Home Politics

South Florida Must Read

FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
February issue of 'National Geographic' has an article that's a Must Read, especially if you live in South Florida.

Titled: "Treading Water - Price Tag For A Warming Planet" it is a very measured view of what's expected over the short term. Interestingly it starts with a Dutch development company's get rich quick scheme to build a floating-village in order to accommodate the rise in sea level. Article concentrates on plans only out to 2060, making it easier for 20 somethings to imagine their retirement years.

While the story focuses on Florida, the ramifications are worldwide.

Replies

• m9000m9000 Posts: 2,139 Captain
    Explain to me why an elevation of 5 ft above sea level in South Florida is more vulnerable than any other location on the coast at the same elevation. Actually, more northern latitudes are theoretically at greater danger due to higher tidal ranges than little latitude, low tide range Miami.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Florida is not like Holland.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Going under water in Florida is almost exactly like going under water in Holland.

The article illuminates a critical difference. Florida's geological 'basement' is exceptionally porous compared to Holland's. This allows for salt water to penetrate inland more easily, displacing freshwater habitats & infiltrating drinking water supplies.

Article also mentioned the fellow who estimated sea level rise based on how high up bridge piling Barnacles were growing.
    Going under water in Florida is almost exactly like going under water in Holland..

:grin No it isn't. The guy who wrote and researched the article is a journalist and doesn't do science or engineering and only visited Florida once as part of researching the article.

The South Florida Water Management District's jurisdiction is larger that the entire Netherlands and serves a larger population as well. Its flood control responsibilities are internal and combined with water quality, water supply and restoration.

Additionally and most importantly satellite data shows virtually no increase in sea level rise trending in South Florida since collection began.

This is confirmed by physical observations and bench marking for FEMA mapping and local coastal building permitting regulations.

Nothing to fear.

But if you want a good story:

82977-2.jpg

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,957 Captain
    This thread might get good folks............
    We"ll have to wait and see Fibber's rebuttal........
    They themselves claim: "The South Florida Water Management District is the steward for more than 1 million acres of public land." - right next to their map. While this doesn't clarify how much "more than 1 million acres" they claim to be "the stewards for" keep in mind that 1 million acres is ~1562 square miles.

Multiple sources show "the entire Netherlands" land area variously between ~13,000 to ~16,000 square miles.
    The South Florida Water Management District's jurisdiction is larger that the entire Netherlands and serves a larger population as well. Its flood control responsibilities are internal and combined with water quality, water supply and restoration.

But thanks for "a good story".

http://my.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/portal/xweb%20protecting%20and%20restoring/recreation
    "This thread might get good" if respondents had read the NG article.
    MACD wrote: »
    This thread might get good folks............
    We"ll have to wait and see Fibber's rebuttal........

Its a fascinating story.

The South Florida Water Management District has jurisdiction of 18,000 sq. mi., including 16 counties and 8.1 million residents.

Its bigger than Holland.

"This thread might get good" if respondents had read the NG article.

I only look at NG for the pictures............
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,197 AG
    I live in northwest Florida.

Should I be worried?
    Warning Level 2
    Sorry about your contention SFWMD "serves a larger population as well" - but apparently the population of the Netherlands is nearly 17 million residents.
    Its a fascinating story.

The South Florida Water Management District has jurisdiction of 18,000 sq. mi., including 16 counties and 8.1 million residents.

Its bigger than Holland.

That's easily double what you claimed was "a larger population".
    SAENole wrote: »
    I live in northwest Florida.

Should I be worried?

We"ll have to wait and see if Holland is larger than NW Florida.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,197 AG
    I'm going to do a barnacle count first thing in the morning.
    Warning Level 2
  • a83060a70663ff035f2ab97e21696926.png

No surprise there...
    I only look at NG for the pictures............

Probably MACD's best hope of seeing bared boobs.
    No surprise there...

Probably MACD's best hope of seeing bared boobs.

Only those primitive native ones......you know what I mean............:)
    We've enjoyed your attempt to dismiss the Dutch developer.
    The South Florida Water Management District's jurisdiction is larger that the entire Netherlands and serves a larger population as well.

But your numbers haven't even scratched the surface of the NG article.

https://www.google.com/#q=population+of+netherlands+2014
    Gary can try to derail into semantics about Netherlands, attempting to move the goal posts, but inevitably 'South Florida Must Read' the undeniable signs from the environment.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/south-florida-especially-vulnerable-rising-sea-levels/
    Gary can try to derail into semantics about Netherlands,

Now the blaming begins..............
    Your Off Topic derailing never stops....
    Now the blaming begins..............
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Gary can try to derail into semantics about Netherlands, attempting to move the goal posts, but inevitably 'South Florida Must Read' the undeniable signs from the environment.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/south-florida-especially-vulnerable-rising-sea-levels/

Miami has a poorly constructed drainage system. Flooding has to do with an engineering error,,, not a fabricated sea level increase.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
    Even dumber than your usual stuff.
    fins4me wrote: »
    Miami has a poorly constructed drainage system. Flooding has to do with an engineering error,,, not a fabricated sea level increase.

The Atlantic Ocean pours into South Florida cities during "King Tides" & fins thinks it "a poorly constructed drainage system... an engineering error... a fabricated sea level rise".
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    Even dumber than your usual stuff.

The Atlantic Ocean pours into South Florida cities during "King Tides" & fins thinks it "a poorly constructed drainage system... an engineering error... a fabricated sea level rise".

You are obviously very ignorant of Miami history in regards to flooding issues. Miami has had flooding problems for decades. Long before the global warming cult you worship with ever cracked a hymnal.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • rodzrodz Posts: 668 Officer
    February issue of 'National Geographic' has an article that's a Must Read, especially if you live in South Florida.

Thanks Fibber. When I read this post I ripped open my freshly arrived copy. Miami has two types of flooding. West Miami is low lying and during the rainy season will flood. Coastal flooding is the other and they are separate issues. Also, I think SFWMD only handles fresh water. I don't think an entire generation of architects and engineers designed communities to allow coastal flooding like Miami Beach. I've been to Venice, Italy maybe half a dozen times and have seen some crazy tides that flood. Regardless, it's here - just ask your insurance agent.

This would not be good. From the article.
    I'm thinking about inventing a flotation device for concrete home slabs/footers........
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 4,094 Captain
    This is a map that makes progressive communist cry :cry and get mad when you question thier religion.
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    Scminnow- Please allow me to point out the error in your post before another does so with a tempered tongue. You misspelled their in your post.
    Your map is exactly what I elude to many times during the discussion of Florida and saltwater flooding. Folks bring it upon themselves to choose such a location to live. What goes around, may indeed come back around.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • sjm1582002sjm1582002 Posts: 4,364 Captain
    Perhaps we can convince newly arriving carpet bagging Yankees to purchase homes in floating condominiums "just to be safe".

We then only need to await a stiff westerly breeze to blow them all out towards the Gulf Stream where they will be whisked back closer to the bleak and forlorn areas from which they came.

You have to admire the creativity exhibited by the lab coat wearing witch doctors and their rain dancing cousins in the "scientific media" who have conjured up yet another "imminent calamity" to frighten the gullible and expand government control.

Hollywood could sure use some of it.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    Scminnow wrote: »
    This is a map that makes progressive communist cry :cry and get mad when you question thier religion.

:rotflmao

Here is the one I like. It was actually posted by an alarmist to prove man made activities are changing sea levels......needless to say (for anyone with critical thinking skills) that thread did not end well for him. :grin
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    fins4me wrote: »

This is partially true. More on point is that poor city planning allowed the historic flooding areas to be occupied. Those regions should never have been allowed to be occupied. Unfortunately, the abandonment cost is now way to high. FEMA (or another program) does not cover voluntary abandonment. Thus we will wait and see if FEMA does their job and forces abandonment upon flooding, if and when it does come.

Oh, and for the record this has been a hilarious thread to follow and read.