Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Late Report.. hot trout bite

Hey everyone.. I have been super busy ever since our seventh child was born in October so I haven't been able to get out fishing in a while! I took my 11 year old boy and 9 year old girl out fishing, her first time in the 10,000 islands! This was the last week of December and there were really low low tides so I decided to hit the flats and drop offs around the outer islands.. first spot we stayed at for about two hours, turned into a trout fishing competition between the two.. I believe final count after two hours was Anna Maria 45 - Paul 31 (Just trout), she kicked his butt! There was tons of bait all around us and she caught a few Macks mixed in with her trout as well. It was an incredible.. after two hours their arms were sore and they wanted to go look for wildlife instead of fish.. hahahaha.. you know you are having a good day when that happens.. I feel so blessed to be able to take my children there. Thanks once again to all you guys on the forum for helping me with the learning curve earlier on.. just check out the happiness in their faces.. that is your thanks!!!!
Anna Maria with her first trout ever!

Paul with his first trout of the day

Anna Maria with her first ever Spanish Mackerel

With her second Spanish Mack, this time I told her to look at the mouth.. she freaked because of the teeth.. hahahaha (I'm terrible)

And Paul with one of the nicer mackerel of the day

All trout were released.. they varied from 10 inches to the biggest one of the day was around 19, I didn't have time to take too many photos because I was helping either dehook or put live shrimp on.. oh.. and we got boarded by park rangers.. inspected our cooler (it only had food in it) they were really nice just checked safety equipment on board, but they got on Anna Maria's bad side because they docked on her side of the boat and her brother was catching trout one after the other on his side.. , its okay because she still beat his pants off! Also.. used lived shrimp on jigs, they wanted the shrimp on the bottom, DOA's and live shrimp on popping cork just wouldn't work.. interesting.. anyways the one bigger mack was caught on a yozuri sinking minnow, told my son to throw it at the schools of baitfish getting blown up on.. he was hooking macks every other cast.. Thanks for reading and hope this info can help someone!

Charles

Replies