Boat Dock Etiquette

After reading the good discussion on dry storage etiquette, I thought I would ask the same question on boat docks. Whenever I pull my 27 footer up to a dock, whether it is a restaurant (and hence free) or a marina that charges a small fee (like Jensen’s on Captiva), and someone helps me tie up, I always tip $5-10. I assume that is in the ball park but just curious as to what others think is the right thing to do.

Replies

• idlerickidlerick Posts: 229 Deckhand
    When I pull up in my Gheenoe, they usually ask me to anchor off a ways and to swim in, so I never have the problem.
    :)
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,848 Captain
    Maybe something in the neighborhood of .25 per ft. for that size vessel.
  • RoydawnRoydawn Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    PRassa, I have a 25' boat & boat in similar waters. I think $10 makes me look a little cheap! Lol, I usaully tip $5 at a marina/fuel dock etc. If I'm going in to a free tie up/dock & another boater helps me I don't offer a tip unless it's unuasl circumstances, ie very windy, super tight space. They get a big thank you & greeting. I help other boaters tie up all the time & never expect or accept a tip. If they insist I tell them to "pass it forward". Roy
  • PRassaPRassa Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    Yeah, I would not tip another boater, as I think it is "boater courtesy" that we help each other out. What I am talking about are the hired hands who are there to direct traffic and help out. There is a guy at the Waterfront restuart in St James city occasionally and I wonder if he works on tips alone.
  • Here's the exception. I never tip at marine fuel facilities. I suspect their profit (or gratuity) is gained in the 30% price difference from highway to dockside. And there should not be highway taxes applied to it. Which I suspect there are not, yet it seems part of the price anyway.

I don't know for certain, but it sure seems that way.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,848 Captain
    Here's the exception. I never tip at marine fuel facilities. I suspect their profit (or gratuity) is gained in the 30% price difference from highway to dockside. And there should not be highway taxes applied to it. Which I suspect there are not, yet it seems part of the price anyway.

I don't know for certain, but it sure seems that way.

Marinas usually don't have the luxury of heavy traffic buying high priced coffee, fountain drinks, smokes ,lotto tickets and Big Bite hot dogs :)

They have got to make it up somewhere.:shrug