1/26 Lake O

Been a little rough offshore lately so we went west out to Lake Okeechobee to see if the crappie were biting. The morning started out a little windy but once the wind laid down in the afternoon the fishing started to pick up. We ended up with only 5 crappie, some small bass, 1 catfish, and a pleco. We missed a couple bigger fish in the weeds because we were using some very light tackle. This was the first time I have ever see a pleco eat a lure and not just be snagged by it.
018_zps0dfec543.jpg
016_zps52b394bd.jpg
015_zps574551b4.jpg
014_zps494bf530.jpg

I spent the rest of the my time this weekend tying up some flies on the off chance that we get some calm winds soon. Don't mind the crap hooks they are tied on. Theses were just practice ties until I restock on some hooks.
003_zpsaa04f75b.jpg
001_zps6ce7d0fc.jpg
002_zpsf9c674f9.jpg

Replies

• ReelLeftyReelLefty Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    Those flies are lookin good! Nice crappie too!
  • FLDXTFLDXT Posts: 2,509 Captain
    Speck...we don't have crappie in Florida.
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Nice report. Never knew what those catfish lookalike fish were.. See them around my parents pond and caught one over a decade ago as a kid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Tight Wurk nice catchin
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 821 Officer
    Nice report. Never knew what those catfish lookalike fish were.. See them around my parents pond and caught one over a decade ago as a kid.

They also go by armored catfish. There are a lot of them in ponds, lakes and even in the south fork near my parent's house. Its scary to think of how many of them there are just on the freshwater size of the locks. I'm sure they have over run Lake O.