Home General Fishing

Jumping across and around the state

Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
Do a lot of you guys just fish "local" waters or do you load up the boat and try new spots and new species? Do a lot of guys living on the gulf side run over to the Atlantic side and vice versa?

Do you guys do both salt and freshwater? I'm not a bass guy at all, but we don't have 12# largemouth up here either. 8# 15oz Largemouth is our state record. 2# 13 oz bluegill sunfish is our state record. 3# 15oz white crappie is our state record.

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    I'll bounce around be it friends in other areas or a change of scenery. Mostly its the same species just a different locale. I like the gulf coast redfish style myself and being on the Atlantic side i will venture that way to switch it up
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    I generally fish local gulf waters say 100 miles East and West of me and I live 40 miles or so north of Panama City. I freshwater fish probably with in just 30-40 miles of my house

If I am out of town for an extended period of time I will take advantage of what those local waters have to offer whether fresh or salt but I make no effort to head to the East Coast when I have a pretty good fishery near me. When I lived in Central Florida I would mix up the coasts since it was the same amount of effort to get to either.

Even though you are not getting huge sized fish up in your neck of the woods I would still take advantage of the angling opportunity you have. Any day on the water no matter where is a good day
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Great discussion.... Im a wading guy. No boat. With that said. Ive waded flats from Mosquito Lagoon, south all around up to Tampa Bay. I started my career lol freshwater bank hopping in West Palm area.... Got the inshore bug, from there it was constant trips up to IRL, Mosquito Lagoon etc. Moved to Sarasota, now I drive down south (Lemon Bay etc) and North (St. Pete etc). Furthest Ill drive for a day trip is 2 hours give or take
  • Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
    Oh we do. But I can assure you I am over ice fishing.

Driving the truck on the lake to the "hot spot". You can't see the truck thermometer, but if I recall it was a balmy -26* plus (actually minus) the windchill.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    That is cool! Never saw a bass taken ice fishing!
    Great discussion.... Im a wading guy. No boat. With that said. Ive waded flats from Mosquito Lagoon, south all around up to Tampa Bay. I started my career lol freshwater bank hopping in West Palm area.... Got the inshore bug, from there it was constant trips up to IRL, Mosquito Lagoon etc. Moved to Sarasota, now I drive down south (Lemon Bay etc) and North (St. Pete etc). Furthest Ill drive for a day trip is 2 hours give or take

2 hours was my thoughts as well. That's a long day trip up here to. 3 hours gets into an over night trip. Although we have done an 8 hour drive for a run and gun long weekend.
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Looks like you are considering a move to the Trinity FL area?

That's a stone's throw from where I live over between Keystone and Westchase.

Unless you wanted to fish deep or chase pelagics you wouldn't need to trailer much of anywhere.

However...this area sets up nicely for easy weekend trips all over the state. As a result, you see alot of guys with center consoles or skiffs that can be moved around and launched.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
    That is cool! Never saw a bass taken ice fishing!

Yeah, this particular lake is notorious for Largemouth through the ice.
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    Pretty cool, first time I have ever seen a bass caught while ice fishing but then again not much ice fishing chances down here. And for that I am thankful.

A 16-18' foot skiff and you are set for fresh or inshore salt.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Kayak angler here, I go wherever I can drive to and launch my kayak. In full disclosure though, I usually stay local (Atlantic side, saltwater) so I can be home around lunch time otherwise the Mrs. gets upset with me.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    I'll fish for "slabs" every now and then...but that's it for my freshwater.....

I like Wahoo, Kings and Mahi the most and I never fish for "Bills"...."Trout" and "Soaps" are also loads of fun

I'm getting pretty old and only want to catch what I'm gonna eat
    Schmidty wrote: »
    I'll fish for "slabs" every now and then...but that's it for my freshwater.....

I like Wahoo, Kings and Mahi the most and I never fish for "Bills"...."Trout" and "Soaps" are also loads of fun

I'm getting pretty old and only want to catch what I'm gonna eat

Thanks for the comments. We are huge fans of eating seafood but I have to be honest. We have no idea of how it will really go when we live down there. Ideally I dream of a Saturday where I take the family out, catch some grouper or snapper for the grill. Maybe find some larger species to play with during the day (all inshore). Then go home and sit by the pool with a beer and fish on the grill. Here's to dreaming.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    "Catch some grouper or snapper for the grill"....

Only if the fish police allow it. Yes it's that bad.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,009 Admiral
    Wade , That's very possible down here.
    I do it often. Salt Water is only 10 minutes to my personal Mud ramp and We're off till 4 or5 pm.
    I'm fishing winding Mangrove Creeks and small bays for the most part.
    Oyster Bars are everywhere. Good for a quick snack and fish..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • MNmanMNman Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Wade...you mean like this?

just in case these Florida guys thought you were full of it when you said 26 below! Nothing like a brisk morning to get the blood pumping, right?
    This was on Red Lake last year...this years been a cupcake so far!
    MNman wrote: »
    Wade...you mean like this?

just in case these Florida guys thought you were full of it when you said 26 below! Nothing like a brisk morning to get the blood pumping, right?
    This was on Red Lake last year...this years been a cupcake so far!

This year has been nice. I'm still over it, but it's much warmer.

How about this July 3rd?

How about May 10th?
    Wade B wrote: »
    Ideally I dream of a Saturday where I take the family out, catch some grouper or snapper for the grill.

Snapper and grouper aren't even the best eating options down here. They're just the species everyone knows about.

You'll have to put in your time and climb the learning curve, but its entirely possible to catch sea trout, flounder, pompano, redfish, snook, sheepshead, mangoes, spanish mackerel, and more inside the Bay on any given day.

My wife and daughters loooove sheepshead. I'm a fan of snook. Some guys target flounder or pomps.

The list of edible salt water species is long and varied.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    Snapper and grouper aren't even the best eating options down here. They're just the species everyone knows about.

You'll have to put in your time and climb the learning curve, but its entirely possible to catch sea trout, flounder, pompano, redfish, snook, sheepshead, mangoes, spanish mackerel, and more inside the Bay on any given day.

My wife and daughters loooove sheepshead. I'm a fan of snook. Some guys target flounder or pomps.

The list of edible salt water species is long and varied.

I can't wait. Mahi is my favorite but I'm a sea sick kind of fisherman. So unless calm, I'll be limiting myself to inshore.

Scallops are the wife's favorite. We are excited to go snorkeling for them.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,009 Admiral
    They are Bay Scallops not Ocean Scallops. Smaller by far.
    Did I mention Oysters , and Blue Crabs...?
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    They are Bay Scallops not Ocean Scallops. Smaller by far.
    Did I mention Oysters , and Blue Crabs...?

Good to know. I wasn't aware of the difference. Any difference in taste or just size?
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    I live in Sarasota just a bit south of Trinity and I mainly fish the local waters. I'm an inshore guy so most of my fishing is done in sarasota bay with the occasional trip south to Charlotte harbor or north to Tampa bay. I try to make a keys trip about once a year as well as a glades trip once a year. Overall though with the fact you'll have Tampa bay near you, you won't have to do much traveling unless you just want a change of scenery.

Btw, I see you're currently in MN. My wife is from Big Lake
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tijeretatijereta Posts: 231 Deckhand
    This time of the year in Florida, when I go out in my flats boat , I look like you in the morning and by lunch time I am in shorts & t-shirt .
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,016 Moderator
    My son lives on the east coast. I store my offshore boat there and drive over to fish for dolphin and sailfish. My 2nd boat is on davits at a friend's house in Port Richey. I use this for flats for redfish trout and snook. I do have trailers for both and will drag either anywhere I need them to fish for what I want

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    You can move around and fish different waters every day for the rest of your life and not see it all. Or, you can fish Tampa Bay for the rest of your life and not uncover every secret.

What do you prefer? Endless exploration? Or uncovering and following productive patterns with little new discoveries in already known-to-you areas?

It should also be mentioned that travel time in FL is longer than most people from up north think (in my experience). In the Tampa area you will be fairly central, but plug in some popular destinations to a maps app or website and see what the drive times are. With a 2 hour radius, you chop off a lot of area.

The same could also go for bass fishing really. The amount of fishable water in Florida is mind-boggling. You couldn't see it all in a lifetime. Like Keith (bluefishinny) above, I grew up fishing inshore and bass in south FL, and have slowly branched out from there (and moved a bit). Even fishing those smaller inland waters as much as we both did, I'm sure there were things right there that we never discovered.

Cool discussion, and the answer makes you ask philosophical questions about yourself.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
    Good point. Actually I prefer to fish one body Of water and know it intimately. That way I can usually go out and find a certain fish under a certain condition every time. Usually.

If Tampa bay and surrounding waters has everything I'll ever want, chances are other than some special trip I'll attempt to become a highly knowledgable Tampa Bay inshore fisherman.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    I bounce between tampa bay and Port Canaveral. I also hit Sanibel and occasionally the keys, Juno and Sebastian and Panama City beach. If I go anywhere in Fl, I bring my fishing stuff. Every once in a while I'll try freshwater but saltwater rules.

For me there is a difference in east and west coast fishing. I'm just starting to figure out the east coast and have done well the last few times out but I like west coast fishing better.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    Good to know. I wasn't aware of the difference. Any difference in taste or just size?

We have about 6 gallons of frozen scallops in the freezer. The bay scallops are smaller, but you make up for it with quantity.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    If Tampa bay and surrounding waters has everything I'll ever want, chances are other than some special trip I'll attempt to become a highly knowledgable Tampa Bay inshore fisherman.

Heh...the Bay can be humbling...it changes with the seasons, the weather patterns, and the tides.

I'm three years in now and I'm still trying to learn the bait patterns. :huh
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Heh...the Bay can be humbling...it changes with the seasons, the weather patterns, and the tides.

I'm three years in now and I'm still trying to learn the bait patterns. :huh

Agree with that. Don't have time to figure things out like I used to, but the bay is certainly expansive.

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec