in his boat for a day and we caught some Spanish mackerel, so thanks in advance.

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,873 Captain
    New pass.
    There's a huge flat behind the Ringling museum that you can wade on low tide.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
    Oh and there's a big flat on the right side after you pass the bridge on the way to St. Armands circle.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    You can access New Pass on either side of the bridge going from St Armands to Longboat Key. There are often guys fishing both sides of the bridge pilings. I have fished Big Pass also. You can access this via Shell beach and wade either north or south. Some of the docks hold mangrove snapper. Stay shallow and cast to the deeper water. Stay away from swimmers. They spook the fish and also I've had one crazy lady call the cops on me for fishing by her. The passes are best when the water is moving.

Point of Rocks has a lot of structure (rocks) and holds many different types of fish. Last turtle beach has much better fishing than Crescent beach. It has a deep cut where the waves break and there's often fish cruising in that cut. It won't be fast and furious, but you ought to catch some fish there if you put your time in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Peter JonasPeter Jonas Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Thanks kmagnuss and Rmd!
    Do people fish the bay side or the ocean side, or both?
    Both (we don't have an ocean on this side though :wink )
    Do people fish the bay side or the ocean side, or both?

You can fish either side. Look at the pics in the post by AndrewS. If you see that sort of beach with rocks, cuts, and varied topography that is your best bet for catching fish on the beaches. Otherwise if its just a sand desert there won't be as much out there until the bait shows up.

Also, there is a broken down pier or dock on the North side of Siesta which extends into the Gulf. It is located in Siesta Village. Parking is a challenge there, but I always see guys fishing there. I tried it out once and caught some smaller mangrove snapper.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    Some of the good areas have NO TRESPASSIN signs now. LOL!
    AndrewS wrote: »

There are some areas that are on the south end of the key where there are no trespassing signs. I believe that refers to the condos and their grassy common areas. We're free to walk the beach all we want. The problem is that the surf can be rough and some of the areas can be pretty rock and treacherous, especially at higher tides. I am guessing people walk up and onto the condo's property to avoid getting crushed by the rocks and surf.

Personally, I would prefer a trespassing ticket as opposed to a broken leg or concussion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Good to be aware of the trespassing issue. In Wisconsin we can walk through private property as long as we stay within the high water marks of a stream.
    I should add, we can't walk through posted land to get to the stream. You have to get on somewhere where there is public access or an easment.
    There are a couple are on the south end of the key where the rocks come all the way up to the property. I believe its a seawall. They just don't want you up and on top of the seawall on their grass. I understand their perspective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,478 Officer
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    There's a huge flat behind the Ringling museum that you can wade on low tide.

Just watch out for the super sized sting rays and the super sized bull sharks that usually spawn on April 16 thru 23 in that area :)

You can try going South to Turtle Beach. Trough is much mo' better there than Siesta. That time of year you may get an early season snook, and def have a chance of flounder. Walk the beach from the campground and walk North and chuck chuck chuck.
    Just watch out for the super sized sting rays and the super sized bull sharks that usually spawn on April 16 thru 23 in that area :)

:funnypost
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    That was ment as a joke.
    That was ment as a joke.

Its actually true though!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]