Home Photography Corner

OK Canon users. You better start sliding your nickles and dimes into the piggy bank.

Canon is finally bringing something to compete with the high pixel count Nikon 800/800e/810. Canon will announce on Feb 5th two cameras - new versions the 5D.

Leaked specs below and two links for those wanting more info. I looked around but could find not guessimates on pricing.

What will be interesting is if Canon's current lenses will keep up. I doubt it because Nikon has to develop new lenses for the D8XX series and wrote a white paper about which lenses can be successful in taking advantage of the sensor pixel count. I am confident Canon is in the same position.

Specifications

50.6MP full frame CMOS sensor
5DS R has the low pass filter removed (like the D800e, D810 and D7100)
Magnesium Alloy Body
Dust and weather sealed
Dual DIGIC6 processor
ISO Range of 100-6400
5FPS continuous shooting
High precision 61-point AF
EOS Itr AF
“fine detail” added to the Picture Styles
1.3x and 1.6x crop shooting mode

http://www.canonrumors.com/
http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/30/canon-5ds-leaked-specs-reveal-a-high-megapixel-dslr-geared-for-color-accuracy/?ncid=rss

Replies

• mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Craig...
    as you've pointed out several times, it's not how many pixels, but better pixels, and i agree with you whole heartily...

and i have also said for a while that there will come a point where the glass wont be able to utilize the high pixel resolution....

so while the pixel war wages on, the glass war will begin, and it ain't gonna be cheap whether its' nikon or canon...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • tailingendloop77tailingendloop77 Posts: 802 Officer
    I just got hit with multiple emails from Adorama and B&H... price is in the $3,700 range. I expect a glut of discounted 5D mark ii and mark iii cameras on the market in the coming months. I wonder if the ISO can be expanded from 6400, and exactly how good that 6400 is.

A buddy of mine just bought the 7D Mark ii and its 6400 is at least as good as my 3200 (maybe 1600).
    Loop,
    I assume you have a 5d mk II???

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    I am no Canon user but I have had many Canon users tell me that if you don't rebuild the firmware in a 5Dxxxx with the Magic Lantern hack you are stupid. One thing the hack does for still photographers is it make it a high ISO dream machine. Almost matching current Nikon offerings. :blowkiss

Oh, and we are still waiting to read which Canon lenses resolve well enough for the New camera.

When I read the price on Canon's new 11-28mm f/4......yes, f/4 is $3K all I couple do was laugh.

Not surprised at the cost of the body. When the D800/e hit the street two years ago it was $3300. The interesting part is Canon is using a Sony sensor. That made me laugh, too.
    i used the chksdk hack on my old xti that was stolen...
    it uncrippled a lot of stuff like spot metering, iso in 3rd stops and higher iso...
    also did a few other things....

as far as canon using a sony sensor, i remember when nikon used an out sourced sensor (sony?) for several years...
    hey, if they can get a good sensor cheap from a 3rd party without doing any expensive r&d, why not???

as for myself, i only own 3 pieces of "L" glass and they are all telephotos...
    canon has gotten a little to proud of what their "L" glass is worth....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Actually, Canon finally quashed the wide spread interwebs thought that I, too, fell for.The sensor is a totally Canon design not the Sony 50Mpix sensor.