Entry Level Depth/Fish Finder.

SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
Hope you all can give me some feedback for a decent entry level fish/depth finder for the yak. Not looking for a unit with all the bells and whistles as well as break the bank.

I will primarily be using it on freshwater lakes/ponds since most of my saltwater will be flats and channels just off a flat so don't see myself using it to much there. With the cooler weather and even during the dog days of summer the bass/specks are in the deeper holes with a more consistent thermocline/temperature. Would be nice to do a drift or slow paddle and pinpoint them.

Would like if the unit also has a water temp function. Screen can be grey or color but figure color adds to cost. Not much of a marine electronics guy so turning to the experts. Also does the transducer generally come with the unit or is that a separate cost. My kayak has scupper holes so routing will not be an issue.

Thanks
Scott
Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015

Replies

• SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Thanks, looks like that will fill my needs.

Actually gonna be over in Destin working Wednesday so I will stop by BP during lunch to check out.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • Darylb23Darylb23 Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Not going to beat that deal right now. The entry level Hummingbirds are great for getting started but at that price, that is the way to go.
    South River Outfitters Fishing Team - KayakBassFishing.com AmBASSador
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    Swamprat, I forgot to say, usually the lowrance units come with the matching transducer.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Jcanracer, thanks. While looking thru the product description noticed it came with it.

Due to rain not making it to Destin, maybe tomorrow.
    Jackson Cuda 12