Home Egret Boats

Stealth Charger

Daniel79Daniel79 Posts: 40 Greenhorn
I have noticed the last several fishing trips, my stealth has not charged my main battery. Trolling motor batteries are fine. I get to the ramp and I need to switch batteries to ALL to get the engine to start. Any thoughts?

Daniel

Replies

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    The stealth DC charger charges the trolling motor batteries. The Stealth AC needs to be plugged in to charge the House battery. Your outboard is not charging your main house battery.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,393 Officer
    Daniel79 wrote: »
    I have noticed the last several fishing trips, my stealth has not charged my main battery. Trolling motor batteries are fine. I get to the ramp and I need to switch batteries to ALL to get the engine to start. Any thoughts?

Daniel

First question is how old are the batteries especially the starting battery.
  • kerleekerlee Posts: 74 Deckhand
    FlatsBoy wrote: »

Agree with looking at the battery age. It is my understanding that the Stealth preferentially charges the starting battery first whether the source is DC or AC. Once the starting battery is full then it starts to charge the trolling motor batteries. Depending on how Frank wired it, will determine whether you will need to leave your perko switch on position #1 when on AC charging or the "off" position when AC charging. There was a very good thread on the stealth a while back (see below) and you can always call Stealth, the owner is a wealth of information. Let us know what you figure out the problem is.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?121545-Story-about-my-Stealth-Charger-%28Very-Long%29&highlight=stealth
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »

The right answer and great read on Kerlee's link regarding Stealth.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    The right answer and great read on Kerlee's link regarding Stealth.

How do you know? Could be the the outboard charging system,defective Stealth(directing all the current to trolling series), battery connections,or the battery itself. There is no way to diagnose a battery issue from a keyboard.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • kerleekerlee Posts: 74 Deckhand
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    How do you know? Could be the the outboard charging system,defective Stealth(directing all the current to trolling series), battery connections,or the battery itself. There is no way to diagnose a battery issue from a keyboard.

Yep, you are right. We don't know. Just trying to help another owner out. I had Frank put in the voltmeter offered by stealth on my dashboard which reads the voltage to the TM batteries. The engine gauges should tell you the volts going back to the starting battery. If all those were good, I would use a voltmeter and check the voltage at the starting battery terminals when the engine was on. I think you could even check it when plugged into the AC. If those numbers all looked good, then it would appear the engine was charging the main battery, the stealth was working n AC and I might get the starting battery tested. Or you could call Stealth and have the owner walk you through the diagnostic algorithim. I spent an hour talking to him on the phone about the stealth and how to wire it before I ordered my boat. He is very helpful.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    I would guess a bad battery 1 if moving the switch to ALL gets you cranking and the trolling motor is always charged. That's the exact symptoms I had so I replaced the batteries and the issue went away.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    There is no way to diagnose a battery issue from a keyboard.

What if it were a battery operated keyboard?
  • Daniel79Daniel79 Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    I have Odyssey batteries that are 16 months old. However, this is a problem I have had for past 3-4 months. I leave my charger plugged for several days prior to my fishing trips, and the starting battery is dead. I need to switch to all to get motor to start when at the ramp. I'll fool around with the battery switch to see if I get a different result. If not, I'll give stealth a call.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,393 Officer
    1- Did you first check for loose connections and most importantly get the battery tested first to see if it is bad!
    2 - You must have a direct draw on that battery itself. If i was going to trouble shoot I would start with the bilge pump or the float switch which is connected directly to the starting battery. If it is stuck in the on position it will drain your battery with out knowing it!
    3 - But since you say you leave your charger plugged in call Danny at Stealth last.