Home Egret Boats

Egret Trip Marquesas Run

Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
I am posting the annual keys fishing trip some of us do. If the weather is good and it has been the last two trips we will go to the Marquesas. I am also planning this trip in mind of the Palolo Worm hatch witch usually happens on the full moon cycle in May. The Tarpon fishing can be hot in this time period. The proposed time will be May 28th- the 31st. The full moon cycle will extend to the newt week for any die hard tarpon fans.
Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas

Replies

• mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    I am posting the annual keys fishing trip some of us do. If the weather is good and it has been the last two trips we will go to the Marquesas. I am also planning this trip in mind of the Paleo Worm hatch witch usually happens on the full moon cycle in March. The Tarpon fishing can be hot in this time period. The proposed time will be May 28th- the 31st. The full moon cycle will extend to the newt week for any die hard tarpon fans.

Dude, have you been eating a lot of worms on your Paleo diet? It's Palolo worm! :) Auto-correct?

What is the Worm Hatch Witch? Does the person who has the dirtiest Egret have to wear a tall black hat the whole time? Uh-oh! :)
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I am posting the annual keys fishing trip some of us do. If the weather is good and it has been the last two trips we will go to the Marquesas. I am also planning this trip in mind of the Paleo Worm hatch witch usually happens on the full moon cycle in March. The Tarpon fishing can be hot in this time period. The proposed time will be May 28th- the 31st. The full moon cycle will extend to the newt week for any die hard tarpon fans.

The late Palolo worm hatch prediction according to my calendar should be June 6
    the same weekend as Poontangle. The Earlier hatch should be around May 2-6. If there is a March hatch
    it would be close to March 4-8. Maybe Manny Fernandez will Roast a Pig this year...hint
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Not sure if the dates will work for me - but are all trader boats welcome. Does prior egret ownership qualify.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    Not sure if the dates will work for me - but are all trader boats welcome. Does prior egret ownership qualify.

Of course all skiffs are welcome. Just do not drink any Kool Aid. When the dates are settled we will try and organize a little happening at our place on Cudjoe. Maybe we can talk Manny Fernandez into roasting a pig (evil grin).
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,393 Officer

Sounds like a plan. I need some Permit redemption!
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer

Yea.
    mtd885 wrote: »
    The late Palolo worm hatch prediction according to my calendar should be June 6
    the same weekend as Poontangle. The Earlier hatch should be around May 2-6. If there is a March hatch
    it would be close to March 4-8. Maybe Manny Fernandez will Roast a Pig this year...hint

I didn't want to throw the trip into June. There will be plenty of Poons to throw at. The hatch could happen anywhere between May 30th and June 6th. I have seen it go for many days also. Never the less its hit or miss.
    Hey Frank, it's your party whatever dates you choose, I'm there! Martin, you can use my garden hose and high pressure washer...LMAO Flatsboy, park around the corner so nobody knows I let you come to my house...LOL
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,393 Officer
    Hey Frank, it's your party whatever dates you choose, I'm there! Martin, you can use my garden hose and high pressure washer...LMAO Flatsboy, park around the corner so nobody knows I let you come to my house...LOL

I'm going to switch your coffee out for Maxwell House when your not looking! :banana
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    I'm going to switch your coffee out for Maxwell House when your not looking! :banana

It's good to the last drop...It would be awsome to see him Switch!:grin
    Frank, Maybe we can do a BBQ at the house on the 30th.
    Its up to you brother. Unless its blowing we will be fishing till later in the day so a dinner time BBQ would be great.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 230 Deckhand
    I'm interested and if the weather turns bad I might just bring down the smoker instead. Let meknow what the date turns out to be
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
    Looks like the 28-31 of May according to Frank. Glenn usually leads the pack on this run. Better start booking rooms since these dates are prime time for Tarpon in the lower Keys. Parmers, Dolphin marina, KOA campground. OWB, are the usual places to stay. Smoker sounds great Last Cast. Renee has mentioned she will make a stuffed Turkey so let's put a home cooked meal on the agenda this year. I'm sure the Square Grouper folks will not miss us one night.
    Looks like the 28-31 of May according to Frank. Glenn usually leads the pack on this run. Better start booking rooms since these dates are prime time for Tarpon in the lower Keys. Parmers, Dolphin marina, KOA campground. OWB, are the usual places to stay. Smoker sounds great Last Cast. Renee has mentioned she will make a stuffed Turkey so let's put a home cooked meal on the agenda this year. I'm sure the Square Grouper folks will not miss us one night.

It's been a few years since I made the trip - actually 3 boats ago! I just booked at Parmers - really looking forward to it. Any idae what day is the Marquesa run planned for?
    It's been a few years since I made the trip - actually 3 boats ago! I just booked at Parmers - really looking forward to it. Any idae what day is the Marquesa run planned for?

Historically it has been weather dependent. The best forcasted day of the trip is the Marquesas day. Now that Oceanside Marina is closed I imagine our fearless leader aka Capt Deathwish will have an alternate plan. Unless Frank plans to be the leader of the pack :) this time around. If that's the case we'll have to go a tad slower to keep up, LOL
    If you do not have a radio, pick up a handheld for communication once we are out there as cell phone coverage is not happening.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 952 Officer
    Historically it has been weather dependent. The best forcasted day of the trip is the Marquesas day. Now that Oceanside Marina is closed I imagine our fearless leader aka Capt Deathwish will have an alternate plan. Unless Frank plans to be the leader of the pack :) this time around. If that's the case we'll have to go a tad slower to keep up, LOL
    If you do not have a radio, pick up a handheld for communication once we are out there as cell phone coverage is not happening.

I think Michael should lead the pack :driver:. With your chip and new motor, you can run anywhere anytime down there! If the trip goes without getting blown out I think the plan should be for every boat to fill up the evening prior and also get whatever live bait you want to avoid stopping in KW. If there is a crab shortage, there are few marinas in KW that may have some but I think it would be best for everyone to get their crabs the day prior. I think it would be better to just run all the way without stopping this time if possible. The gas stop takes up about 30 mins or more depending on the # of boats etc. Last year it was about 135 mile round trip and a full tank is well more than enough to handle out there and back. And that included running out to a couple of wrecks west of Marquesas. I like the stop in the Lakes for Permit late in the day and near KW harbor for the Tarpon at sunset. It's usually a sure bet. My boat caught three last year there on the way back. We had to run back in the dark but that seems to be status quo for me.
    I think Michael should lead the pack :driver:. With your chip and new motor, you can run anywhere anytime down there! If the trip goes without getting blown out I think the plan should be for every boat to fill up the evening prior and also get whatever live bait you want to avoid stopping in KW. If there is a crab shortage, there are few marinas in KW that may have some but I think it would be best for everyone to get their crabs the day prior. I think it would be better to just run all the way without stopping this time if possible. The gas stop takes up about 30 mins or more depending on the # of boats etc. Last year it was about 135 mile round trip and a full tank is well more than enough to handle out there and back. And that included running out to a couple of wrecks west of Marquesas. I like the stop in the Lakes for Permit late in the day and near KW harbor for the Tarpon at sunset. It's usually a sure bet. My boat caught three last year there on the way back. We had to run back in the dark but that seems to be status quo for me.

Lead, me? R U nutz? I'll wait till the Endocrinologist gets my testosterone level up a tad first :)
    I'll bring up the rear and make sure we don't lose anybody.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I just booked at Parmer's.

Couple of questions:
    Should I bring a fishing partner? Do we pair up there or otherwise get thrown a bone on where to fish, etc? I've never fished there at all. I don't mind poling for someone.

If anybody wants to split accommodations costs let me know.

One thing's for sure, this will be much more cushy than my last 4-day trip. https://vimeo.com/119073540

Couple of questions:
    Should I bring a fishing partner? Do we pair up there or otherwise get thrown a bone on where to fish, etc? I've never fished there at all. I don't mind poling for someone.

If anybody wants to split accommodations costs let me know.

One thing's for sure, this will be much more cushy than my last 4-day trip. https://vimeo.com/119073540

I just want to know did you get a piggy back ride too?:grin
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I just want to know did you get a piggy back ride too?:grin

No! Why do you think I am suggesting "sharing accommodations costs" for the Marquesas trip? I am hoping that old guide Pete Silot will bite. Don't remember his handle name, but I hear he likes to give them. Pete, if you're out there, I booked two twin beds, but don't worry, they can be pushed together. :crossed

Couple of questions:

Really depends on you. If you have a person you fish with that wants to go you are all set. If not, there may be another single going that wants a partner and you can determine what boat to use. Or you can fish solo which has been done plenty of times. Someone will point you in the right direction to fish. I think Renegade is the leading Marquesas expert now unless he blows it off again for a Bahia Honda encounter with Mill.
    No! Why do you think I am suggesting "sharing accommodations costs" for the Marquesas trip? I am hoping that old guide Pete Silot will bite. Don't remember his handle name, but I hear he likes to give them. Pete, if you're out there, I booked two twin beds, but don't worry, they can be pushed together. :crossed

Renegade is the leading Marquesas expert now unless he blows it off again for a Bahia Honda encounter with Mill.

I've heard stories about "Brokeback Marquesas"....Remember, It's not Gay "it's friends helping friends":grin
    Renegade is the leading Marquesas expert now unless he blows it off again for a Bahia Honda encounter with Mill.

I've heard stories about "Brokeback Marquesas"....

:rotflmao I think that was Lastcast. Whoever it was, their boat looked like a barge going over there loaded with stuff.
    Would you really expect it to be any body else but me that would be ignorant enough to stay out in the Marquesas in an Egret overnight?

PA240009.jpg

You guys missed some phenomenal fishing by running back the same day and not camping. 15-20" mangrove snappers pounding topwater plugs in the mangroves as the sun set. I know now that you guys didn't run back without camping because you were scared of the Brokeback: you were going to man cuddle it up big time back at Parmer's, you just knew you had to get back to a freshwater hose before sunset or your boat would fall apart. I just didn't know at the time..

Any Egrets in that camping trip video? No freshwater hose long enough for the nightly scrub down? :)
    Yup it was our own Pecks Bad Boy MARTIN....LMAO. WILL YOU ATTEND THIS YEAR Martin? Bring Erik too, he can leave his Gee on...lol
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    Yup it was our own Pecks Bad Boy MARTIN....LMAO. WILL YOU ATTEND THIS YEAR Martin? Bring Erik too, he can leave his Gee on...lol

I won't need the gi. I don't know what I've been missing but I can guarantee that "man cuddling" attempts will be dealt with swiftly. :)
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    Lead, me? R U nutz? I'll wait till the Endocrinologist gets my testosterone level up a tad first :)
    I'll bring up the rear and make sure we don't lose anybody.

You stay in the middle again! :) The first trip both you on your new boat AND Renagade69 on first used Egret he just bought from trponhunter had mechanical issues. It was FL Egret with a Merc 175 EFI in front (Egrets Landing) and FL Egret with a Merc 175 EFI in the back (mbowers) that kept the new fangled birds with new fangled motors safely together. :)

I think someone else better bring the smoker in rough weather and Last-Cast should bring his old boat for last boat, I mean it's in his username to be last boat.. :)
    mbowers wrote: »
    You stay in the middle again! :) The first trip both you on your new boat AND Renagade69 on first used Egret he just bought from trponhunter (remind me, who was the original owner of that boat and how long did the original owner keep it?) had mechanical issues. It was FL Egret with a Merc 175 EFI in front (Egrets Landing) and FL Egret with a Merc 175 EFI in the back (mbowers) that kept the new fangled birds with new fangled motors safely together. :)

I think someone else better bring the smoker in rough weather and Last-Cast should bring his old boat for last boat, I mean it's in his username to be last boat.. :)

Just show up Martin, leave the headaches to Russo, he seems to want them...lol
    I was the original owner of the olive colored 189 that I sold to Renegade. I bought the boat from the factory - it was a demo boat they had. Our only motor issue during that trip was overheating from picking up some grass on the prop. That boat had the 150 e tec on it.