Home Photography Corner

For perspective - P&S shots from 1999

WB DrifterWB Drifter Posts: 203 Deckhand
Shot in 1999 with a 1.6 MP ~ 3X zoom lens (38.4 to 115.2 mm) Kodak DC260 ...
picture-005.jpg

picture-046.jpg
[size=-6]The rest of the shots ...[/size]
vptm.gif
Y2K Project Worcester, MA
[size=-6]Enjoy the ride ~ dwb ☯[/size]
[SIGPIC] You are only allowed 0 images. [/SIGPIC]

Replies

• mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Darrell,
    hard to believe what 1.5mp would do isn't it???
    there are some nice snaps in the lot...

i have this old 3mp minolta 10x that captured some stellar photos...
    still have and use it from time to time...
    that little camera is why i went digital,,,
    i wish sony had left the minolta marque on their cameras...
    their old 35mm were legendary...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • WB DrifterWB Drifter Posts: 203 Deckhand
    Tim,

Hard to believe what 1GB of storage cost back then. I've still got several 16 & 32MB SD cards I use to transfer software updates & GPS data to the "units". Now you can get a decent 64GB SDXC card for around $30.

Darrell
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    It makes me wonder where we'll be camera wise in 15 more years.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Canon just announced in the next round of "pro" cameras there will be a 52Mpix sensor in one of their camera. The pixel wars rage on. We don't need more pixels we need better pixels.

The best "newest" technology that (can be seen today) and will find its way into mainstream cameras is, "lightfield technology." This technology can be seen in the Lytro camera. You choose the focus point after the photo is taken. There is also a crude implementation of this technology in the newest Samsung phone cameras. I don't think the technology is mature or that people know what to do with it yet.

http://www.gizmag.com/lytro-consumer-light-field-camera-shifts-focus/18996/

Other more far out in time technology we will see in the foreseeable future is more software-based and not hardware-based. We will be shooting continuously (sort of like video) and the camera will select the best frame(s) for you based on artificial intelligence logic. The Nikon 1 has a primitive version of this but IMHO it doesn't work very well.

The Red Cinema camera can overcrank at upto and including 240 fps, each frame is 14Mpix in near Nikon DSLR quality (read: resolution and sharpness of detail). However, who whats to pout through conceivably tens of thousands of frames to select, say ten? The coming logic software will help solve the issue. Sort of makes hitting the shutter button at the "decisive moment" a moot point.
  • WB DrifterWB Drifter Posts: 203 Deckhand
    ..."lightfield technology" ... software-based ... DSLR quality ... hitting the shutter button at the "decisive moment"...

I saw something about the Lytro camera that peaked my interest, but I never followed up on it. Image processing / software updates I can see. Video and still camera technology leap frogging will further advance both fields.

Maybe there's some "magic" waiting to happen that will make having to have a stable full of glass lenses just a memory too.