2-8-15 LWI spearfishing Cobia and mahi

Headed out of LWI sunday morning for some spearfishing with our crew. Rough and nasty on the surface but the visibility was great and we had lots of action! We did several drifts between 100' and 180' Ended up with 3 nice cobias and a mahi. It was great to see a lot of cobes again as our last couple trips we have come up empty-handed. Here is the video from my gun-mounted gopro 3+.

https://vimeo.com/119190651

Replies

• SickleFinDreamsSickleFinDreams Posts: 221 Officer
    Insane man. So cool
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,388 Captain
    Great shooting Paul! Always love watching your videos and I admire the system you and your team have in place to keep the sharks in their place.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    With you and Ryan and crew, that is some SERIOUS spearfish talent!
    Great video and Large BRASS STONES!!!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,466 Captain
    Insane man. So cool
    :Agree What he said!

Pura Vida!
  • kcsharp90kcsharp90 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    pretty sick!!
  • ShoelessShoeless Posts: 2,108 Captain
    Now that is some great work!!!! I am just starting to freedive and can't wait to get some serious time in chasing some slobs like that. Great shooting!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,304 Captain
    really cool man
  • Cut runnerCut runner Posts: 948 Officer
    Is there a reason you guys aren't using a reel or floatline? I understand your trying get to keep them from the sharks but I would think you get a lot of tear outs yanking on them like that without a bungee.
    Solid work either way
  • BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 767 Officer
    Serious talent there...amazing really...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nutsmagoonutsmagoo Posts: 127 Deckhand
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments! Had a blast out there and its fun to capture this footage and share it.
    Cut runner wrote: »
    Is there a reason you guys aren't using a reel or floatline? I understand your trying get to keep them from the sharks but I would think you get a lot of tear outs yanking on them like that without a bungee.
    Solid work either way

All of the fish shot in this vid were shot with floatlines attached. Some floatlines are all bungee, some have a short piece of bungee attached, and some are just rigid lines. All bungee is the way to go but pretty expensive.
  • Angler_2600Angler_2600 Posts: 1,104 Officer
    Amazing fish and totally insane! Awesome video!
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 626 Officer
    Sweet video capture and amazing diving skills......you are definitely living up to your forum name.
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,268 Officer
    Great video. I really need to take the Free Dive course. Nothing like picking the fish you want.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Awesome video! I never see you losing any cobia to the sharks in your videos, this one at the end shows one going after a cobia. Does it happen often?
  • footanklegfootankleg Posts: 513 Officer
    Baaaad Asssss!!!!
    Cobia 296 F300s J & B
    Hewes 18' RF Y130 Flatfoot
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nutsmagoonutsmagoo Posts: 127 Deckhand
    dpdash wrote: »
    Awesome video! I never see you losing any cobia to the sharks in your videos, this one at the end shows one going after a cobia. Does it happen often?

Thank you!

Yeah, getting sharked is a constant threat. I've been lucky and haven't lost a cobia to one yet, but have seen it happen several times with other guys on our crew. Some of my buddies lost like 3 of the 5 they shot a few weeks ago to sharks. Best thing to do to avoid it happening is to pull up fish as fast as possible and to have a buddy or two dive down to fend off the sharks when the speared fish is coming up.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Good morning Paul,

Great job as usual with your videos!! :hail

They never cease to amaze me as to how close you actually get to the bulls out there. :hairraiser

I hope to see both you and Tom over in West End again this year.

Hit me up and let me know when you guys are going over and maybe we can meet up.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Exciting video. Nice job. Stay safe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • fishfullthinkingfishfullthinking Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Awesome video!
  • seahuntetecseahuntetec Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Truly insane! What do you guys do for fun, russian roulette? Thanks for sharing such great video, my advice don't show it to your mother.
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    Aaaa, OK, I'm missing something here. When Mr smiles shows up around 2:25, How exactly is it that you guys managed to keep him at bay? He was kind of close there & he was in a munching mood. Do you have some secret kind of repellant that I didn't see? What do you mean by "fending off"? Do you just poke at the shark with the tip of a spear? ...Oh man that seems risky. I like aggressive fishing, but I don't think that I have the stones to step up to your level. I am interested in learning how you puled it off though.

Wow:hail