Yankee Capt Sept 23-25 Muttons and Blacks

Hey guys just a quick report from last weekends three day on the YC...What a way to kick off a season and what a way for me to spend my fortieth birthday. Details are hard to remember trip was kind of a blur but best I remember muttons started coming over the rail on the first drop. I think we started fishing shallow around 110 and moved a little deeper from there. After sunrise Capt Greg took us to deeper water and we fished around 220ft most of the day. Every stop produced a few nice fish with a few big muttons up to 18 pounds. Mixes of Yellow-eyes, red and scamp grouper and a stud Black as well. There were plenty of kingfish around for those who wanted to catch them as well. I kept a couple for bait. For me personally I managed a fish or two most stops and was feeling good heading into friday night.
Friday night the Muttons were fired up. They were eating kingfish and goggs and it seemed everyone was catching fish. Doesn't get much better in my limited experience. Size of fish remained strong the whole trip as well.
Saturday was pretty much a repeat of the day before, perfect weather and a steady pick of fish followed by another night of great action. The sharks finally caught up with us Saturday night costing me and a few others a few fish not to mention some terminal gear. Oh well thats the price we pay.
Current was pretty much a non factor I never fished over 6oz and fished fours some. Flyers were few and far between but did pay off when caught. I would say kingfish ended up catching the most muttons but at least around me goggs were catching the bigger fish.
It was indeed another great trip, I fished with some old friends made lots of new friends. Capt Greg and Capt Matt kept us on fish and the mates and galley chef worked hard as well.
And one last thing, I told several people on the way out that I was catching a forty pound black on my fortieth birthday and although I was a day late and it was not quite forty I did manage a decent black.
090.jpg

Replies

• DynamicDynamic Posts: 65 Deckhand
    Nice Catch!!
  • the great wallthe great wall Posts: 254 Officer
    Nice job lebowski
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    Very nice! :beer

I talked to at least one angler aboard that trip and he said it was a very good trip.

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 1,990 Captain
    Great report, that is super nice black, congrats! It has been a few years since we did the YC as we bought a boat. I do recall we had a good trip, probably not as good as yours but a blast to fish the Tortugas. Thanks for sharing!
  • kalv13kalv13 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Great work! I went to check out what the first trip brought in and was amazed how many coolers were over flowing with fish.:applause
  • cool breezecool breeze Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Nice black
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Congrats on the Black..4-6 OZ boy it must of been light.

This a great time of year for fishing, glad Capt Gregg made the choice to come down early.:applause
    Capt Bill
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Nice job Dudley. Sorry I leaked your fish all over the internet before you posted but once you texted it to me I immediately forwarded it.. The colors on the fish were so pretty I just couldn't help myself!! If you get him because you're forty, I'm going to need heavier line at my advanced age!! And stronger arms.
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,404 Officer
    Thanks guys. Jake that was too funny lol. I'm hoping some other guys on the trip will put their two cents in and maybe post some pics. Every trip I have the intentions of taking more pictures but once the fish start coming over the rail its the last thing on my mind. Hopefully Mike or Timmy are on the forum and will post some GoPro footage of Timmys big black.
  • MwoodMwood Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Finally got time to register my new account, and get some photos uploaded.

Dudley, it was nice to meet you, you summed it up pretty well. This trip was definitley not one to miss. The weather was perfect, the crew was great, and the fish were hitting. I dont think i can remember a trip with the amount of quality fish that were on the boat. It was pretty amazing being that this was the first trip of the year, as it seemed that captain greg and matt had the fish dialed in like they had been down for months. That being said I will not bore you with mindless details, and just get down to the good stuff.

Go pro of john with one of his nicer muttons (click the video)
    th_GOPR0025.jpg

My buddy Tim with the pool winning black
    IMAG0455.jpg

Another shot
    IMAG0453.jpg

Nice ARS :cry
    GOPR0027.jpg

Tims biggest mutton
    GOPR0031.jpg

Back at the house
    IMAG0462.jpg

IMGP0004.jpg

Thank you to the whole yankee capt crew for another awesome trip, can't wait to get back down there. :applause
    Team Penny-Less

Like us on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/TeamPennyLess
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 236 Deckhand
    Envy you guys. Trips with great results need to be appreciated. I have not seen a trip like this for a long time and is going to give it another run in a week +. Kudos to the YC and hardworking anglers. Nice Black on regular snapper gear, awsome.
  • danmanswagdanmanswag Posts: 515 Officer
    what spots did you guys have on the rails? curious...
    looks like 4, 5, 6, 7 on the stern
    We were on the stern but rail spot made no difference. There were limits caught by some on the bow and midship as well. Proper bait presentation is the single most important thing to catching these fish. Keep your lead on the bottom but don't over do the freespool. You have to keep some tension on the line to maintain contact with the bait. I saw a few guys just letting the current take and take without ever tightening up. This just creates a huge belly in the line and you can't feel what's going on with bait.
    Perfect explanation
    Hey David you checking the weather every fifteen minutes yet?
  • cudamancudaman Kendal LakesPosts: 404 Deckhand
    That's a nice black, thanks for sharing the story and happy b-day.

Edit: Those are some nice pink fish!!! An what a beauty of a black groupa!!! Looks like another super nice trip on the Yankee Capts! :hungry
    Snaphappy wrote: »
    Hey David you checking the weather every fifteen minutes yet?

Yeah, good guess, weather doesn't look as good as the past week, but doable. Looks like the first front is passing threw.
  • miamidolfinmiamidolfin Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I fished rail spot 40 on this trip and had a blast although I did not catch nearly as much as the rest of the guys. It was only my second trip so still learning the
    Mutton fishery. Many thanks to Eduardo and Adel my rail mates for their wise advice and many tips. Still amazed how little sleep everyone gets
    on these Marathons. Great job by Capt Greg and Matt to constantly move the boat and put us on fish. Next time definitely make a better effort of
    findings Gogs and catch Kingfish for bait. Omar.
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 815 Officer
    Yeah, good guess, weather doesn't look as good as the past week, but doable. Looks like the first front is passing threw.

Where can you see the weather a week away? I will worry starting Wednesday.

Greg
  • fish4funfish4fun Posts: 225 Officer
    I don't see anyone who looks 40! :) Happy Birthday and congratulations on your trip.
    Thanks Fish4fun. Trust me I was feeling every year when I rolled out of bed Monday. Takes a couple days to recover from these trips.
    I bet, I'm not looking forward to what its going to feel like 8 years from now, when im 40 and finishing a overnight trip to the tortugas, thank god for tramadol.
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 527 Officer
    You guys are being babies. :cry

My hat always goes down to Caroline :obscene for those of you who did not get to meet her (she moved up north two years ago) she was well in her seventies and going on the YC back to back weedend in and weekend out and spending most of the trip at the rail! The last year or so she was visibly in disconfort but she did it anyways. :hail

Reason for her moving in her own words... "to hunt deer and boar"

I hope I have half her spirit when I'm her age.
    That's awesome
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Caroline was awesome. I didn't know she hunted. She once told me about the Keys deer that she fed at her home. I suggested that their little tenderloins were probably delicious (in jest of course) and she got mad at me!
    I'll certainly spend most of the time available at the rail but I do need a couple of days to recover after.
  • amighoamigho Posts: 776 Officer
    TONIGHT
    NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS. SEAS 5 TO
    7 FEET. SEAS HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND
    ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY
    NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS.
    SEAS 5 TO 7 FEET. SEAS HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SCATTERED SHOWERS
    AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY
    EAST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 7 FEET. SEAS HIGHER
    IN THE GULF STREAM. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY
    EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET. SEAS
    HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED
    THUNDERSTORMS.
    :fishing:USA
    Yuck. Sure makes it hard to get motivated to pack and prepare for a four day trip.
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 236 Deckhand
    Other than NOAA doom, most are forecasting that the DT will get breezy this w/e!!! Not enough to force us into shelter but sporty on the bow. Good luck David. There is lots happening on the Atlantic side. Pack, I think it will be but not sure we will be out of the woods until we get thru Fri. Prepare for the worst as windfinder shows a very threatening pattern that could swarm us in the DT if we don't get the south breeze. The Ironman is jinxed. 5th in a row now??
  • amighoamigho Posts: 776 Officer
    Safety first, good call Captain.

TODAY
    NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS. SEAS 5 TO 8 FEET.
    SEAS HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SCATTERED SHOWERS.

TONIGHT
    NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS. SEAS 5 TO 8
    FEET. SEAS HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SCATTERED SHOWERS.

FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT
    NORTHEAST TO EAST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS.
    SEAS 5 TO 8 FEET. SEAS HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SCATTERED SHOWERS

SATURDAY
    EAST WINDS NEAR 20 KNOTS...DECREASING TO 15 TO 20 KNOTS.
    SEAS 5 TO 8 FEET. SEAS HIGHER IN THE GULF STREAM. SCATTERED SHOWERS

SUNDAY
    SOUTHEAST TO SOUTH WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS. SEAS 3 TO 5 FEET.
    SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

MONDAY
    SOUTH WINDS NEAR 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. SCATTERED
    SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.
    :fishing:USA