Home Politics

Jeb Bush Smoked Marijuana And Was A Bully In High School, Say Former Classmates

phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
oh he's a shoe-in now... he just got all the pot smokers and bullies. He's married to a Mexican, speaks Spanish fluently....he's unbeatable.

Jeb Bush Smoked Marijuana And Was A Bully In High School, Say Former Classmates

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush smoked marijuana while in high school, a personal use of the drug that stands in contrast to his later political stance on the plant.

“I drank alcohol and I smoked marijuana when I was at Andover,” Bush, the current Republican frontrunner seeking his party's 2016 presidential nomination, told the Boston Globe as part of a detailed new profile that describes his time at Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts. Both George H.W. Bush, Jeb's father, and George W. Bush, his brother, also attended the prestigious private school.

“It was pretty common," Bush said of his substance use during that time. A former classmate of Bush's, Peter Tibbetts, recalled to the newspaper that the first time he ever smoked marijuana was with Bush, in some woods near their dorm.

“The first time I really got stoned was in Jeb’s room,” Tibbetts told the Globe. “He had a portable stereo with removable speakers. He put on Steppenwolf for me.” Tibbetts was eventually forced to leave the boarding school after being accused of using drugs.

As a politician, Bush has not embraced marijuana. He spent much of his time as Florida governor championing jail instead of treatment for nonviolent drug offenders, and pushed for mandatory prison sentences for drug offenders -- with the exception of his daughter, Noelle, who has struggled with crack cocaine use.

More recently, while acknowledging that states should "have a right" to decide on the legalization of marijuana, Bush publicly opposed an amendment to legalize medical marijuana in Florida.

"Florida leaders and citizens have worked for years to make the Sunshine State a world-class location to start or run a business, a family-friendly destination for tourism and a desirable place to raise a family or retire,” Bush said before the November midterm election. "Allowing large-scale marijuana operations to take root across Florida, under the guise of using it for medicinal purposes, runs counter to all of these efforts."

Reacting to the Globe story, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) blasted Bush over his "hypocrisy" on marijuana.

“You would think he’d have a little more understanding then,” Paul, who may be a rival to Bush in the Republican primary, told The Hill Friday. “He was even opposed to medical marijuana. This is a guy who now admits he smoked marijuana but he wants to put people in jail who do."

The Globe also spoke to some of Bush's former classmates, who recalled a "physically imposing" young man who was seen as intimidating by some and a bully by others. Tibbetts recalled a story to the newspaper of an occasion during their boarding school days when he and Bush taunted a smaller student who lived in their dorm by sewing his pajama bottoms so that the student couldn't put them on.

Bush told the Globe he didn't remember the incident or any other bullying, and was surprised that some of his former classmates viewed him that way. “I don’t believe that is true,” Bush said, adding that it was more than 40 years ago and not possible for him to remember.

It isn't the first time that allegations of bullying have surfaced about Bush's high school years. Another classmate of Bush's told Vanity Fair in 2001 that he remembered Bush as a bully as well, and that there was "a kind of arrogance" about him during his time at Andover.

The Globe story echoes similar sentiments expressed in a 2012 Washington Post story about then-presumed Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney and alleged bullying during his prep school days.

A Bush spokeswoman told The Huffington Post that Bush did not have any additional comments on the Globe story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/31/jeb-bush-smoked-marijuana_n_6585346.html

Replies

• gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    good. full legalization is the inevitable, end result.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,822 Admin
    He just locked in my vote.
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,291 Officer
    nuevowavo wrote: »
    He just locked in my vote.
    Yeah me too, Rand Paul that is.
  • Plan SeaPlan Sea Posts: 5,453 Officer
    Nice, yet let's drug test welfare recipients instead.

BTW, when did he stop smoking dope and how long until the DUI convictions get discovered.

"but Obama" in 3....2......
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    It's amazing that he would bring this up. People grow up, learn and change. What would his time in a prep school in his late teens do with anything? Maybe it was to offset the Terri Schiavo case story that came out today, people can understand and forgive MJ use.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Some "People grow up, learn and change" for the worse.
    cpr wrote: »
    It's amazing that he would bring this up. People grow up, learn and change. What would his time in a prep school in his late teens do with anything?
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    As a politician, Bush has not embraced marijuana. He spent much of his time as Florida governor championing jail instead of treatment for nonviolent drug offenders, and pushed for mandatory prison sentences for drug offenders -- with the exception of his daughter, Noelle, who has struggled with crack cocaine use.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/31/jeb-bush-smoked-marijuana_n_6585346.html

Jeb promised his brother he'd deliver Florida & with a little strong armed help from Katharine Harris was able to over come America's Popular Vote.

Jeb may still be "A Bully".
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    **** phil you sure do hang out at huffpo a lot. You really ought to visit a real news site like FOX sometime.
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    Being around a 6'3" wealthy, alpha male with an IQ 3-4 standard deviations above the median will make any lefty feel bullied and inadequate.
  • BobDBobD Posts: 1,969 Captain
    Hey, Obama was a crack head alcoholic by his own admission. Didn't hurt him. More old dirt.
    Build your dream or someone will hire you to build theirs.
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    Being around a 6'3" wealthy, alpha male with an IQ 3-4 standard deviations above the median will make any lefty feel bullied and inadequate.

"Being around a 6'3" wealthy, alpha male with an IQ 3-4 standard deviations above the median.."

Common liberal male description.

Now head over to the trailer park for the standard RWNJ.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    tag wrote: »
    **** phil you sure do hang out at huffpo a lot. You really ought to visit a real news site like FOX sometime.

I read foxnews. They rarely have anything worth posting. Huffingtonpost provides lots of lures for :fishing RWNJs. Works every time.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    chubasco wrote: »
    "Being around a 6'3" wealthy, alpha male with an IQ 3-4 standard deviations above the median.."

Common liberal male description.

Actually,, the fact is that most liberal males are individuals who found themselves to be physically inferior and morally corrupt through the developing years. There are outliers but they are rare. Usually successful men who had what it took to be a good conservative but through profession (actors, artists and such) they found themselves surrounded by lesser specimens and developed a white guilt complex and morphed into the lesser of the species,,,, a liberal. Here are some examples of what most liberal men resemble.

Liberal Females are just ugly *****es for the most part.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • Finger MulletFinger Mullet Posts: 3,852 Officer
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    oh he's a shoe-in now... he just got all the pot smokers and bullies. He's married to a Mexican, speaks Spanish fluently....he's unbeatable.

Now I would admit having a history of smoking pot and being bully, are not positive attributes for a presidential candidate. How in the world could be being married to a former foreign national with quite an impressive resume and being fluent in her native tongue be considered negative in any manner?
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    Bully=sewing :huh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield