Home Politics

Cuba... I was wrong

13»

Replies

• SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    Investing in Cuba.....

...would be like investing in Haiti.

At one time there were many investors in Haiti, but at the whim of the next dictator everything was lost and no compensation was given.

...the same with Cuba.
  • Ssoto0055Ssoto0055 Posts: 2,139 Officer
    mustang190 wrote: »
    As I and I'm sure some others have said,,
    If Cuba is this economic hotbed why hasn't Europe or Japan or for that matter Canada invested there? Why are there no VW, Mercedes or Toyota plants or dealerships there?
    No grocery chains? No European equivalent of Home Depot?

There have investments from many companies around the world. They've all failed and have harmony extorted from them by the Cuban government.
    rickc wrote: »
    Much of Cuba would look like Miami Beach in 10 years if they turned US developers loose

as long as the Castros keep a lid on it it won't happen

sooner or later the money will win out

will that Cuba be better for the Cuban people?

Actually....

Before Castro..."Cuba" was the place to be, but like all two-bit dictators....the first thing that they did when they took over was to turn everything into a toilet...smashing, burning and looting...

....and anyone who owned anything substantial all of a sudden didn't own anything.

Now there may be some of you who "think" that the lower class of people were better off with Fidel....well....you're dead wrong.

Fidel traded sugar to Russia for guns....not food....and I have yet to see anyone "eat a gun" when they were hungry.

So there they were....sitting in their starving island chit hole with all sorts of guns....and Lemay could have could have conventionally bombed them back into the stone age with conventional bombs at will.

Wow! His paranoia led to him arresting over 100,000 Cubans who he though might go against him...many of which were killed in his famous Firing Squads.

I would never even think of ever "dealing" with the present Cuban leaders unless they were on their rat knees!
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,120 Admiral
    Schmidty wrote: »
    Actually....

Before Castro..."Cuba" was the place to be, but like all two-bit dictators....the first thing that they did when they took over was to turn everything into a toilet...smashing, burning and looting...
    !
    So Batista was not a dictator before Castro came in? or was he one that we liked?
    So it is ok to do business with a dictator as long as you like him?
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,487 AG
    So Batista was not a dictator before Castro came in? or was he one that we liked?

Actually that is EXACTLY the policy we should always follow. One need look no farther than Iran. The Shah of Iran was friendly toward US policy and should have been supported when he was threatened. Think of how different (for the better) the middle east would more than likely be if we had not turned our back on him.

Our foreign policy should always be based on what is best for the people of THIS nation.

Egypt is another example that we see unfolding for the worse right before our eyes because we encouraged the Spring of Idiocy.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"

I guess that you can choose to be "idealistic" or "realistic" ...Dragon....

I'll be "honest" and say that "Batista.... be da man"...for what the interests of the USA were concerned.

The Shah of Iran....Ferdinand Marcos of the PI....Poppa Doc of Haiti.....and all sorts of creeps and reprobates from around the world who as long as they were "our friend" were "peachy" with us.

....and when all the little monkey spankers were crying their eyes out that Saddam Hussein didn't have any WMD's...there were those who absolutely did....and ya wanna know why?.........it's because at one time he was out friend and we gave them to him....that's why.

There is really only one reason for the USA to choose one dictator over another and that is the one who gives us "stuff" at deeply slashed discount prices is our buddy....the other ain't.

So quit the trip down " kumbaya lane"..........and remember this.....the USA ain't looking for "friends"......just discount prices.