White Knuckle Offshore 1/20/2014-Seek and Destroy

I got a text from my buddy Chris (box stuffer) Monday afternoon about the weather Tuesday looking good for a ledge trip. It has been a few weeks since we ran the boat so I figured I could justify a trip offshore on a work day. Truth be told the trip almost never happened. After getting the boat all rigged up, we were set for the day when I had another bud back out at 8PM on Monday night. Another few frantic phone calls later I convinced another buddy Mike to join us. Trip is back on!

We met up at 5:00 and finally hit the inlet around 6:00. It seemed like the first 25 miles were decent seas, cruised around 45. The next 45 miles seemed to get worse and worse, we slowed to 35mph and for the last 10 miles we covered around 28mph. I was curious to see if anyone else experienced the same seas? By the time we were trolling it was nasty! Luckily it would calm throughout the day and by the time we left to go home it was severe clear.

Lines were in the water around 8. Our initial spread consisted of skirted hoo on the riggers, a Yo-Zuri Bonita in the wash, another skirted hoo on the planer, and finally a cedar plug way the heck out on the shotgun. It wasn't 10 minutes before the shotgun raced off! Mayhem ensued... It was at this point that we realized that both Chris and Mike suffered from a vertical challenge state and could not get the rod out of the t-top! Fortunatley the fish stayed buttoned up and Mike made quick work of a football black fin after the handoff. Fast forward 10 minutes and we have the spread back out. A few minutes later the shotgun goes off again! I left the wheel to pull the rod down and hand it off to Chris. Chris literally gets the fish on plane and ski's it in on the 50 wide, blackfin #2 is in the box! Box stuffer lives up to his name!

I'm up next... 30 minutes of boardem is racked by the shotgun line exploding under a heavy load! It's either a big blackfin or something else.. Looking back I may have put a bit to much drag in the fish but oh well, I got it in. As it approached the boat it looked like a huge blackin 30 feet back, that when we saw the stripes! Wahoo!!! Chris put a nice gaff job on the fish and we had our first hoo of 2015 in the boat! Time for a beer.. we took a few minutes to reflect and decided to swap out the skirted hoos. 20 minutes later we had the spread back in the water and things looked good.
It was mutually decided that we should continue to push east so we stayed on course to the outer ledge. I cannot remember what our depth was when it hit the planner, but when it did It was a vicious strike. Throttles up! Line is peeling out at an alarming rate and Mike is giving an audible count down on line left on the reel! The sense of panic starts to set in so we slow a bit and start to close the angle on the fish off the port side. After a good fight lasting 30 minutes we have the fish boat side and its a good one! Chris sticks a solid gaff shot and I jump over to help hoist the fish in. In the process somehow Chris takes a bloody tail to the face and ends up looking like some kind of war child! Celebratory beers all around! At this point we are all very pleased with the day and we agree to give the trolling bite another hour before switching gears. Somewhere on the outer ledge we come across a good rip and start trolling the line. Peanut dolphin seem to be scattered throughout the area and we hook up on a few. Although fun, they were to sparatic to justify targeting them so we give gave it another few minutes before bagging the troll and packing in the long lines.

It had been a stellar day already and it would continue to get better. We had a good trigger spot just a few miles away so we headed over and threw the hook. Over the next hour we boated trigger after trigger until the box was overflowing with fish and we had our limit. Mixed in with the trigger were some decent AJs but they had a difficult time making to the boat with the sharks in the area.. Sometime around 4 we started packing up and heading to the house. It was super calm at this point and my inner nascar got the best of me, I hammered the throttles down and we bolted for the inlet. We cruised home around 50 and covered the last 10 miles at 60! It was almost as if we chased the sun home. It was a great day that will go down as one of the best we have had on White Knuckle so far. Hopefully you fellas will enjoy the pics as much as I do.
Cary

BBAD1BDC-9AA1-4A1E-AB2B-0120BFB18D09_zpsomqmfp0l.jpg
718B389F-4F8C-4301-91C6-F8B2D711418A_zpsorxce5ca.jpg
C11EE524-46C4-4F28-BA05-E471FF96804C_zpsjtdlcmgn.jpg
EE938F3C-8833-4F64-936E-6AF88A36EB01_zpscz3znisf.jpg
0A0ACA1E-F0E9-4620-8B0F-89AB86BCFF30_zpsmtwltf5z.jpg
1AA7663A-C3E4-4F8E-80E0-35A7BF91FDC4_zpsiihgpr2w.jpg
635D4701-BCCF-4F9E-84F6-9376A99D9780_zpsodbmc9oa.jpg
B6A938C7-3B8D-4961-BCC0-19C1D9BB42E7_zpsoxubangi.jpg

Replies

• FlatheadfishermanFlatheadfisherman Posts: 803 Officer
    Great report. Lots of good eating fish. Congrats.
  • ShelShel Posts: 1,061 Officer
    Awesome report Cary! You're killin it man!!
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,413 Officer
    Stellar day and great write up! Well done guys! Great photos too.
    Those are the kind of days we all live for.
    Thanks for sharing it with us!
    Brian
  • model14model14 JacksonvillePosts: 1,034 Officer
    Awesome report, Cary, thanks for sharing your adventure. The pictures are great. 60 MPH! , please share your boat specs.
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,899 Captain
    Best offshore report in a while. Great write up, thanks for sharing.
  • T-DaddyT-Daddy Posts: 213 Deckhand
    Excellent report, thanks for sharing it with us!
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Captain
    Nice Job guys! Them triggers though! Hands down my favorite fish to fry!
  • knotenoughknotenough Posts: 936 Officer
    Awesome!!! Good to see reports like this.
  • AUcaryAUcary Posts: 37 Deckhand
    model14 wrote: »
    Awesome report, Cary, thanks for sharing your adventure. The pictures are great. 60 MPH! , please share your boat specs.

The boat is a 28' Whitewater, I was lucky enough to find it a few months back down in Vero Beach. The hull is a 1995 but everything else pretty much new. There are some guys running them with less power but I love the 250's on back. It sits a bit *** heavy but the extra power is awesome when she is heavy with bait and fuel in the morning. It's a bit much sometimes and it's very easy to launch the boat and make her bark, I tend to run with a heavy foot and one day my buddy Lee said it was a "White Knuckle" ride and the name stuck. I have seen a couple of them rigged with 300's, I can't fathom how sketch it would be at WOT but they are reporting 65+ ha! I am blessed to have the opportunity to own her and I can't see myself owning another boat until the day comes when I hit the lotto and I place my order for a Freeman 33 hahaha!

8db53f4e80c829de59e8ac1d205bbfc0_zps971eab17.jpg
    889b07e49249b9cbe1ad3dae75e28405_zps5868da9a.jpg
    0992E7EA-88F0-460B-8FDB-CBF667DA65B6_zps4waxskgz.jpg
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,320 Officer
    very cool! congrats on pulling it together!!
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,501 Captain
  • flblueflblue Posts: 216 Deckhand
  • knot tightknot tight Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Nice job guys we cleared the inlet about an hour ahead of you and experienced the same seas, we started at 32 knots and I was trying to keep in down to about 26-27 on the last 20 miles.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 32 Greenhorn
    Cary, I'm trying to put together a team for the Wahoo Shot out that starts Feb. 5, are you fishing it? If not, are you interested in fishing with me?
    I wasn't planning on it but what the heck, i will shot ya a pm with my contact
  • out of the blueout of the blue Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    it's a pretty good looking boat, what is your fuel burn on day out there, do you high speed for them and if so can it keep steady at 16 knots or so?. did you put the wahoo and triggers on the grill at same time and saw which was devoured first, it's always interesting to tell them what species fish they ate after they said it is so good and they find out it was trigger and no wahoo. Congrats on an excellent fishing trip
    AUcary wrote: »
    The boat is a 28' Whitewater, I was lucky enough to find it a few months back down in Vero Beach. The hull is a 1995 but everything else pretty much new. There are some guys running them with less power but I love the 250's on back. It sits a bit *** heavy but the extra power is awesome when she is heavy with bait and fuel in the morning. It's a bit much sometimes and it's very easy to launch the boat and make her bark, I tend to run with a heavy foot and one day my buddy Lee said it was a "White Knuckle" ride and the name stuck. I have seen a couple of them rigged with 300's, I can't fathom how sketch it would be at WOT but they are reporting 65+ ha! I am blessed to have the opportunity to own her and I can't see myself owning another boat until the day comes when I hit the lotto and I place my order for a Freeman 33 hahaha!

8db53f4e80c829de59e8ac1d205bbfc0_zps971eab17.jpg
    889b07e49249b9cbe1ad3dae75e28405_zps5868da9a.jpg
    0992E7EA-88F0-460B-8FDB-CBF667DA65B6_zps4waxskgz.jpg
  • ledslinger29ledslinger29 Posts: 837 Officer
    Great report fellas. Pretty box of fish
    We typically burn around 100 gallons for a trip that covers 180-190 miles. I can get around 2 MPG at 40 and 2.2 at 35, problem is I like to get places in a hurry if I can and I tend to burn a bit more. When gas goes back up we will probably have to leave earlier and take it slower. I am a very amateur cook when it comes to fish but I did the Wahoo on the grill. Its a firm meat that steaks up good. We always eat the tuna first and most of eat we just eat raw. Next we try to eat the Wahoo, it stays good for a couple months frozen. After that we eat the Trigger. Its an excellent meat that freezes great and last forever if you vacuum seal it.
    I should add, we have yet to high speed with the boat. Everything is pulled just over 8KTS. Maybe a tad slower.
  • ShelShel Posts: 1,061 Officer
    Cary,
    Did anything hit the Yo-Zuri plug you pulled in the prop wash?
    Not a bite, I figured it would get hit but nothing touched it all day
    Cary,

Thats pretty impressive fuel burn. I run a 34 Yellowfin with 3 300's. A typical 12 hour day at the ledge will burn around 200 gals. We carry 450 gals so we are pretty heavy in the begining.
    That includes pulling bait and a lot of hi speeding, that really sucks down the old fule gauge.
    Cary,

Thats pretty impressive fuel burn. I run a 34 Yellowfin with 3 300's. A typical 12 hour day at the ledge will burn around 200 gals. We carry 450 gals so we are pretty heavy in the begining.

Dang, I feel for ya. That's a sweet ride though! Yeah it's surprising how little it burns, makes fishing affordable or at least somewhat obtainable to me and my buddy's. By the time you split it 3-4 ways it's not bad at all. I would like to his speed some day but we just don't have the gear to do it right. We seem to catch them okay just slow going it so I guess if it's not broken don't fix it right?
  • out of the blueout of the blue Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    AUcary wrote: »
    We typically burn around 100 gallons for a trip that covers 180-190 miles. I can get around 2 MPG at 40 and 2.2 at 35, problem is I like to get places in a hurry if I can and I tend to burn a bit more. When gas goes back up we will probably have to leave earlier and take it slower. I am a very amateur cook when it comes to fish but I did the Wahoo on the grill. Its a firm meat that steaks up good. We always eat the tuna first and most of eat we just eat raw. Next we try to eat the Wahoo, it stays good for a couple months frozen. After that we eat the Trigger. Its an excellent meat that freezes great and last forever if you vacuum seal it.

that is great fuel use and you are catching them, agree not broken no need to fix, im running a 32 YF with twin 300's Verado and can't get that thing to stay at 16 knots hight speed, not a good hull for that , i' m burning 160 average with no high speed i get to high speed we go north of 200 usually 8+ hours minimum trolling and 4 to 5 running there and back. Agree with you Trigger does keep better in the frezzer than wahoo and taste very good even after 4 months in th e frezzer. I think the none vented hulls are much better for the high speed thing
  • sydngoosesydngoose Posts: 538 Officer
    awesome report, awesome box of fish. thanks for taking the time to post!
    Ortega River, Jacksonville, Fl
    One life, Live it.
  • Big EricBig Eric Posts: 266 Deckhand
    Greta report guys, ready for another weather window on a day I can get out.
    schmidthappensfishing.com