Age old question, Outback or Revo

I currently have a Jackson Cuda. My right wrist is starting to kill me over long periods of paddling. So I guess I'm forced to buy into the hobie family. I am just at a lost and need some help on which to purchase. I spend 90% of my time offshore.

Replies

• drod13drod13 Posts: 259 Officer
    I have the same problem but with my elbow. I have a trident 13 that i rigged a trolling motor onto. Works great but I'm buying a hobie outback for more stability offshore.
    2013 OK Trident 13/2015 Hobie Outback :fishing jig.gif
  • CannibleCannible Posts: 358 Officer
    My big issue with the outback is the launch. I've seen several time outback roll in decent surf.
  • YakNPompYakNPomp Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Hey man, I had the same question when I bought mine. I ended up with the outback after a demo of both. Its hard to fully appreciate the pro's and cons of both in a 15 min demo. The revo is faster and probably doesn't have as much hull slap as the outback but didn't feel as stable in the demo. I think the decision probably comes down to how your body fits in the kayak and how comfortable you feel in it. Everything else seemed very similar.. good luck
    Cannible wrote: »
    My big issue with the outback is the launch. I've seen several time outback roll in decent surf.

I've seen people roll revo's just the same.. I think thats more a matter of skill and experience.

I think there might be a used revo for sale from that other thread. Just needs a new drain plug
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Age old answer, whatever works for u.. pros n cons on both, do a little research and u will find 3/4 post on this, very same topic.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
    Hey man I remember you, hows the kid? I am agree I am looking for a 2015 model with a chair. I dont think I'm going to find one used.
    This is true whatever works for me, I just wanted to get the ball rolling with questions I had rather than someone else. I have however been researching and have my own opinions on this matter. I've heard you from time too time talk about how the Revo has very little to no space. Would you say the outback has the same issue?
    Pottymouth wrote: »
    Age old answer, whatever works for u.. pros n cons on both, do a little research and u will find 3/4 post on this, very same topic.
  • Nick561Nick561 Posts: 339 Deckhand
    My answer. Just picked up two outbacks. Just took them for a tester. Kick [email protected]$
    Hey man I remember you, hows the kid? I am agree I am looking for a 2015 model with a chair. I dont think I'm going to find one used.

Doing good, sleeping a little longer now. Hopefully my fishing time slots will open up in late Feb or March so I can get ready with you guys for the summer EKFT.

Used 2015's probably won't start showing up until Aug \ Sept when the 2016's are announced. Might get lucky though checking the texas kayak angler forum for some pro staffer \ used demo models. I just wouldn't expect that big of a price drop to warrant going used on a 2015 this year.
    Yeah man looking forward to it, yeah now I am feeling the outback more. How much for the beige one?
    Yea less room, but I leave anyone in the dust when I want to, cuts right tru surf. Ur not bringing everything and the kitchen sink. I take what I need and it's more than enough room (for me). Outback yes more room, better stability=heavier slower kayak. YES 2015 used kayaks are already for sale, my buddy selling his 2015 Revo.. or trading for a 2o14 PA 12..
    Mind putting him in touch with me about the revo?
    I'll race that revo anytime...lol
    Drod I'll be out the water wed.. whenever ur ready... I started with an OK 13, upgraded to an OK endeavor 13, thenupgraded again to a OK ultra, i know my Ocean kayaks.. Cannabile pm ur # and I'll pass it along.
    Mines batteried oprerated....you couldn't keep up...lol
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Yeah man looking forward to it, yeah now I am feeling the outback more. How much for the beige one?

With the floor being flat and being able to stand in the new Outback its kind of a no brainier to me. If you ever want to fish inshore being able to stand makes sight fishing a reality.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,714 Captain
    Pottymouth wrote: »
    Yea less room, but I leave anyone in the dust when I want to.

Ever clock yourself on your gps ? In the canals, I max out around 5kts with a PA14. It's a tank, but I like having the kitchen sink available. Mirage drives are not made for speed. On the PA14 at 5kts, the harder I peddle, the more squirly the kayak gets, I start loosing additional speed to additional steering. When I dump my bait tank, I gain about .3kts of speed, but also loose stability and need to watch my back more if there is any size to the seas. A Revo or an Outback are obviously faster, but does anyone have a measured run they can tell us about ?
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,305 Moderator
    John, I suspect your experience with the PA getting "squirly" is why the 2015's have a drop-down skeg now.
    As far as clocking the Hobie: With a slight following wind, calm day in Dania, and turbo fins, I was able to get up to 4mph in my 2013 Outback. I suspect I could go faster in the Revo11, but the more important thing is that I would be able to maintain that speed longer (less effort) in a Revolution.

Cannible, now that I've sold my '13 Outback I am in the market for a 2015 Hobie. I fully intend to demo both kayaks at Nautical Ventures once my tax return comes in.

Having owned an Outback and a Revo11, the stability and deck space in the Outback is kick ***. The noise from the hullslap is only an annoyance if I'm totally honest, and it doesn't affect the performance of the Outback as a fishing kayak (offshore).

The Revolution shape is superior for covering ground (err water) and its bow cuts through waves quite well. Its also slightly better at paddling than an Outback (if your drive fails or you are paddling out through the first set of breakers). However, like Pottymouth said: limited space means carry only what you need. The gunnels are narrow so mounting a ton of aftermarket crap there is difficult and also limits your ability to re-enter if you capsize or fall out.

Both will roll in the surf if you are inattentive or inexperienced, so that shouldn't be the deciding factor. Go try them out, both of them, and make your own informed decision/purchase!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    Thank you, I've done everything but sit in any of them yet. I live in Delray so I need to make a day of it.
    Thank you, I've done everything but sit in any of them yet. I live in Delray so I need to make a day of it.

I tried the outback out at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show...the seat was lower and the peddles seemed slightly farther away for the same setting than in the PA14. When your accustomed to one kayak, anything else seems ackward at first. The pool was way too small to give any kind of speed check. If your looking to make a day of it, there is a rental store that was at the last miami boat show that will apply your rental towards a purchase if you decide to buy.
    Nautical Ventures in Dania may have the same offer? Good Luck with your purchase.
    FYI everyone
    Nautical Ventures is having a demo day this Saturday 11am - 3pm
    I'm going to go try the 2015 models (Revo13 and Outback) this weekend so I don't have to schedule/pay for a water trials on a non-demo-day.
    jcanracer wrote: »
    FYI everyone
    Nautical Ventures is having a demo day this Saturday 11am - 3pm
    I'm going to go try the 2015 models (Revo13 and Outback) this weekend so I don't have to schedule/pay for a water trials on a non-demo-day.

I think everyone in their purchase system got the announcement email. Based on their website, their test area looks big enough to do some speed runs. I will be bringing my pocket GPS to compare the speeds. Maybe I will see you there.
    I'm trying to go at 11 before it gets too crowded.
    I'm not so much interested in the speed as I am in how I fit in the newer/larger Revo13 cockpit (since I usually pedal the Revo11). I will miss the extra two rod holders in the Outback, but if the gunnels look like they can take some flush mounted scotty mounts, it might not be a big deal.
    jcanracer wrote: »
    I'm trying to go at 11 before it gets too crowded.
    I'm not so much interested in the speed as I am in how I fit in the newer/larger Revo13 cockpit (since I usually pedal the Revo11). I will miss the extra two rod holders in the Outback, but if the gunnels look like they can take some flush mounted scotty mounts, it might not be a big deal.

Good idea to get there early...if your looking for more space in a pointed hull, they also make a revo16
    I was looking at revo 16, I really like it more storage and speed.
    Good meeting you guys. I'm all in for the Revo13 now. I was impressed with the new seat and it was plenty stable for me. I don't stand, so the lack of stability compared to the Outback didn't bother me. The Outback was rather nice though, more cockpit space than the 2013, felt like I was in an armchair instead of a kayak.
    I'm definitely hooked on the outback. First time standing on a kayak and it was a breeze... That 16 revo is sick! Looks like a speed demon for sure.
    After today, I also plan on upgrading to a 2015 outback. My '14 will be on sale here shortly.

Good meeting you guys. Hope to see you on the water soon.
    YakNPomp wrote: »

Good meeting you guys. Hope to see you on the water soon.

Likewise, good to see some of the faces behind the forum posts.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    IMO the stability of the OB trumps any minor benefits of the Revo (& I own both)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!