Grunt Queen Knows Where Da Fishes Are!

Just a few pictures of recent day trips to the reef near Marathon. Some spots have a lot of good fish, but too many sharks and king fish. Tuesday we caught a dozen large mangroves from 16" to 22", biggest ones I've caught. Getting big porgies, a few muttons, margates and lots of hog fish.

Even shrimping paid off last week. We spent the whole night, but four of us got our limits. Haven't seen it that god for five years....

Going again tomorrow, hoping the bite continues!

Cameron

Replies

• bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 459 Deckhand
    Good job Cameron,looks like you have been using all the skills learned on the Yankee Capts .keep it up
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    Nice fish. Still, "ain't nothin better than grits and grunts". :)
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,281 Officer
    Nice mess of fish! You boys gave em a whoopin.
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,837 Captain
    Nice catching fella's! Even limiting out on shrimp.?! That's great! I guess the fish follow the shrimp and you're in the right spot.:thumbsup
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 626 Officer
    Congrats Cameron the weather and the fishing looks great. I love and miss Jolly Roger CG, gotta get back there soon.
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher
  • TavernierGuyTavernierGuy Posts: 917 Officer
    Nice done! Great eats and great looking hogfish!
  • corriccorric Posts: 148 Officer
    Dinner! RC
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,405 Officer
    Nice work! Curious how big the shrimp?
  • cameron sleepcameron sleep Posts: 495 Deckhand
    Snaphappy wrote: »
    Nice work! Curious how big the shrimp?

They were all eater size 3" and up. A few large, looked good in the bucket!
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,007 Officer
    Cameron - Just curious, how do you guys catch shrimp in the Keys? Up here (Melbourne/Cocoa Beach Area) you usually hang a lantern off a bridge and use a long handled dip net.
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 238 Deckhand
    Grunt Queen needs to be elavated to Hog Queen...
    Xaf wrote: »
    Cameron - Just curious, how do you guys catch shrimp in the Keys? Up here (Melbourne/Cocoa Beach Area) you usually hang a lantern off a bridge and use a long handled dip net.

We use a rectangular net hung from the bridge, or dip them at the headwall. Got ten hogs today again. Shrimp rule!!
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,405 Officer
    Nice!
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 808 Officer
    ****, you got those hogs dialed in!!!
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,843 Captain
    capcioffi wrote: »
    ****, you got those hogs dialed in!!!

Yes those Hogs are among the more difficult to catch hook and line. You must have some great Hog secrets! Maybe you should write a book since the Hogs are so popular, like another book I have, "Crappie Secrets".
    Yes those Hogs are among the more difficult to catch hook and line. You must have some great Hog secrets! Maybe you should write a book since the Hogs are so popular, like another book I have, "Crappie Secrets".

I hope the bite continues!
  • cudamancudaman Kendal LakesPosts: 404 Deckhand
    Nicely done again! Awesome on the hogs over and over. You are wiping them out.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    Looks like some great hauls. I agree about the shrimp run possibly having an effect.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Grunt Queen

I thought this thread was about Hialeah Angler.:)
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 532 Officer
    Great report, Cameron in the few years you've been around you've learn the trade fast and well.
    Looking forward to rubbing elbows with you in the pulpit of the Big Bad Bus, mind you witha brand new paint job! :)
  • Coral HeadCoral Head Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Nice haul on the fish and shrimp Grunt queen but what have you done for me lately.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,130 AG
    Yes those Hogs are among the more difficult to catch hook and line. You must have some great Hog secrets!

I'm betting that his shrimp catching is directly related to his Hogs catching!