trout flies??

river1river1 Posts: 86 Deckhand
what are y'all casting for sea trout? i have casting clousers for trout and red's. my trout have turned off.
please post. thanks for the help
Captain Bill Boynton

Support Catch and Release

Replies

• ditzditz Posts: 33 Deckhand
    I spent a couple of months in NSB and I had some good success on a craft fur shrimp in tan on a #2 hook. Craft fur tail with bars marked with a sharpie and a body of craft fur put in a dubbing loop and wound on like hackle. Bead chain eyes or mono eyes. I started with a #6 hook but the specks tended to take the fly real deep and in the gills so I went to a bigger hook and it minimized the problem. They sure like the fly and so did the small blues and salty gars. I even caught a couple of small pin fish on them. Clousers, gurglers, skipping bugs, and crease flies also all worked but the shrimp was by far the best. Good luck and have fun
  • river1river1 Posts: 86 Deckhand
    Thanks Ditz, i will use toss the shrimps. i also like #2's
    Captain Bill Boynton

• greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 830 Officer
    Midnight minnow for big gator trout. regular size trout eat it very well too but if I am fishing trout here in the Stuart area I am going big and throwing a midnight minnnow
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,579 Captain
    These have been working on the flats for me. Tied on no.1 or 2
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    Seducers, deceivers, and clousers. Pretty much standard all around saltwater patterns. The trout ain't too huge, but man are they fun.
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)
  • river1river1 Posts: 86 Deckhand
    saltybum, What is the synthetic material. That isn't Craft fur. I love these and they should work for Reds. in the b
    ig bend..
    Captain Bill Boynton

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,579 Captain
    I mostly tie with Farrar's SF blend. The third one down is St. Bernard and has a beautiful swim to it. Trying to get more hair from sharkattack when he trims his dog. I tied this one Sunday on a C47Mustad for slower sinking in 14-22" of water for trout but seems the reds liked it fine Monday.