Home General Fishing

New to florida upper St Johns river

weimedweimed Posts: 61 Greenhorn
Hey all, new to this forum and florida. I am moving down here in 2weeks from new york. I always fished the bays, inlets and flats around the new york area for couple years now on my 12' inflatable zodiac. Was wondering what good spots to fish and what to use as per jigs/ fake bait. I seen a guy fishing for fluke with a small bucktail and gulp which is what i use in nyc for the 24" fluke we been catching here. I been hearing murmurs abour hybrid stripers and seems like similar techniques work (silver jig, trolling spoons pencil poppers). I know theres a bunch of fish out there to ne caught just very scared leaving my well known fishing hot spots to somewhere i never been before. Thanks for your help guys/gals

Replies

• SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    "weimed"...

First off "welcome aboard" and hope that you will enjoy Florida....nice place...many nice people......and like everywhere else ....some not so nice.

You're in luck......loads of extra hungry fish here, but forget the Stripers....you ain't in the Raritan or the Schrewsbury Rocks no more and them bug bunker spoons aren't used much down here.

Thre's an ex-cop from your neck of the woods who frequents this site who if he takes you under your wing you'll be ok.

But listen Ol' Buddy...ya gotta say where you are living at for anyone to help you.
  • weimedweimed Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Sorry about that. Moving to middleburg. Looks like i will be around the brackish water. Anyone who wants to get to know me you can watch this quick vid and browse through my other vids https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eUmUcmH4tEg
    That's cool 'weimed"...

Pretty far up north and 1/3 the way in on the state.

Let's see if anyone lives in your area who will help!

But no matter what...don't give up buddy..

So what brings you do to Florida? Job.....retirement?
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    Where you are and south you can be the recipient of some great largemouth bass fishing. Popular bait is shiners free swimming under a float tossed into lily pads. The shiner will swim into the pads for shelter and the bass will be waiting. When the float disappears count to ten and set the hook - hard.
    Schmidty wrote: »
    That's cool 'weimed"...

Pretty far up north and 1/3 the way in on the state.

Let's see if anyone lives in your area who will help!

But no matter what...don't give up buddy..

So what brings you do to Florida? Job.....retirement?

Haha, wish i can retire at 29. Did not hit that mega millions yet. Got a job opportunity i decided to cash in on. Even though i am 29 i think like a 40 year old. Have my wife and my 1 1/2 year old daughter. Needed to give them a better life then sitting in a 1-2 bedroom apartment. Not to mention i love fishing so year round fishing sealed the deal. So Friday after next we hit the road and start a new life in Florida. Sister lives in plantation, she hit the road 7 years ago. Kinda far from her but at least its drivable now. Got disney land 2.5 hours out so daughters upcomming birthdays and small vacations will be cheaper. No more state tax. No more paying 300 dollars every 2 years for my gun license. State tax is cheaper, gas is cheaper. Sorry to ramble on in a fishing thread but thats the story :)
    Thanks gerrys, you can bet i will give it a shot. I am looking for those 10-20lb reds. Friend of mine said you can also go shrimping so looking forward to that. One of my favorite eating fish is fluke and i heard reports they are thre also. I do not have have an issue driving and launching south as long as fishing is good. My boat is not a slow poke either. I do 21mph 1 up and 18 2up. We always met up with a bunch of small boats here in ny and fished together. Would love to do that there too
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Welcome to the forum & I hope you enjoy your stay.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Got to ask, does weimed have anything to do with Weimaraner?

Middleburg won't restrict you to "be around the brackish water" up the St. Johns.

One of my favorite places is SR105/Heckscher Drive, on the North side of St. Johns. Plenty of places to launch a "12' inflatable zodiac" into protected saltwater tidal areas, as well as the big inlets at Mayport, Ft. George, Nassau Sd. in good weather. Similarly St. Augustine area offers Guana Lake, Salt Run & Matanzas River. Plenty of shore fishing if the water looks to big.
  • jagtrsjagtrs Posts: 146 Officer
    weimed wrote: »
    Sorry about that. Moving to middleburg. Looks like i will be around the brackish water. Anyone who wants to get to know me you can watch this quick vid and browse through my other vids https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eUmUcmH4tEg

Welcome to Northeast Florida. In Middleburg you can get your fresh water fix on Black Creek. Downfall is a lot of recreational boating and jetskis in the summer. Take the creek out to the river, and you have your reds,trout,flounder,etc. Although you'll be **** lucky to find that 10-20 lb red. I'm in Orange Park, a few miles from Middleburg. Hit me up when you get settled in. have a safe trip down.
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Wouldn't Middleburg area be the lower St. John's since the headwaters are to the South.

Anyway welcome and hope you have success down here fishing. Lots of variety from small ponds to the Atlantic Ocean.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
    Got to ask, does weimed have anything to do with Weimaraner?

Middleburg won't restrict you to "be around the brackish water" up the St. Johns.

One of my favorite places is SR105/Heckscher Drive, on the North side of St. Johns. Plenty of places to launch a "12' inflatable zodiac" into protected saltwater tidal areas, as well as the big inlets at Mayport, Ft. George, Nassau Sd. in good weather. Similarly St. Augustine area offers Guana Lake, Salt Run & Matanzas River. Plenty of shore fishing if the water looks to big.

Weimaraner Is a very nice looking dog but no. My name is a bunch of mispelled account name which was supposed to say wicked but cellphone spelling has been cruel to me. As per launch locations, i feel like a kid in a candy store. Just wanted to thank everyone for being sp friendly. Hopefully i will see some of you on the water :). @jagtrs, you can bet on me giving you a shout :)
    "weimed"....

Just remember Ol'Buddy......you ain't in NYC anymore and there is all kinds of "stuff" in and around the water down here that can, might and will bite you if you ain't careful...

In the 50's my Uncle reached down from the dock on the John's and said, "Give me your hand boy"......

A big snapper was about 4 feet away when he jerked me out of the water.

Snakes...spiders....snappers...sharks...stinging ya-ya's......all kinds of "stuff"....if you get my drift.....and ya gotta keep your eye out for your kids.....

Welcome to Florida....:grin
    @Fibber, nice dog but no. Came from a misspelled log in name of wicked.
    @Jag, you will get a shout once i am down there
  • gator_79gator_79 Middleburg, FLPosts: 90 Deckhand
    I live on 220 just down from Whiteys Fish Camp, Middleburg/Fleming Island area. I fish the St. Johns, and Intercostal, and on a rare occasion I also do a little freshwater fishing. I usually fish during the week, either by myself or with my neighbor. I'm by no means as knowledgeable as some on here but I do manage to catch my fair share of fish. Hit me up when you get down here and I'd be glad to show you around.
    2013 Xpress H20B, 115 Yamaha 4 str w/ Hydro Jackplate
    Schmidty wrote: »
    "weimed"....

Just remember Ol'Buddy......you ain't in NYC anymore and there is all kinds of "stuff" in and around the water down here that can, might and will bite you if you ain't careful...

In the 50's my Uncle reached down from the dock on the John's and said, "Give me your hand boy"......

A big snapper was about 4 feet away when he jerked me out of the water.

Snakes...spiders....snappers...sharks...stinging ya-ya's......all kinds of "stuff"....if you get my drift.....and ya gotta keep your eye out for your kids.....

Welcome to Florida....:grin

I do not fear snakes,spiders. Sharks and gators are a different story. Do i need a firearm with me just in case?
    weimed wrote: »
    I do not fear snakes,spiders. Sharks and gators are a different story. Do i need a firearm with me just in case?

Actually....

Not a whole lot of people get killed by anything other than other human beings in Florida or elsewhere for that matter.....so if you want to carry a gun....get one for the "two legged snakes"...:grin

I guess about 300 or so people get bitten by snakes in FL each year....with very few who antagonized the snake to promote the strike. A small girl was killed by a Python some time back when it strangled her to death. And those snakes seem to be showing up more and more every year in highly populated areas.....and eat cats and such.

I am not offering that you should be paranoid about them......just be aware that they are around and if stepped on...or picked up by a child they might bite.

Hardly anyone gets eaten by gators though more than one person has had the chit scared out of them by someone who quietly walks up to a waters edge in knee deep grass.

The deadliest creature on this planet ...by far...is the mosquito.....and Florida has quite a few who appear to get really hungry in certain times of the year.

And yes! Sharks .....there's a whole lot of sharks in Florida waters, but it isn't like they jump out of the water to get you. Guys who wade waist deep with a stringer of bloody fish are probably the most likely to get a visit....so take the appropriate precautions.

As for me...I fear them all....as I know what they all can do.....but because I take the right precautions ....I am proud to say that "to date" not a one of them has ever killed me!:rotflmao