Home Politics

Big Thanks Again, Gov Scott!

mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
Great, great governor!

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. --

Gov. Rick Scott on Wednesday released his $77 billion budget. Scott's "Keep Florida Working" spending plan includes more than $673 million in tax cuts.

Earlier this month, Scott announced key portions of his budget recommendations, including a sales tax exemption on college textbooks and tax cuts on cellphones and cable television bills.

Scott wants an $842 million increase for public schools that would come from both local property taxes and state dollars.

State lawmakers will work on a final budget during the annual session in March.

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2015/1/28/gov_scott_unveils_77.html
"The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."

Replies

• Plan SeaPlan Sea Posts: 5,453 Officer
    Thanks for what exactly? recommendations?
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    His good ideas. Trying to help out the middle class.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
    mikev wrote: »
    His good ideas. Trying to help out the middle class.

OK, just glad to see you are for more government spending to promote stimulus. Thought we lost you.

Scott's "Keep Florida Working" spending plan

Hey how's Fl's debt clock looking like these days
    It's a budget. You understand that, right? You don't want a tax cut on your cell phone? Cable?
    It's a budget. You understand that, right? You don't want a tax cut on your cell phone? Cable?

Why do I even have a State tax on it to begin with (one of the highest in the Union)? You are aware of the forest behind the trees I assumed, my bad.

A tax cut after they increased it, funny stuff.
    Plan Sea wrote: »
    Why do I even have a State tax on it to begin with (one of the highest in the Union)? You are aware of the forest behind the trees I assumed, my bad.

A tax cut after they increased it, funny stuff.

It is what it is. He's trying to reduce. And you don't like it. That's kind of weird.
    It is what it is. He's trying to reduce. And you don't like it. That's kind of weird.

Dupes, falling for the same game plan, again

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/commentary/sfl-scott-using-creative-math-as-he-pledges-tax-cut-20141212-column.html

Why does our growing debt not concern you?

Mike, how can you cut taxes (inlays) and then proceed to higher spending (outlays)?

Please see Florida's debt clock. What are we thankful again?

How about creating higher paying jobs so we don't have to rely on cell phone gimmics to live here. Why don't you look into where we rank with these taxes compared to other States Mike perhaps you might get a peak at the forest
    Mike, how can you cut taxes (inlays) and then proceed to higher spending (outlays)?

It's a crafty game for sure. The net gain (or loss) from a budget perspective might not be substantial. However, what STATE taxes do you pay now?
    It's a crafty game for sure. The net gain (or loss) from a budget perspective might not be substantial. However, what STATE taxes do you pay now?

The same ones you pay

The fact is our debt continues to grow, do we really think we are in a financial position to be giving away the store?

We are far better served as a State with higher paying jobs compared to cutting one of the highest communication tax bills in the country. People get by w/o phone and cable
    Nice dodge.
    Nice dodge.

To what? if you have a point get on with it.
    Sales tax.
    Documentary Stamp Taxes
    Fuel Tax.
    Tobacco Tax.
    Communications services tax.

The two in bold are two that he "recommends" be modified. And that helps the middle class. In addition, all of the above taxes are discretionary. Right?
    Sales tax.
    Documentary Stamp Taxes
    Fuel Tax.
    Tobacco Tax.
    Communications services tax.

The two in bold are two that he "recommends" be modified. And that helps the middle class. In addition, all of the above taxes are discretionary. Right?

I'm suppose to be thankful for a sales tax cut for books when my kids no longer attend school and be so ever thankful for saving less than $4 a month on communication taxes which are one of the highest in the country while almost eliminating most of floridas surplus

Wow Mike you seemed to be one of the ones that don't fall for shiny objects
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,540 Admiral

Why does our growing debt not concern you?

To try and address this without being biased and going off on a bunch of tangents.
    Florida is a very VERY desirable state to live in.
    The burden of "state" paid taxes individuals pay is the 4th lowest in the nation. That makes Florida a hotbed for corporations to relocate, as well as the "high" paying jobs people want.
    There is a tricky balancing game state and local governments must play with the taxes collected, versus what its spent on.

Cuts HAD to be made after 2007.

Take for example The city of Tampa. Its property tax revenue alone is still $50 million below today, what it was back in 07. Cuts have/had to be made. And they were and it hurt. The city is now spending money on improvements to make it more attractive for business and high wager earners to move here. Is that what they should be doing? Spending more than they should or have? Should they not improve the city, leave it status quo, and keep cutting programs? Tough choice. Without an influx of new $$$ (IE businesses/high wage earners) more cuts would be in order anyways. (which program would be next?). Its a balance, very delicate. BTW Tampa is currently high on the list for companies to relocate(they were in the finals for Mercedes Benz)

Rick Scott was left with a disaster from Crisp.
    Sacrifices and cuts had to be made.
    Promoting and spending on bringing business to Florida and higher wage jobs AND keeping the teachers happy and the pensions paid, and healthcare, and transportation and protective services. cost ALOT of $$$$$$
    Without an influx of new $$$ those service will be hurt again.
    He's doing a great job not raising taxes(IE Keeping FL attractive), he's providing back to the programs he cut earlier, and doing everything he can to make these big corps and business and high wager jobs want to relocate to FL.

Balancing act.
    And I think he's doing a great job at it.
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • JBondJBond Posts: 5,039 Officer
    I'm suppose to be thankful for a sales tax cut for books when my kids no longer attend school and be so ever thankful for saving less than $4 a month on communication taxes which are one of the highest in the country while almost eliminating most of floridas surplus

Someone is sad they didn't get a tax increase.

I don't. And, like you, these cuts really don't mean much to me, although I do have one in college (next year anyway). And these tax breaks will help folks. That's a good thing. And like Mucky says, he wasn't handed a state in good shape.
    JBond wrote: »
    Someone is sad they didn't get a tax increase.

Florida raised taxes in the billions in 2009 and now I am elated I get to save less than $4 month on a bill

Do you even live here? If not move along
    I don't. And, like you, these cuts really don't mean much to me, although I do have one in college (next year anyway). And these tax breaks will help folks. That's a good thing. And like Mucky says, he wasn't handed a state in good shape.

Some of us expect biggers thing. Some people just settle and are "thankful" sad

In 09' our taxes increases over $2 billion let me know when I am ahead of what was collected
    Florida raised taxes in the billions in 2009 and now I am elated I get to save less than $4 month on a bill

Do you even live here? If not move along

First, some punk on the interwebs is not going to tell me where I can and cannot post, and two, why are you whining about a tax cut and in the next post whining about tax increases? Have you been taking your meds?
    Florida raised taxes in the billions in 2009 a

Billions? With a "B"? You sure about that?
    First, some punk on the interwebs is not going to tell me where I can and cannot post, and two, why are you whining about a tax cut and in the next post whining about tax increases? Have you been taking your meds?

More insults. You don't live here why do you feel the need to include yourself in a subject that doesn't effect you? You angry bro?
    It's not a cut if I have t gotten back what was already collected above the previous rate

We call it math
    Billions? With a "B"? You sure about that?

Yes mike they guy you are thanking said so
    Yes mike they guy you are thanking said so

Doesn't make it true. And if I'm not mistaken, Gov Scott was NOT the governor at the time. And, if I'm not mistaken, the massive tax increase was on tobacco.
    Doesn't make it true. And if I'm not mistaken, Gov Scott was NOT the governor at the time. And, if I'm not mistaken, the massive tax increase was on tobacco.

Your guy lied?
    http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2014/jul/10/republican-party-florida/florida-gop-says-charlie-crist-raised-taxes-22-bil/
    Never said he raised them I said they were raised and it was a lot more than smokes
    Your guy lied?
    http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2014/jul/10/republican-party-florida/florida-gop-says-charlie-crist-raised-taxes-22-bil/
    Never said he raised them I said they were raised and it was a lot more than smokes

Apparently he did. And you're right, it was a LOT more than smokes. Amazing the amount of items that the previous administration did and tried to tax. Glad he did lie then or else we'd have someone else in office. Thanks for validating the OP.
    More insults. You don't live here why do you feel the need to include yourself in a subject that doesn't effect you? You angry bro?
    It's not a cut if I have t gotten back what was already collected above the previous rate

We call it math

Nope, not mad at all. I can't help your posts become less delusional, but I can point out that your whining about both tax increases and cuts comes across as dysfunctional. Charlie and the RINO's raised your taxes after your handout from the federal tax payers was not enough to the all the spending. Take it up with them.
    Apparently he did. And you're right, it was a LOT more than smokes. Amazing the amount of items that the previous administration did and tried to tax. Glad he did lie then or else we'd have someone else in office. Thanks for validating the OP.

Mike the link states taxes were raised over 2 billion Scott didn't lie

As it stands they have not been repealed. Oh wait $3.50 a month at a time they have. That $2.2 billion is right around the corner
    Nope, not mad at all. I can't help your posts become less delusional, but I can point out that your whining about both tax increases and cuts comes across as dysfunctional. Charlie and the RINO's raised your taxes after your handout from the federal tax payers was not enough to the all the spending. Take it up with them.

I have absent help from the peanut gallery

I was unaware as well that we floridians don't pay federal taxes and have the nerve to expect some of it back