Home Egret Boats

Gel coat repair experience

mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
In case anyone else in South FL has the misfortune to have voids in the gel coat as I did, I'd strongly recommend not allowing Shallow Water Customs to touch your boat. Egret did arrange to have Pete pick up the boat and it was a real pleasure to work with him. It was nice to feel like a valued customer for a change and that was top notch customer service from Egret. Too bad here's some photos of the repair work which is bottom notch quality. Pete: did you get your glasses checked for the next repair quality check? :)
I let Frank know I wasn't happy with the repair last week but have heard nothing from him about making a good repair so it's probably off to Master Repair soon to get some good work done on the boat at my expense as usual. They were laughing themselves silly when I showed them the quality of the gelcoat work when they replaced my LED sharkeye.

Overspray on the latch, livewell light and hatch compartment liners.

You can also see the hatch isn't adjusted properly and the latch is gouging into the gel coat. I do NOT know where that curly hair came from! I think Flatsboy might have driven up to have a tryst with my now clean boat and make it feel loved! :)
2015-01-28%2016.30.39.jpg

2015-01-28%2016.32.11.jpg

20150203_144319.jpg

Here's the "finish" polish job which looks like 60 grit paper2015-01-28%2016.34.25.jpg

Here's a big lip of gelcoat that's going to stop the gasket from sitting down properly
2015-01-31%2018.21.24.jpg

Replies

• PHOTOPHOTO Posts: 145 Officer
    You're on a roll.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,393 Officer
    Well since your talking about good workmanship. Let's look at some of your bottom notch quality work and upkeep shall we!
    As you can see this is a two year old boat according to mbowers.

What get's me is his install of the platform top and rod holders. Did you think you were finger painting with water colors? Maybe you need glasses to see that black 4000 you were actually smearing into place like a 4 year old!
    The rest of the pictures speak for them selves on the neglect & condition of the boat.:shrug

But the best is your install & solution for your fuel fill along with the relocation of the fuel vent. You are a engineer correct so explain your calculation for the that illegal vent placement? But let me try some common sense first!

You won't catch me setting foot near your boat but thanks for the invite that wasn't my DNA! Hopefully you don't have a short or a spark one day when you throw one of your switches or cross a wire and have those fumes from the vent collecting in the cockpit on a nice warm sunny day! Hey maybe you want to give yourself a Viking funeral!:huh

Hope it all works out for you and you get your boat looking like it should!:kick

1_zpsc107552e.jpg
    9_zpsb727cd32.jpg
    7_zpsa6d5c5a4.jpg
    5_zps19b24143.jpg
    4_zps33da6095.jpg
    8_zps44a7726b.jpg
    6_zps2c905ab2.jpg
    3_zpsb56012bc.jpg
    10_zps63c4518c.jpg
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Do you really think there's any difference in fuel fumes in the cockpit between having the vent in the front of the cockpit to having it 12 inches away on top of the deck? The deck fill design is already illegal because every time I fill the boat as rigged from the factory, gas spills into the cockpit which is a big Coastguard flaw. I didn't make the boat have illegal fuel problems, Frank did and I just dealt with it as best as possible. I'm just not stupid enough to get stranded in my Egret THREE times for saltwater in the fuel. Anyone else have fuel in the cockpit when filling?

I'm going to have the fill location glassed in shortly. I don't expect anyone but me to pay for that because I'm changing the boat. Don't pay any attention to that extra Egret gel coat void in there on the fill rim though which is another factory issue!

I was really tired from fixing all the problems so excuse me for not cleaning up all the caulk. At least I caulked it! Messy caulk doesn't sink ships but no caulk really can. I just wanted to go fishing again. I really didn't want to have to repair the poling platform top on a two year old boat after I told Frank it would fall off but he said it never would.

Here's an Egret factory caulk job for you: about 40% coverage and nothing around the edge so saltwater is free to enter and corrode the hell out of it. Note most of the white stuff on the right side is actually corroded aluminum and not caulk.

20140723_165242.jpg

We know how much caulk is used on the console. Maybe Renagade69 can tell us about the caulking he had to do to his Egret.

Real classy that Frank puts out pictures without my permission on issues totally irrelevant to the issues he won't fix. If the picture is relevant to abuse of the boat that I want him to pay for then fine, but anything else is just an **** move in my book. Interesting last comment there Flatsboy, are you saying that Frank intentionally screwed up the gel coat because that's the kind of repair I should be getting?
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 952 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »
    Do you really think there's any difference in fuel fumes in the cockpit between having the vent in the front of the cockpit to having it 12 inches away on top of the deck? The deck fill design is already illegal because every time I fill the boat as rigged from the factory, gas spills into the cockpit which is a big Coastguard flaw. I didn't make the boat have illegal fuel problems, Frank did and I just dealt with it as best as possible. I'm just not stupid enough to get stranded in my Egret THREE times for saltwater in the fuel. Anyone else have fuel in the cockpit when filling?

I'm going to have the fill location glassed in shortly. I don't expect anyone but me to pay for that because I'm changing the boat. Don't pay any attention to that extra Egret gel coat void in there on the fill rim though which is another factory issue!

I was really tired from fixing all the problems so excuse me for not cleaning up all the caulk. At least I caulked it! Messy caulk doesn't sink ships but no caulk really can. I just wanted to go fishing again. I really didn't want to have to repair the poling platform top on a two year old boat after I told Frank it would fall off but he said it never would.

Here's an Egret factory caulk job for you: about 40% coverage and nothing around the edge so saltwater is free to enter and corrode the hell out of it. Note most of the white stuff on the right side is actually corroded aluminum and not caulk.

20140723_165242.jpg

We know how much caulk is used on the console. Maybe Renagade69 can tell us about the caulking he had to do to his Egret.

Real classy that Frank puts out pictures without my permission on issues totally irrelevant to the issues he won't fix. If the picture is relevant to abuse of the boat that I want him to pay for then fine, but anything else is just an **** move in my book. Interesting last comment there Flatsboy, are you saying that Frank intentionally screwed up the gel coat because that's the kind of repair I should be getting?

Is that boat really 2 years old? If that really is the case, I have to be honest when I say your maintenance and upkeep on it is really poor. Even if it's used 1/3rd of the year it looks like you really beat on it and don't clean it much. It really looks bad for a boat of that age and given your description of the issues, it sounds like a disaster with fuel leaks and rusty switches and gel coat all screwed up. My boat is almost 20 years old and redone once about 8 years ago and looks like brand new compared to that and I run about 90 - 100 days / yr and many of those days are 100 mile plus days. I know you have had some minor problems with your boat that were frustrating but it looks like some of it was really aggravated due to neglect. Why don't you just clean it up some and sell it? It's pretty clear you don't care for it and have a problem with the factory. Get something else. There's tons of different boats. If you like the hull, get an old Miami built model since those seem to not have some of the issues you ran into.

Between all of the complaints and the photos of the boat it's obvious you are never going to be happy with your current boat and it just comes off as you are a whiner that thinks he maintains the boat well but doesn't and never will be happy. It's clear you have given up on dealing with the factory but you are not doing yourself any favors by making these posts. The haters will dig it but any novices reading it are going to likely be more inclined to discount your complaints and allegations given the over the top presentation. If you have to write to vent, write but think twice before posting. I think if you maintained your boat better and were reasonably on top of the overall condition of the components on a weekly basis after each use you would not have most of these problems like your platform falling off and your switches rusting out. It sounds like you are oblivious to the obvious until it breaks. If there was a moisture problem inside the console you should have clearly known early on before it caused any substantive issue and if the platform really fell off you clearly hadn't looked very often underneath at the screws and attachment which would have been required if you were spraying under there. I had a similar problem there, but caught it and fixed it well before there was any big issue. You are a fastidious engineer and able to clearly id minor build design issues that should be addressed. I agree with a lot of your suggested changes. I already made most of them myself. But if you were as particular about the maintenance and upkeep as you are the design flaw, those flaws would not really have become as much trouble for you as it appear they did.
  • OldHewes18RedOldHewes18Red Posts: 308 Deckhand
    Hold on! Martin, that's your boat? The one with missing fender and brakes on a single axle trailer?

I hate to be anywhere close to being aligned with EgretBoy Phil, but HOLY SHEET, that boat is absolutely beat. I had to look at the vin #, because I was in disbelief that the boat was a 2012. There is regular use wear and tear, but it looks like there's a disconnect between you and the reality of basic boat maintenance.

I apologize to Frank for giving you the benefit of doubt. It is pretty clear you're self inflicting the majority of your issues. I can just picture that boat getting trailered down the road running over curbs, and crap flying all over the place.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Is that boat really 2 years old? If that really is the case, I have to be honest when I say your maintenance and upkeep on it is really poor. Even if it's used 1/3rd of the year it looks like you really beat on it and don't clean it much. It really looks bad for a boat of that age and given your description of the issues, it sounds like a disaster with fuel leaks and rusty switches and gel coat all screwed up. My boat is almost 20 years old and redone once about 8 years ago and looks like brand new compared to that and I run about 90 - 100 days / yr and many of those days are 100 mile plus days. I know you have had some minor problems with your boat that were frustrating but it looks like some of it was really aggravated due to neglect. Why don't you just clean it up some and sell it? It's pretty clear you don't care for it and have a problem with the factory. Get something else. There's tons of different boats. If you like the hull, get an old Miami built model since those seem to not have some of the issues you ran into.

Between all of the complaints and the photos of the boat it's obvious you are never going to be happy with your current boat and it just comes off as you are a whiner that thinks he maintains the boat well but doesn't and never will be happy. It's clear you have given up on dealing with the factory but you are not doing yourself any favors by making these posts. The haters will dig it but any novices reading it are going to likely be more inclined to discount your complaints and allegations given the over the top presentation. If you have to write to vent, write but think twice before posting. I think if you maintained your boat better and were reasonably on top of the overall condition of the components on a weekly basis after each use you would not have most of these problems like your platform falling off and your switches rusting out. It sounds like you are oblivious to the obvious until it breaks. If there was a moisture problem inside the console you should have clearly known early on before it caused any substantive issue and if the platform really fell off you clearly hadn't looked very often underneath at the screws and attachment which would have been required if you were spraying under there. I had a similar problem there, but caught it and fixed it well before there was any big issue. You are a fastidious engineer and able to clearly id minor build design issues that should be addressed. I agree with a lot of your suggested changes. I already made most of them myself. But if you were as particular about the maintenance and upkeep as you are the design flaw, those flaws would not really have become as much trouble for you as it appear they did.

Sage Advice---worth repeating.
    Hold on! Martin, that's your boat? The one with missing fender and brakes on a single axle trailer?

I hate to be anywhere close to being aligned with EgretBoy Phil, but HOLY SHEET, that boat is absolutely beat. I had to look at the vin #, because I was in disbelief that the boat was a 2012. There is regular use wear and tear, but it looks like there's a disconnect between you and the reality of basic boat maintenance.

I apologize to Frank for giving you the benefit of doubt. It is pretty clear you're self inflicting the majority of your issues. I can just picture that boat getting trailered down the road running over curbs, and crap flying all over the place.

That trailer is one month old and has about 100 miles on it. The trailer had fenders on it before Pete took it south. He's the one that knocked them free but they were already failing. I don't blame him for driving the boat 60 miles on the turnpike because that's normal use. I don't expect Pete to pay for a shoddy product that I knew was bad and failed under normal use. The fender steps are a total POS and The Hub is replacing them under warranty, no questions asked like any stand up company does when they build a bad unit. Zoom in on the remnants of the step and look at the tiny little piece of broken metal that was holding the step on. Did that fail because I didn't wash every day? 90% of my trips are 150 feet down the road to the ramp so that boat is not bounced anywhere on a trailer.

So you think that voids in the gelcoat, saltwater in my fuel ( at least 5 boats have the problem and the factory implemented my fix but just didn't tell me about it) and a wood screw used on my trolling motor pulled free because I didn't wash the hull after a week's fishing trip?? Did my caulking just evaporate because I didn't wash it enough? Do you really think there's enough caulking on the platform top to hold it on? If the surfaces were properly prepared why did all the caulking stick to the top and none to the aluminum on the platform frame? If the factory bothered to wash off the aluminum after drilling the holes why are there cutting fragments of aluminum in the caulking? Why did Russell Kleppinger have to through bolt his platform top if they never fall off?

Any cosmetic issue I have is entirely self inflicted and I take full responsibility for that. I have no complaints about cosmetics: any rust stains, gel coat dulling, color fading, metal work pitting or sun damage is all on me. The rub rails are gouged up because I hold the boat against oyster covered pilings and that's all on me. Those rub rails are great!

All operational maintenance like greasing bearings, joints and moving parts plus replacing filters is regularly performed and I've never had a trailer breakdown save for one flat tire. The only time the engine has broken down is when it was waterboarded with saltwater. On my old EFI, the only time the engine broke down is when the fuel was loaded with saltwater from the vent or when the powerhead exploded from rusty bearings.

Just so we're all clear on why I'm so pissed about the saltwater in the fuel, here's a public Florida Sportsman comment from back in 2005 about the water in the fuel issue after I first raised it and FIXED it on my old boat. Too bad Frank didn't listen to Jim and doesn't want to be responsible for continuing to use a design that had proven faulty. Interesting comment too further down from waldnerr about what the customer service was like back when the boats were in Florida. This customer relationship would never have gone sideways if Frank could have just manned up and paid my damages for what is a well known flaw in the boat design.

http://archives.floridasportsman.com/index.php/topic,243674.msg2160178.html#msg2160178

"
    Martin, at some point in time Egret switched from a low profile deck fill with a separate vent mounted just under the gunnel. We understood that to be compliant with future regulations that a vent that would discharge overboard when you fueled would be illegal. We switched to the Perko deck mount, but it looked like the perfect catch for fly lines, so we retooled the deck mold and recessed it. Water is ponding in the recess and getting sucked into the vent when the tank breathes. Perko recognizes the problem, if they sell a spacer. I believe we retooled again to reduce the recess when the problem surfaced. You can replace the fill with an o-ring sealed deck fill and add a hull side vent or add a spacer. If you go with the hull side vent, you will need to get a longer vent hose and make sure to make a loop up above the vent before dropping down to the tank.
    The first thing I will do in 20 days when the settlement ink dries will be to re-tool an entire new deck cap for the 18, to incorporate all the improvements 10 years of production has suggested. When the dust settles and I get a chance to research this issue further, perhaps the cure can be retrofitted. It is definitely a top priority.

To the gentlemen at the court today, well spoken. If it is any consolation to not having the opportunity to bid, remember this maxim in the boat business:

The best way to get one million dollars in the boat business is to start with two, and get out quick!

Jim Gardiner"
  • LandononeLandonone Posts: 60 Deckhand
    Trailer manufacture DID NOT install those fenders at the factory. They where added by the selling dealer or who ever installed the rims and tires. Must be on The Hubs dime. Surprised you didn't blast them for the ****ty fender mods to accept those custom rims.
    Landonone wrote: »
    Trailer manufacture DID NOT install those fenders at the factory. They where added by the selling dealer or who ever installed the rims and tires. Must be on The Hubs dime. Surprised you didn't blast them for the ****ty fender mods to accept those custom rims.

To the best of my knowledge trailer manufacturer DID install those fenders and steps that fell off: they were a custom ordered part. They were certainly on the trailer as soon as I saw it before the Hub started modifying it to fit my boat. The Hub added the extension to the step because I want a step along the whole width of the fender. As far as I know only the Hub's work is still attached to the trailer. Like a stand up company though the Hub immediately took the trailer back and they are working on it right now.
    Well if we want to talk about messy caulking, here's some pictures of the rod lockers while the boat is on the trailer. I know that it's just cosmetic and in an area I don't see much like the underside of the poling platform so I will scrape it clean one day, but you guys that think your boat only holds together when it's pretty, had better get back to the factory and get them to clean it up!

Egrets Landing: I have asked you for this before and maybe I missed it but would you please post pictures of the top and bottom of your poling platform and a close up to show if it is caulked. If you want to call me out for my first and second tops top falling off from abuse, I think the least you can do is show me that your top is attached just like mine.

2015-02-05%2009.39.05.jpg

20150205_090846.jpg

20150205_090924.jpg

20150205_090852.jpg

20150205_093510.jpg
  • LandononeLandonone Posts: 60 Deckhand
    The Hub added the extension to the step.
    my point, they have been altered.
    Well if we want to talk about messy caulking, here's some pictures of the rod lockers while the boat is on the trailer. I know that it's just cosmetic and in an area I don't see much like the underside of the poling platform so I will scrape it clean one day, but you guys that think your boat only holds together when it's pretty, had better get back to the factory and get them to clean it up!

Egrets Landing: I have asked you for this before and maybe I missed it but would you please post pictures of the top and bottom of your poling platform and a close up to show if it is caulked. If you want to call me out for my first and second tops top falling off from abuse, I think the least you can do is show me that your top is attached just like mine.

2015-02-05%2009.39.05.jpg

20150205_090846.jpg

20150205_090924.jpg

20150205_090852.jpg

20150205_093510.jpg

My platform today is a complete redo that I had done locally and has nothing to do with the mfg. so its appearance today has no bearing on the construction of your platform. It has two folding steps on it and is a foot taller than stock. I welded everything also not liking the screw design on the hinges. But the bolted hinges I had were never really any issue for me other than I thought they looked inferior and would not be as good as the welds.

I found some issues with the loose screws when the boat was about 5 yrs old and I filled the holes with epoxy and put in new screws. That worked fine. Subsequently, at the time I was renovating everything a couple of years later, the platform was removed, disassembled and redesigned. I found I had some more screws backing out or loose that were not fixed before. They had the same problem as the others and trying to put them back was not going to work as they would not bite as they were screwed from underneath right into the platform. There were quite a few screws though and out of all of them I had maybe 3 on the first fix out of all of them were on the loose side and needed attention. I found another 2 or 3 that I did not fix the first time when I was renovating. As you have noted, this was not a great design with screws just going right into the core of the platform. However, I found they had used 5200 on the bottom of my platform to secure to the mounting plate and it wasn't going anywhere, screws or no screws and was caulked very well. It was hard to get the platform off of the top mounting plate. I filled the holes that needed attention with epoxy and put it back together the same way it was originally made and I have no problems with it. I could have thru bolted it but I preferred the clean look and did not want to see the attachment on the top or have to put my sea deck over that and create recessed areas on the top side etc. Could the original attachment be designed better? Definitely, but I have been running around with it like this for 15 yrs with no issues so it is not a bad design. But I would address it and improve it if I was Frank just because it could be better, the screws have been trouble for many, and Egret is supposed to be of the best and if your are going hold yourself out with montra like that these minor things should be addressed.

Your boat is probably the only Egret in history that has had a platform fall off. Based on your photos, it looks like you rarely if ever clean your boat and it looks like you also are lacking on routine maintenance as well. That is the clear impression weather its true or not. It's full of rusty areas and grime and it basically looks totally ragged out particularly for a relatively new boat of only a couple of years or so. I think if you had been paying close attention to the maintenance and cleaning, you would have been able to ID this platform issue as a potential problem(s) and fix it long before you lost a platform. There is no way your boat could get into that kind of condition if you had been doing appropriate maintenance and not neglecting it. And that does strike me as very unusual for an engineer, particularly as one as fastidious as yourself. So, that has a huge bearing on your credibility in a forum like this where virtually all of your peers are as particular about their maintenance and upkeep as you are about appropriate design and stress loads. I think if you were paying even a fraction of the time to the upkeep etc as you spend complaining about design and calculating stress loads on bolts etc. you would have a much more rewarding boat owning experience.
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    I gotta say though - if the pictures of the rod locker caulking are from the factory - that is a mess and there should be no excuse for that.

Also, not sure what happened at shallow water customs, but a few years ago I had holes filled and glass work done on 2 different boats and the work was spectacular. They even filled holes in a silver king - which has a super aggressive diamond non skid pattern - and made them virtually invisible.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    I gotta say though - if the pictures of the rod locker caulking are from the factory - that is a mess and there should be no excuse for that.

Also, not sure what happened at shallow water customs, but a few years ago I had holes filled and glass work done on 2 different boats and the work was spectacular. They even filled holes in a silver king - which has a super aggressive diamond non skid pattern - and made them virtually invisible.

I agree on that caulk comment but who is to know if that is the way it was delivered or not or went through a service repair and returned like that. I find that the notion that it was actually delivered like that new or by anyone in the service industry that was handling a caulk repair to be a stretch given the overall condition of everything on the rig. Who would take delivery of the boat with the caulk looking like that? It's a mess but it is generally in keeping with the overall appearance of most everything on the boat including the new rod holder install where it attaches to the console. That install truly looks like a 6 yr old did it. The facts, the truth, and the story being told here by the OP do not have much congruency the way I see it. Although some valid design points that should be improved (and I agree with) have been pointed out by the OP, I think overall, the experience the OP has had is more of an owner problem than a factory problem and I am pretty sure most of the posters here would agree with that. Every boat needs good maintenance and routine inspections to ensure longevity, reliability and a good experience on the water and unfortunately it seems that most of that (and surely at the appropriate time) has been missing in this case.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    That is not caulk above, is the green glue that holds the cap to the hull. It forms a permanent bond.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    That is not caulk above, is the green glue that holds the cap to the hull. It forms a permanent bond.

If it really left the factory like that it is total disaster for the mfg. What a mess. But who would take delivery of it looking like that? Ridiculous.
  • Captain BackyardCaptain Backyard Posts: 441 Deckhand
    That looks like the adhesive they use to bond the inner liner to the hull and the cap to the hull. I really like egret boats but that looks pretty sloppy.
    How many other Egrets have liner seams that look like that?
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Has Shallow Water Customs stepped up and offered to fix the gel cote they did?Or is the the norm acceptable work they offer? I am curious because a friend of mine asked me if they were a good shop to bring his boat?
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Has Shallow Water Customs stepped up and offered to fix the gel cote they did?Or is the the norm acceptable work they offer? I am curious because a friend of mine asked me if they were a good shop to bring his boat?

I would not refer anybody to shallow water...not even 18 Hughes Red

How'd those pics turn out?
    mtd885 wrote: »
    I would not refer anybody to shallow water...not even 18 Hughes Red

I don't think I'd take your referral on where to buy donuts, much less where to take a boat.
    How'd those pics turn out?

I think he took at look at his seams and then poked his own eyes out rather than have to look at it again. :) Those pics are what he sees! :)
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    I beleive the two partners of shallow water are splitting up. Not sure who did the better work - but I assume it was Bob. As I said before - the work they did for me for 2 different boats a few years ago was really great - especially the gel work.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    I agree on that caulk comment but who is to know if that is the way it was delivered or not or went through a service repair and returned like that. I find that the notion that it was actually delivered like that new or by anyone in the service industry that was handling a caulk repair to be a stretch given the overall condition of everything on the rig. Who would take delivery of the boat with the caulk looking like that? It's a mess but it is generally in keeping with the overall appearance of most everything on the boat including the new rod holder install where it attaches to the console. That install truly looks like a 6 yr old did it. The facts, the truth, and the story being told here by the OP do not have much congruency the way I see it. Although some valid design points that should be improved (and I agree with) have been pointed out by the OP, I think overall, the experience the OP has had is more of an owner problem than a factory problem and I am pretty sure most of the posters here would agree with that. Every boat needs good maintenance and routine inspections to ensure longevity, reliability and a good experience on the water and unfortunately it seems that most of that (and surely at the appropriate time) has been missing in this case.

The green glue is EXACTLY as delivered by the factory. What are you suggesting that new customers should do when they have just driven 1000 miles with a trade in to pick up a boat on a Friday? Should I have booked a hotel room for a week and spent my days watching the factory try to fix my boat even though Frank insisted at least the caulking, the vent and the platform top were fine and would never be a problem? I didn't notice how terrible the rod locker was, but again it is a cosmetic issue and actually doesn't bother me so long as the boat is well designed and structurally sound.

I have never actually lost a platform, I've just had them come completely free. I have had two platforms like that and I know Russell Kleppinger had though bolted the platform on his 2011 so please don't pretend only one boat has had this issue very early in the boat's life. Russell and I both fish a lot and I think that's why we had trouble so quickly. You will have to ask him if he is a bad boat washer and that caused his problem. Do you have a C/K top? Both of my liberating tops were C/K and it's well documented that wood screws are not acceptable ever for fastening to C/K. As far as messy caulking under the top, at least I'm smart enough to pick black caulking instead of white. What kind of appearance expert picks white caulking between a yellow / black C/K surface and bare aluminum? I wanted to put on lots of caulking to prevent saltwater from getting between the top and the aluminum frame. No way salt water is getting in there even if I spend a week in the Marquesas. One day I will have enough energy to clean the top up but I really don't see it as often as that disaster of a rod locker and that doesn't bother me enough to take a day off from fishing and clean it up. 5200 is not the correct choice adhesive for fastening between aluminum and fiberglass, it should be 4000 so if they're using 5200 it's a bad decision. I didn't have what little adhesive was used by the factory on my top tested, maybe it's pipe dope as that seems to be a favorite adhesive in the factory. :) There were metal chips in the adhesive so I can't imagine they actually wiped down the metal with the appropriate solvent to ensure a good bond.

The rod holders are a first prototype. The console has holes from the old rod holders, holes from the console lights when I remove them and holes from a VHF clip that I don't like the location of. I also don't like the gauge installation layout so I will be changing that. I was never given an opportunity for feedback on my preferred gauge locations during the build. In fact I couldn't even get to full throttle originally because the binnacle ran into the trim tab gauges until I raised the binnacle. I didn't whine about those issues, I just fixed them. Since the whole console will be repaired in a year or so and everything will have to come off, I think only a moron would spend a lot of time caulking in a prototype rodholder design. Maybe if you need good looking caulk jobs to pick up young boys at the sandbar it's important but I just wanted to make sure there was enough in there to keep the water out. Now I know I should have blown my caulk load around the drip edge instead of on the rodholders. I also learned that installing / caulking a double braced rodholder cluster instead of a single brace like the factory rod holders is really tough to do solo without getting a lot of caulking where you don't want it, so I will definitely have a friend help me do it when I'm looking to make it pretty. Maybe Renagade69 will come down and go flyfishing for snook with me after we do it right. I only posted pictures of the rodholders as is because I knew Frank was posting unauthorized pictures of my boat and I wanted to get a little in front of the defamation cycle he's trying to run. I paid him 65K for his messy caulking job and paid myself nothing for mine.

Someone called Bob did PM me and ask me to call him. He said Frank told him something about overspray. Bob also asked if I could email him some pics because he couldn't see them online. He said something about taking a look at the repairs if I was ever down in his area but never offered to come to the boat and fixed the issue. I sent him some pics and the following email:

Hi Bob:

Pictures should be attached. Overspray, unfinished blending and caulk on the motor. Sorry you’re caught in the cross fire of a really bad customer service relationship to me. Maybe you would have fixed everything up properly given a chance but I have not heard anything from Frank about taking care of me. Good luck in your future dealings with the guy.

Bob's response:
    Thanks for the pics, but unfortunately I have seen all over the internet. I reach out to contact you about the matter and you blasted me pretty bad after I offered to make good on the matter. I guess I see what type of person you are. Good luck in the future.

I told Pete on Jan 27 in person when the boat was dropped off that is wasn't acceptable, I told him again on the phone on Jan 29 that it wasn't acceptable, I emailed Frank on Jan 30 and wrote him it wasn't acceptable with pictures and then I made a call to Pete again on Feb 5 but I still haven't heard what they are going to do about the shoddy repairs. I feel a little bad about Bob's somewhat attempt to fix the issue but he's just a little ant caught in a pissing contest between two badgers over an 80K boat.

Here are a couple of pictures of the remounting of the motor that had to happen when the Powerpole bracket was removed. I've paid to have the Powerpole remounted and several push pole repairs plus for the useless to me bracket while Frank has paid to repair the gel coat from the bad installation of the bracket at the factory so I'm actually fine with that split of responsibility. I was really pushy about the bracket but Frank should have refused to do it when he saw how a sharp 90 deg edge of metal plate was going to be pressed against the little gel coat lip on the transom. 1/2" thick metal plate versus little gel coat lips is never going to end in the gel coat's favor. :)

Here's some more pics of the repair work done under Egret:
    Shouldn't there be a washer between the nut and the motor bracket? The caulking also stops before the bottom of the motor because you can see the blue of the hull inside the bottom hole. I would think you should caulk all the way down.
    20150206_201503_1.jpg

Oh wait I found all the washers, they're piled up on the ladder bracket!
    20150206_202057.jpg

You can see there's no caulking around the upper motor bolts because the entire bolt is visible in that gap. I did ask Pete to look in that area when he dropped off the boat but he said it looked fine to him. I didn't notice the lack of caulking around the bolt then because it was evening and tough to see, just that there didn't seem to be any caulking filling in the gap between the motor bracket and the hull.

This boat is definitely not going back in the water until I get the motor removed and properly caulked. I will also be using black caulk because **** chooses white caulk between a black motor and a dark blue hull when you can get black caulking?!
    The green glue is EXACTLY as delivered by the factory. What are you suggesting that new customers should do when they have just driven 1000 miles with a trade in to pick up a boat on a Friday? I paid him 65K for his messy caulking job and paid myself nothing for mine.

I did confirm this is typical now for the boats coming out of the factory. Unbelievable. If it was me, I would not have taken delivery just on principal. That would be totally unacceptable for me. What is this now? Seafox standards for finish? That is crazy. It matters not that the glue may be super high tech and light weight and perhaps superior to glue being used by competitors and it matters not that it may not readily visible unless you look up under there but, people do look up under there from time to time. So easy to tape off and clean at application and to avoid doing it is complete BS on an expensive boat. So disappointed to hear this is now typical on the boats coming out of Egret. I wonder what they would say if you ordered it specifically with "no glue mess"? Ridiculous to even have to make note of it. If I was Hells Bay or any competitor for that matter I would post those embarrassing Egret glue photos all over the place. I guess the idea of "rolls royce" of flats boats went away with the Consolidated crew. Rolls has no caulk mess --- anywhere and that includes way back in the back of the umbrella holders in the doors. So dumb, particularly with today's on line world where the smallest things can come back to haunt you in a big way and fast. Look mr. customer what you get for your $60k+ check --- we are too lazy to apply our materials in a neat manner for any area that isn't totally exposed. One photo like that in the right place could cost you dozens of sales. Did I say Dumb? Well if I didn't its freaking Dumb! The marketing angles and the risks and what to do and appropriate judgement on some things is clearly missing. No idea what the factory logic is there but whatever it is it surely is as feckless and inept as the Obama foreign policy. Perception is reality and for those less familiar one peak at that glue mess leaves about as poor of a perception for a new buyer as you could create. "What else might be a mess too that I can't see?" Where else are they lacking in attention to detail and sloppy in their build methods"?

My boat doesn't have anything like that but I am so pissed, I might just sell it and get a new hells bay just to make a point. Either that or make a new Decal to go under the original Logo (MFG in MIAMI). I hate to see a brand I support do stupid things like that. For the mfg. to assume that such a thing would not be important to any typical customer is a glaring oversight in appropriate judgement. What is next I wonder?
    Does that mean I'm invited to the next Marquesas trip again? Will I be the only Egret in a sea of Hell's Bays? :)