Backwater Micros

Snookslayer772Snookslayer772 Posts: 170 Officer
With this constant pattern of cooler weather we have had lately in southeast Florida, the water temps have dropped and the fish are in their wintertime spots. I happened to do a little exploring lately and found a mess of little tarpon hanging in the deep backwater creeks trying to stay warm. A heavily weighted size 2 white shminnow has been the go to fly for these fish, presenting it with long and slow strips. I have jumped fish to 10 pounds or so and have seen a few 20 pounders roll, but have yet to get a hook in them. So for the time being i'm fine with the 1 to 5 pound devils....a tarpon's a tarpon in my book lol

Replies

• ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,051 Officer
    A **** of any size is well worth it!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • Flycaster1Flycaster1 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I've caught 1 tarpon on a spin reel...great fight even though he was small as well. My next quest is catching one on the fly rod. Any suggestions on where to find these in the Palm Beaches and Jupiter area?
  • Snookslayer772Snookslayer772 Posts: 170 Officer
    Flycaster1, I don't fish down there often, but i'd say a good starting point would be way back on the Loxahatchee in Jupiter. If you're not seeing them roll, watch the fish finder for deep holes with fish in them, most likely to find snook and other species in there too.
  • lost1317lost1317 Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Nice! Any tarpon is fun on fly. Hope you get that 20lber though.
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 658 Officer
    A Tarpon is a Tarpon, just getting the bite sometimes is enough. How cold is the water, it's been in the mid fifties here.

:thumbsup
  • Native21Native21 Posts: 42 Deckhand
    very nice..love the take .. that thump is like no other.. good job
  • Snookslayer772Snookslayer772 Posts: 170 Officer
    Super D, Water temps have been 60-65 around me.

lost1317, I was able to bust a 15lber two days ago, unfortunately it on a spinning rod...still fun though lol
  • lanjamlanjam Posts: 173 Officer
    Very Nice!!