In search of red grouper

In search of red grouper

With reddish brown color scattered with pale blotches the red grouper can reach weights up to fifty pounds. However, most are considerably smaller.
1_zps694c5feb.jpg
Many chefs prefer red grouper because of its white flesh with mild to sweet flavor, and lean-firm heavy flaked texture. Red grouper can be found from Massachusetts to Brazil and are a prime target for Florida's recreational and commercial fishermen.
Red grouper are long-lived, slow to mature, and begin life as females. Some, between the ages of seven & twelve years, transform into males. Red grouper are known for actively excavating pits in the sea floor. Fisherman call this a 'Swiss-cheese' bottom.
By 2008 Lion fish, extremely capable predators, were invading waters from Florida to the Dry Tortugas. Scientist are studying their impact on fish such as the red grouper. They are considered so detrimental that it's illegal to return a live lion fish to the water:
2_zps5b8460c8.jpg
OK! so let's go 'In search of red grouper.' Even before we leave the dock Mr. Greg Multon has us excited by displaying a large sheepshead and black drum he caught under John's Pass Bridge. Greg reports the fish are really hungry and feeding on shrimp, ousters, and clams:
3_zps809ac7b8.jpg
As we leave the Hubbard's Marina Captain Frank Bacheler's Friendly Fisherman has drawn a large crown of well-wishers. "Catch some big ones!" We are sure going to try:
4_zpsed721d56.jpg
Our ten hour trip will be fishing from 90 to 100 feet of water in prime red grouper territory. Let's hope that these hard fighting, good eating, fish are hungry. They are:
5_zps3d666ad0.jpg
6_zps46bd6980.jpg
7_zps436a75e6.jpg
Even the ladies join the action. Wow! Can they ever fish. Talk about smiles:
8_zps62366b7e.jpg
Well! Looks like all good things must come to an end. With well over 200 gray snapper and 30 large red grouper this will be a trip to be remembered. Let's go 'In search of red grouper' again ASAP. This is way too much fun to miss. Thanks to Captain Frank Bacheler for putting us on the 'Mother Load!'
Bob Harbison Florida Outdoor Writers Association

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,978 Moderator
    Mission accomplished!
  • _norm_norm Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Nice report and pictures, Bob! Here's the Red Grouper I want to catch!
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 2,964 Captain
    :fishing Thanks guys!
    Norm, sir I sure hope I am there to record the action.
  • ems810ems810 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Nice catch hopefully I'll get on them next week when in down there
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    One of my favorite fish to catch offshore. Great for kids as well as the a firetruck eats about anything!
    Thanks! Was going on a 39 hour trip this weekend 2/20/15. Canceled due to weather.
  • ElkchaserElkchaser Posts: 180 Deckhand
    When's the next chance to go out and bring home some grouper?
    Grouper: On the Florida Fisherman the next chance is, weather permitting, March 6. It will be a 44 hour trip fishing all night Friday for mangrove snapper. Saturday morning we will probably fish wrecks for AJ's. Then, later on we will come back in to under 20 fathoms to look for red grouper. On May 14 we will fish deep, 750-1,000 feet, looking for snowy grouper. We will target gags whenever the season opens.