Berleypro LED light review.

Nick561Nick561 Posts: 339 Deckhand
So I was given a light for testing purposes and for a honest review. I am not being paid for it nor am I obligated to say I like it. Now that that's out of the way

It's a pretty cool kayak light
It offers white led light 360 degrees and a additional light angled at about a 45 degree angle down over you as a work light
Out of the box it has a great fit and finish. The mast is carbon fiber and flawless. The plugs they use are high end water proof plugs and come with a cap for when not in use. It comes with about 9 ft of marine grade wire to connect to your battery. The light is mounted with a supplied railblaza starport mount but I have been told they are working on alt mounts. I hooked this thing up to a power supply in my house and WOW. This thing is crazy bright. I can't wait to get it on my yak. Stay tuned for a full review

Replies

• SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Does the angled light have a separate on off switch.

Also what's the cost, good looking light and do like the worklight feature.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,302 Moderator
    You have my attention, I have often considered a light that connects to my battery instead of using the flash light I currently have.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Nick561Nick561 Posts: 339 Deckhand
    I believe the price will be 199.99. It may seem a little high but to be honest the fit and finish is there. You can tell it uses high end components. Again I don't work for them so this is just my 2 cents. I'm gonna use the crap out of this thing so if it has a weakness you guys will hear about it. The angled overhead light is on with the all around. To be honest I don't think it would make a difference if it had a seprate switch. This thing is so bright it looks like daylight when it's on. From what i understand these are pretty popular overseas.
    Oh and I asked about battery draw. I was told under 300ma. So very little due to the led's. I'll see if I can throw this on a multimeter and verify that #
    What is the exact length of the mast?
    Also, in event of an unfortunate capsizing, is the LED fixture itself waterproof?
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,541 Captain
    I too will look forward to your report.
    The overall length of the light base to tip is 47". I asked about the unit being sealed I was told it has a ip65 rating so should be good if you flip but is not made to be used submerged
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,704 Captain
    Nick561 wrote: »
    The overall length of the light base to tip is 47". I asked about the unit being sealed I was told it has a ip65 rating so should be good if you flip but is not made to be used submerged

A bit pricey, but looks pretty cool. Wish it had a higher rating like ip67.

http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart

Most "water proof" vhf radios and fish finders are rated IPX7, and even then, they sometimes fail when tested by an accidental kayak roll.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/jensen-marine-electronics/267442-water-resistant-vs-waterproof-ipx-ratings-explained.html#b
    Nick561 wrote: »

Aaand you just lost this customer lol. Better to stick with my waterproof flashlight after all.
  • JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    Yikes $200? I need one for my kayak but I guess you just can't beat what the visicarbon pro offers for $110 less.
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    My life and my gear are worth a lot more than $200. If I'm out at night, fishing offshore, I want a real light. Not a flash light or a candle at the end of a safety flag. My concern is weather ability. You can take it down for rough launches and landings, but how will it hold up to repeated exposure to salt water spray. Looking forward to your future reports on durability.
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
    **** sure it's worth more than $200.00 but why buy a product that's more expensive and not watertight for over $100.00 more? Doesn't make sense to me. On the other hand you have a product that hundreds of kayak anglers already use and already proven?

Brighter doesn't equate to better. The higher the light is mounted the better it is because the earth is not flat. Also too much brightness will ruin your night vision and there goes your situational awareness.

But hey people buy the latest and greatest all the time no matter the cost and no matter the function.
    Another aspect you guys might not think about is light for you self when night fishing. For visibility the visicarbon in nice (I own one). But it is a light to be seen with. It does not offer much light that is useful when I am fishing. I wanted a light that lit up around me to make it easier for me when I'm fishing. Here is a example of them lighting up the dark on a beach. Not mine.

Also I was assured by the company it should not be damaged if flipped and underwater. It's just not made for underwater use

I think this is a different product the the visicarbon with different uses. I'll get a review soon
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    **** sure it's worth more than $200.00 but why buy a product that's more expensive and not watertight for over $100.00 more? Doesn't make sense to me. On the other hand you have a product that hundreds of kayak anglers already use and already proven?

Brighter doesn't equate to better. The higher the light is mounted the better it is because the earth is not flat. Also too much brightness will ruin your night vision and there goes your situational awareness.

But hey people buy the latest and greatest all the time no matter the cost and no matter the function.

LOL.. Whats proven? I have owned every light on the market with the exception of this light system and supernova system. AND they suck, either its really dim or dose not hold up. I have a box of kayak lights at home that i will sell you cheap. Trust your life to a tiny flash light bulb all you want, but i value my safety. My 2 cents.. Looking forward to your product testing as well.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
    Whats proven you ask? The Tek-tite Mark III thats on top of of the visicarbon pro. Sealed and submersible to a depth that you won't even experience while kayak fishing. If it's not bright enough you can buy the one that comes with four LEDs. It's self contained so less parts to go wrong. Just makes sense to me. We have used those lights in the Coast Guard and had mini versions on our PFD's before we had to use chem lights.

A very common issue, people leaving batteries inside their electronics and leave it outside. Bad idea as the battery will leak and render whatever you're using useless.

You can keep those cheap flashlights Pottymouth. Thanks for the offer though.

Looking forward to your review Nick!
    Since the visicarbon seems to popular i thought i would compare the two to get my point about usable light across. I want a light to allows me see when im fishing as well as people to see me.
    As far as waterproofing go's, Like i said i was assured it will survive a dunk. I plan to stow it for surf launch's and landings.

garage no lights
    F2B40016-23D1-4765-BD25-5BADFA353B2D.jpg

visicarbon only
    752923D6-AFAF-4F34-8B99-23C15BF401EF.jpg

berleypro only
    5088D49D-2333-4DA5-96CA-C5FEA41942CB.jpg

both
    87A66DF7-621D-4CB3-97F4-A500B868D2A0.jpg

install pics
    93DD2623-EAAC-4A8C-928B-E795D8EC3779.jpg
    46711DB1-2A9F-426D-8160-CEB367ED4A05.jpg5164CFB5-DA55-4270-9362-44B1F607AC56.jpg

62CDED98-007A-4E4F-BE8B-1CF3E56A5547.jpg
    One thing i wish the company provided for the price is a pass thru connecter. I will go to my hobie dealer tomarrow and get one. P.S. The Hobie one is excellent. ƒor any kayak!!
    Wow that's crazy bright! And I do understand what you're talking about useable light. If you fish a lot at nighttime it seems like a great option.

Thanks for the comparison Nick!
    Wow that's crazy bright! And I do understand what you're talking about useable light. If you fish a lot at nighttime it seems like a great option.

Thanks for the comparison Nick!

No worries. I have no dog in this fight. Like i said, I agreed to a HONEST review of a product in exchange for one. Weather i like it or not No sponsorship or anything. I just happen to like it so far.
    Personally I don't like the visi.. tried it a few times, not to my liking.
    That light is nice, but I don't think visi uses the same quality light..
    I really don't want to bash other lights. The truth of the mater is that the two lights are In Different category's altogether. I hope my pics showed this.
    So you dive with your light pottymouth? Good for you. Obviously I didn't mean you don't fish deep water with your rod and reel as I have seen your pictures.

Oring sealed. Cheap plastic? Guess what? Reverse Osmosis systems that runs at 2000 psi is "cheap plastic" sealed. Even hydraulic lines are "cheap plastic" sealed.

As for proof look up the Tek-tite Mark III and under the description. Pretty easy to find.

And you're right I don't know you so I don't know if you took care of your lights. Hey maybe it's user neglect (like how I explained about the batteries). It's funny how it took you three broken visicarbons to finally figure that out.

The reason we switched? Because chem lights are cheaper, it's the military.

Like I said the light that Nick is reviewing is very bright and great if you go out at night a lot. Also useful when rigging your stuff because it's so bright but if you just want a basic safety light other options are available.
  • BerleyProBerleyPro Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Hello everyone. My name is Santiago I am BerleyPro North America & Caribbean Rep. I have read all the chatter going back and forth about our Carbon Light Stick. And I appreciate the concerns regarding the light being submerged and how it would hold up in the weather.

To begin I thank Nick561 for posting his honest opinion on the light and sharing his thoughts. As he said BerleyPro will not hold anyone back from expressing their honest opinion of any of our products. In fact today 2/15/2015 is the first time I have seen any of these remarks about the lights on this forum.

As per the lights being submersible we do not sell them with that label they are not sold for submersible use and we will not claim that use. But one thing I will claim is this these lights have been in use in the Outback of Australia, in their lakes and Oceans for going on two years. I rain, hail, dust storms, and yes even after a kayak flip. We have yet to have any lights returned due to any failure. BerleyPro uses Deutsch connectors with the more expensive Gold pins, not the industry standard nickel plated. The Gold pins are more resistant to the elements, salt, water, and air.
    I myself having used a few other lights also found out that after awhile they do not continue to work so I too went to a flash light. Which I had to maintained it close by or end up having to search for it when I turned it off. Another thing I used was my head lamp but that to sometimes was a pain having to turn my neck in the right position. The BerleyPro Carbon Light stick is more expensive than other Safety Lights on the market, but that is just it BerleyPro is not a safety light it's a work light for early morning launches, foggy days, or Night Stalking or even a camping light, for your kayak the added addition is that it does make you more visible to other water craft in the area as well as your fishing buddies.
    If you're worried about if the light will work if you flip then to be honest don't buy our product. You have the same chances our light not working as you do your fish finder or any other electronic on board not working after a flip no matter what the rating is. If you cannot upright your kayak in 5 minutes chances are none of your electronics will be working anyway, and those that are probably won't be for long. As for the price compared to what is out there and their intended use hands down you can't compare the cost and the quality of this product. There is nothing out there like it.
    We at BerleyPro are not just here to sell and make money. We love this sport and are a part of it. It just so happens that we are able to enjoy part of our work alongside what we love most the sport of Kayak Fishing. My hopes were not to offend anyone but I am up front and honest with my words. If I have offended you I am truly sorry. God Bless
    Great response Santiago! Nick pointed out a great point when he said "useable" light which I admit I didn't think of. That is a great plus. Also I'm thinking the bright light will help with taking gopro pictures.
    BerleyPro, we welcome your feedback and look forward to more of Nick's reports.
    Joey, ease up a bit bro. I think I know what Potty is saying about the flashlights since I too have a collection of "kayak lights" that didn't stand up to the elements, and yeah it was frustrating since I go out maybe a tenth of how often he does. We've all been there. I now have a diver's flashlight with a diffusing cone on an old rod (with a flag) as my "poor-man's-visi-pole" :rotflmao
    We are gonna put the toughness thing to the test tonight. They said test it so I'm gonna. Got a 5 gal bucket of water for it when I get home. Stay tuned
    jcanracer wrote: »
    BerleyPro, we welcome your feedback and look forward to more of Nick's reports.
    Joey, ease up a bit bro. I think I know what Potty is saying about the flashlights since I too have a collection of "kayak lights" that didn't stand up to the elements, and yeah it was frustrating since I go out maybe a tenth of how often he does. We've all been there. I now have a diver's flashlight with a diffusing cone on an old rod (with a flag) as my "poor-man's-visi-pole" :rotflmao

Jcan, my response sounds aggressive because i didn't quote what potty said and now he has edited his reply as you can see on the timeline of my reply and his edits. I don't mean any hostility.
    Joe fizz, all I was saying ( trying to be nice, and not tell ya to go pound sand) is yes the light u mentioned is a good light. I'm not argumentative on that. What I am trying to say is that the visicarbon may look like the light you mentioned, but is a cheap knock off. How do you think that company can sell a 200+ dollar light for 60 bucks. Yes everything can be bootlegged. No where on the site mentions that the light is a Tektite mark iii, a matter of fact I contacted Dan Smullen technical resource manager for yak attack and asked if the light itself a Tektite. His answer No there are some simular features, but the light is specifically for yak attack. Take it however you want.. If u want to get excited and talk crap PM me I will be glad to abide. ..
    Aye! I wish you didn't EDIT your original post. No worries, I'll digress.

P.S. Don't know where you're coming up with the $200 price because the are $30 something.

Nick and Santiago, sorry for the derail. Looking forward to your testing.