Offshore off lighthouse 02/09/15 called for 5 MPH guess what?

Forecast for Monday looked promising crew of (5) Canadian friends Pat, Leonard, Matt, and Capt. Scott and me larrywitt. For this trip we would be on Scotts boat. By that morning the forecast changed 10 to 15`s with scattered rains in the morning offshore. The Canadian crew said lets go for it. Stopped by my boat to pick up some squid and cut bait. Strips of belly meat skin on from a king I had just cleaned 10inches long 1/2 wide.
As we rounded the light house the winds were not to bad seas 1 to 2 some 3`.. south east winds kicked up as we ran deeper we could see the rain cells ahead our hopes were they would miss us . In no time we were running in the rain. I think rain gear will be on their gift list soon. I had punched in the numbers in 69 to 70 ft. that I had not hit since last year. Bottom looked good drift was out of the question seas were 2 to 4, then the anchor would not bite in the hard bottom so we kept drifting off of our marker. We did manage to box some nice reds to 25 inch.
Here is Matt on his first keeper grouper.

Pat and Matt with a couple nice ones.
Leonard's turn to box one

Some nice grunts and porgys road home with us. All in all it was a good day.

Winds started to pick up, dark rain clouds were on there way, you could feel the temperature change.
Pulled the trigger early glad we did.
One of the best parts they will have a great fish fry and Mary I will be invited over.
Life is good in SW Florida .
larrywitt

Replies

• Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    We almost went yesterday and called it off. Glad we did as it rained almost all day.

You got out, I'm impressed.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    Nice work Larry.
  • hiflyerhiflyer Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    We called it off at about 6:oo am, glad to see you got out, been tough lately. Good show for the conditions. hiflyer
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,665 Moderator
    One other boat ran offshore earlier than us our location and ran to 100 plus deeper water . We were at the dock cleaning our catch when they came in. One big keeper is all they were able to put in the box.
    You never know where the good bite is going to be and it was not the day to run and gun to find the bite.
    larrywitt
  • Tight LoopsTight Loops Posts: 206 Deckhand
    We were really blessed we did not get into worse rain or winds out there. From what I hear from my inshore guide friends they got ran off the water with storms. We just got the fish cleaned and boat washed when it hit us here but we had it "fairly" good while off shore.