Kayak launches near Skyway

Will anyone share a close place to launch a kayak near the skyway bridge. I have never fished that area, so it's new to me. Any tips, do's, and don'ts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tight Lines and Happy Fishing!

Replies

• FishaHallicFishaHallic Posts: 660 Officer
    I see kayaks launch at the rest area on the south end of the skyway before but it is not an official launching spot. There is also some picnic areas near the north end rest area that people launch kayaks at.
  • LB200LB200 Posts: 298 Officer
    Any of the pulls offs can be used as long as you are able to carry it a short distance. You can also launch at Maximo but that is not exactly at the Skyway
  • Bulldog57Bulldog57 Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Sparty52 wrote: »
    Will anyone share a close place to launch a kayak near the skyway bridge. I have never fished that area, so it's new to me. Any tips, do's, and don'ts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You can get in both sides of skyway take off exit for fishing pier on north side .
    Fairly flat launch on sand watch for high tide mark when parking.
    Go to Google earth and you will easily see access.
    It's a good distance to Skyway so watch tides fairly strong current I have found excellent fishing around launches each side, you don't need to paddle down to Skyway
    There is good Flounder also Trout on the grass and the odd day when Reds are around.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    North SkyWay is easy turn off at the north rest area, don't go to the rest area but follow the road north of it. I go all the way to the end, it's a fairly close paddle to tarpon key. Look on google maps to figure out the road. It used to be called blackthorn park, but last time I was there the sign was gone. https://www.facebook.com/pages/USCGC-Blackthorn-Memorial/449874895106681

The south SW there are 2 launch sites. At the south end of the south rest stop past the picnic tables you can launch and head northeast to Joe island. Or you can head to the skyway pier. After you pass under the bridge there is a sharp turn going to the pier road. There are dirt paring spaces right at the turn. The launch is over the guardrail and a path into the mangroves, at high tide the water is right there at low tide maybe a 30 foot walk through the muck. But it's worth it. It leads to miguel bay and the grass flats that go for miles. On google map there are 5 or 6 cars parked at the curve.

Getting too close to the skyway is not recommended, the currents and chop can be dangerous. If your heart is set on fishing the skyway and there is zero wind the closest launch and I have seen yakers do this, is launch at the east beach at fort desoto and paddle to the north fishing pier. On a nice summer day in warm water it might be worth it if you feel up to a long paddle.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Sparty52Sparty52 Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Thank you all for the help! Being new to saltwater fishing I read this forum and use the tips that I have read. I have caught many trout, still after my first; snook, redfish, and sheephead. Will be down in February for a week of fishing, near Oldsmar, but am willing to drive to a "Hot" location.

Thanks again, I appreciate it and I will post something after I get down there to share.
  • ElkchaserElkchaser Posts: 180 Deckhand
    I gotta get down there too. Old tampa bay has been stingy with fish. That current under the main span is epic when the bay is flushing.
    About had to cut my anchor line, I was solo fishing the edge of the main channel and could not pull the 19' CC up on the anchor line to break it loose.
    Thanks for letting me know about the strong current. If I go down there to fish I will stay near the backwaters and in calm water.
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,133 Officer
    Sparty52 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the help! Being new to saltwater fishing I read this forum and use the tips that I have read. I have caught many trout, still after my first; snook, redfish, and sheephead. Will be down in February for a week of fishing, near Oldsmar, but am willing to drive to a "Hot" location.

Thanks again, I appreciate it and I will post something after I get down there to share.

There is a lot of Fish in the Bay
    You need not drive too the Skyway
  • ElkchaserElkchaser Posts: 180 Deckhand
    "nofishtoday":banghead Sounds like any day in old tampa bay.
    Thanks again. I am new to the area and just putting in my time, but not sure where some other launches are located. This forum has been a huge help for me and I thank the fishermen that provide honest answers.

Thanks again.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    http://www.paddling.net/launches/

lots of launch sites here
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr