Home Egret Boats

New 189 Owner (to be) trying to decide on electronics...

gal218gal218 Posts: 105 Officer
(This thread may be better suited for an electronics forum, but decided to start her)

Just ordered a 189 from Frank yesterday...left the Electronics open while I try to sort it all out.

I want compatibility with the FMT chip and have narrowed the choice down to Lowrance or Simrad...leaning towards the Lowrance HDS Gen3 9 or 12.

However, now I'm wondering about the GPS "talking" to the trolling motor. I like the concept of pointing to a spot on the chartplotter and have the trolling motor go there.

My 189 order currently has the MinnKota 24v with iPilot. Lowrance units do not talk to MinnKota trolling motors. So now I'm wondering if it is worth trying to get compatible units?

Are many of you using GPS/Trolling motor combos that talk to each other?
What units to you have?
Are you happy?

Any ideas or thoughts are welcomed.

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,393 Officer
    The only trolling motor that will work is the Motor Guide XI5.
    I just received the Motor Guide Gateway Kit. I will be installing it over the weekend and will have some feedback for you on it.
    I can tell you this. I've always had a Minnkota I pilot on every boat I've owned since 2005.The Motor Guide XI5 is hands down a better unit.
    It's transmission is way quieter when turning. It also locks onto spot lock faster and keeps you in your spot without drifting off like the Minnkota does which was the most annoying thing in current and with structure around you! Do yourself a favor and buy the XI5 instead.
    There are a few that have changes over here and they should chime in.
  • gal218gal218 Posts: 105 Officer
    Thanks for the information...I still have time to change from MinnKota to MortorGuide...look forward to hearing about your experience with the Gateway Kit.

What electronics do you have?
    Lowrance HDS Gen2 12Touch
    Great...anxious to hear your feedback.

Do many 189's have the 12" HDS I wonder? Will the 12" unit accommodate the windshield option and a compass?
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Ditto to everything Flats Boy said about the electronics.

I have had 24 volt and 36 volt Ipilots and while I consider them a good, reliable motor with some nice features, I had a major love hate relationship with the anchor function on the Ipilot. It caught me a ton of fish without ever having to drop an anchor, inshore and out over wrecks. But man did it cost me a bunch of fish with its wild wanderings when you need to anchor precisely. I can't tell you how many times I have been live chumming a spot that was loaded with snook or reds and all of a sudden the Ipilot doesn't realize a gust of wind is shoving me right towards the spot I'm casting to. When it does finally realize it, it goes to a really high power and throws prop wash all over the spot or hits the tree/dock I'm casting to...blowing the fish completely out.

With the Motorguide Xi5 the anchor function is absolutely amazing. It barely wanders no matter what the wind or current does. Then you also have the ability to micro adjust your anchor position. That feature has already caught me a bunch of fish this winter keeping up with a school of stripers without spooking them. As Phil mentioned the motor and gears that turn the head are silent compared to the Minn Kota. Honestly my only concern is long term reliability. The old Motor Guide wireless trolling motors were excessively problematic but I keep hearing good reports on the reliability of the Xi5. I kept my Minn Kota as a backup in case I do have an issue. But if the Motor Guide remains trouble free I plan to sell it after this tarpon season.

If you do decide to get the Motor Guide, have Frank mount it on the Minn Kota quick disconnect mount like Flats Boy and I did. That way if you decide to ever switch, it's seamless. The Motor Guide is easily adapted to work with the Minn Kota mounting plate.

For GPS/Depth I have the Lowrance HDS 12 touch Gen2 and I absolutely love it. I may upgrade to the Gen3 at some point but I haven't heard a really compelling reason to do so yet. But if I was buying new tomorrow I probably would go ahead and opt for the Gen3.

I haven't had any desire to link the trolling motor to the GPS so far. But who knows I may really be missing out. Most of the spots I'm hitting with the trolling motor are more visual versus a mark on the chart.

Feel free to reach out with any questions during your build.
    The small compass will fit with the HDS 12 Touch. As far as the windshield should be no problem.
    Here is mine!

Console1_zps5d99599e.jpg
    Boat3_zps25c5f9cf.jpg
    Thanks Tiger...appreciate all the thoughts...is your HDS 12 mounted on a 189? Windshield? Compass?

I guess with the HDS 12 it almost serves as windshield all by itself!
    Thanks for the pics...do you know if the console on your 2011 is the same size as the 189 console?
    Yes same console
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 952 Officer
    Michael MTD has the motorguide and now has it linked to his lowrance with the latest software update. He should be able to advise how it works if he has had it out over the last month or so.
    The minnkota gears are way too noisy turning around back and forth for me. The motor guide is virtually silent compared to that. I have a rhodan and it also silent turning operation compared to the minnkota. Get a Gen 3 Lowrance Touch 12.
    Yes my HDS 12 is on my 189. My Dad has the 12 on his Pathfinder too. I don't have a windshield, like you mentioned with the HDS12, you really don't need it. I highly recomend the Johnny Raye swivel mount. That way you can turn it (with no windshield) around and see it from the front deck, the Johnny Raye is much more solid than the RAM Mounts with that heavy depthfinder. I do have a compas on my console but I wish it was a little smaller one to give me a little more real estate. Frank is struggling right now to figure out where the best place is to mount the sirius weather receiver. He may try it inside the console first.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 952 Officer
    91tiger wrote: »
    Yes my HDS 12 is on my 189. My Dad has the 12 on his Pathfinder too. I don't have a windshield, like you mentioned with the HDS12, you really don't need it. I highly recomend the Johnny Raye swivel mount. That way you can turn it (with no windshield) around and see it from the front deck, the Johnny Raye is much more solid than the RAM Mounts with that heavy depthfinder. I do have a compas on my console but I wish it was a little smaller one to give me a little more real estate. Frank is struggling right now to figure out where the best place is to mount the sirius weather receiver. He may try it inside the console first.

I mounted the weather receiver on top of the platform. No issues there. I put my vhf antennae up there too and it folds out of the way. Nice since its higher there. If the receiver works well inside the console, that would be better. No idea if it would work there though.
    RAM mount not as solid as yours as noted but I have no issues with mine that find annoying. RAM does allow you to move the unit in all kinds of positions and even swivel it around to the front even if you have a windshield. Right now I am exploring using it to support a Simrad 16" which has a VESA mount on the back. I'd probably have the record for the largest chartplotter on a skiff.
    I like the idea of the 16'' Simrad for sure!
    :thumbsup
    Great information from everyone...thank you. Am not sure Frank will appreciate all the changes coming....
    gal218 wrote: »
    Great information from everyone...thank you. Am not sure Frank will appreciate all the changes coming....

Sure he will! Lol :banana
    91tiger wrote: »

I like the idea of being able to swivel the HDS...I assume the normal Lowrance bracket mounts to the Johnny Raye unit so the HDS can then tilt and swivel..correct? As you point out...forget the windshield.
  • kerleekerlee Posts: 74 Deckhand
    FWIW,

I have a new 189 as well with a windshield and grab bar around the windshield. I have the Gen2 HDS 9 touch. It looks good on the console but the after a few times using it when I split the screen up, I have found that all the screens are now too small. I am upgrading to a Gen3 HDS 12 as soon as it is released. Also remember that if you are using a CHIRP transducer ( ie. Airmar TM 150), you will need to have the sonar hub ($599.00) in order to take advantage of the CHIRP technology if you have Gen2. If you get the Gen 3, the CHIRP technology is built in like the sidescan technology so you don't need the extra sonar hub box. I have the Johnny Ray mount as well and am pleased with it.
    Great information everyone...thank you again.

Based on the comments, I'll probably change to the MotorGuide Xi5 mounted using the MK mount, install the HDS 12 Gen3 (which should be out before my boat is done) with Chirp and SideScan transducers ...mount it on the Johnny Raye mount, delete the windshield and change the compass to the smaller unit.

I told Frank earlier today that he should not allow new buyers to visit the forums after they have placed their order!
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Good choice. Do not forget to get a FMT chip. Glen is adding some newer images for your side of Florida. Well worth it.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    gal218 wrote: »
    Great information everyone...thank you again.

Based on the comments, I'll probably change to the MotorGuide Xi5 mounted using the MK mount, install the HDS 12 Gen3 (which should be out before my boat is done) with Chirp and SideScan transducers ...mount it on the Johnny Raye mount, delete the windshield and change the compass to the smaller unit.

I told Frank earlier today that he should not allow new buyers to visit the forums after they have placed their order!

I would say no one should order a boat without first having the forum work it over. I really regret not getting input from the forum first. There is a lot of real world experience from the forum while unfortunately, to my knowledge, no one at the factory actually owns or uses an Egret from the factory. I'm sure Flatsboy can correct me if I am wrong on that issue. :)

I have an HDS 10 Gen 2 on a small RAM mount that have both lasted two years. The HDS 10 is starting to crap out intermittently and the RAM mount is worn out. I plan to go to the HDS 12 Gen 3 and increase the size of the RAM mount to the biggest available. When you get the boat make sure to caulk around all the cables going through the console so you don't get saltwater dripping inside.

Frank said he tried the Sirius antenna inside the console on mine and it didn't work. Don't know if it's a different antenna now or he just forgot he already tried. Mine's on the grab rail over the windshield. If you fish inlets or offshore I think you'd be glad there's a grab rail when moving from front to back of the boat.. If you get a stereo too make sure to request that the satellite antenna is connected to the stereo. Factory forgot to connect mine and it was a ***** to find the right cable in town and then a moderate aggravation to snake it through.

My MinnKota has been rock solid dependable and way better built than the boat itself. The anchor mode does drift significantly but that rarely bothers me. It's a benefit to me when working flies as it gives me different angles and drifts but I can see it hurts bait soaking. I think the drifting can really smooth boat wakes compared to an anchor on a rope in a busy place like Jupiter Inlet: the Egret deck pitched and rolled less in boat wakes on the MinnKota than a friends Onslow Bay 27 huge CC on a short anchor rope. I wonder if the "more precise" trolling motors might give radical corrections trying to deal with a big disturbance like the wake of a 40 ft sportfish.

Whatever trolling motor you get make sure the factory doesn't use any wood screws to install it like they did with mine!
    Back to your question about the Johnny Raye. Yes, the Lowrance bracket mounts to a plate that goes into the swivel base. Very simple sturdy design. I've had one on 3 boats. It stood up just fine to the pounding my Hells Bay put it through with the largest unit Lowrance made at the time. You will like the ability to swivel it, I turn mine every time I head for the bow.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    http://www.boemarine.com/

They will have their winter sale 2/4---2/12.
    Worth the phone call 866-735-5926
    To price what you are looking at.
    Prices on website will not reflect sale pricing.
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 235 Deckhand
    I'd also highly recommend Gil Travis.........2nd generation marine electronics business and he was previously also a commercial fisherman......seems to really know his stuff regarding marine electronics, transducers, etc. and the technology behind them as it applies to on the water use and fishing.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/semperfifishing-135/
    http://www.boemarine.com/

They will have their winter sale 2/4---2/12.
    Worth the phone call 866-735-5926
    To price what you are looking at.
    Prices on website will not reflect sale pricing.

I did end up buying from Brian at BOE...thanks for the tip!!
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    The only trolling motor that will work is the Motor Guide XI5.
    I just received the Motor Guide Gateway Kit. I will be installing it over the weekend and will have some feedback for you on it.
    I can tell you this. I've always had a Minnkota I pilot on every boat I've owned since 2005.The Motor Guide XI5 is hands down a better unit.
    It's transmission is way quieter when turning. It also locks onto spot lock faster and keeps you in your spot without drifting off like the Minnkota does which was the most annoying thing in current and with structure around you! Do yourself a favor and buy the XI5 instead.
    There are a few that have changes over here and they should chime in.

FlatsBoy...

- How is the MotorGuide/Lowrance Gateway working?

- Are you using it as much as you expected?

- Any issues to date?

- How/where did you install the "Gateway"? I'm thinking I want all the primary NMEA connections (ie the Gateway among others) under the console. That would mean having an NMEA receptacle in the anchor locker. A cable from the TM would plug into that. From the back of the receptacle, an NMEA 200 cable would run back to the console...the Gateway and the connections from engine would all be under there as a hub arrangement. Does that make sense?

Thanks...
    So far it works as intended and install was a breeze. I spoke to Frank on how to run the cabling and he should have it all sorted out.
    Doing the update to the trolling motor was very easy as long as you follow the directions step by step. You will need the 3.5 update in the Lowrance unit before it can update the software on the trolling motor thru the gateway to communicate to each other. I can see it coming in handy for navigating to a way point via the XI5 or following a contour line offshore.
    Thanks for the reply...

Do you have an easy disconnect in the anchor locker? Where is the small "Gateway" component located?
    I did not do the disconnect yet. I wanted to get it working before I did that. Maybe over the weekend I can get that done. The gateway module is molded inline on the cable itself and is very small and all that is needed is it to be zip tied up. There is no mounting bracket included and it not necessary.
    I'm thinking I want the Gateway module under the console...somehow. My guess is running an "extension" cable from where the disconnect receptacle is up front back to the console. I think there are NMEA receptacles that will fasten to the inside of the anchor locker (much like the 24/36V receptacle). Then, attach the NMEA "extension" to the backside of the receptacle and run to the console.
    That will not happen. The Gateway has a propitiatory connector cable on one end which mates to the XI5 trolling motor! It's not a standard NMEA 2000 that connects to the XI5! The other end is a NMEA 2000 connector. There is not a extension cable available and I'm sure it was designed that way for a reason!
    If is was like that I would of installed it also in the console and ran the cable up to the XI5! :shrug
    I will take a few pics so you can see for yourself what it looks like along with the gateway.