Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Dolphin in January... What the Heck!

It's been awhile since I've posted on here but I'd like to share a report with you guys. Yesterday since the weather was pretty nice and the seas looked pretty much like lake water I figured I would go out to the spans in the 14 mile range and try for the keeper AJs that come in closer this time of year. I was not let down. First drop was a 33in AJ. All day long just about every cast with a vertical jig produced. Some where smaller 25"to 29" range but about every 4th fish was keeper sized. Getting sore of the AJs I moved into baiting some cut spanish and produced some keeper trigger, beeliner, and mangrove. I pulled in an undersized scamp, a ton of endangered red snapper, and several undersized triggers. I stayed anchored on one spot from about 11am to 3pm... Nearing the end of the day I was pulling anchor up and my friend spotted some birds circling a top water explosion about a 1/2 mile away. We decided to go check it out. As I got closer I noticed what first appeared to be a cloud's shadow only there were no clouds. I pulled up to a bait ball about 5 acres in size. There was fish popping all around it. The surface was boiling. I started throwing a vert jig with a treble hook and instantly found bonita which was good since the home bait freezer was looking a little skimpy. Several casts in I hooked a fish and it went flying into the air. I though I had foul hooked a bonita but my friend yelled it's a dolphin. Since it's January I was in disbelief but as it got closer and I saw yellow I knew he was right. I boated it and threw back in the same spot and hooked another but he did his little air walk dance and threw my jig. After that it was the bonita show again and I couldn't find the dolphin school for the rest of the day. I was shocked though to catch one in January.... especially within 14 miles. January > What the heck!

Replies