Looking for feedback on Cannon Macro lens

mike_smike_s Posts: 424 Deckhand

Just started looking on line for a Cannon Macro lens for my 7D. I kind of like the EF-S 60mm, it seems to be a step up from the EF 50. Would a 100mm be to big? Is there any advantage of a 60mm vs 100? Looking to stay in $400 -600 range. Any feedback on these would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Replies

  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Mike:

    The 60mm will practically behave like a 100mm lens on the 7D, as compared to a full frame camera, like the 5D.

    I suggest waiting around for one of the Canon guys to reply like Mississippi Mac. You could PM him. Alternately you could ask your question over at FredMiranda.com or DPReview.com. Let us know what you do.
  • capttcbcapttcb Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    What will you be shooting?
  • mike_smike_s Posts: 424 Deckhand
    Mike:

    The 60mm will practically behave like a 100mm lens on the 7D, as compared to a full frame camera, like the 5D.

    Exactly. That's what got me to thinking that a 100mm would be too big. The reviews I have read on DP Review state that some of the Macro lens can be hard to use or it takes awhile to get use to. Any truth to that? Good idea on posting to the DP Review forum.

    Thanks
  • mike_smike_s Posts: 424 Deckhand
    capttcb wrote: »
    What will you be shooting?

    Mostly flowers, creatures, insects etc. More of a have fun lense to mess around with. Thats also why i was shying away from the $1,000+ lenses. I guess i could do potraits at some point but thats not really the plan for now.

    Thanks
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    mike_s wrote: »

    Just started looking on line for a Cannon Macro lens for my 7D. I kind of like the EF-S 60mm, it seems to be a step up from the EF 50. Would a 100mm be to big? Is there any advantage of a 60mm vs 100? Looking to stay in $400 -600 range. Any feedback on these would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Mike

    I have a ef 100 f2.8 canon lens.....
    it's a wonderful lens, sharp as a tack and also makes for a good short tele....
    it's build is pretty good although not as good as "L" glass....
    i have had it for about 5 years and never a problem with af or anything....
    when i bought mine, i paid $600 for it and feel like a good deal on it...
    if i had to choose between a 50mm, 60mm, or the 100mm, i'd buy the 100mm in a heart beat

    tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

    if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • mike_smike_s Posts: 424 Deckhand
    Tim,

    Thanks for the advice. I talked to the guys at the local camera shop this morning and he recommended the 100mm as well. Dont have to be as close and less worry about shadows.
  • SouthFlaSouthFla Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    mike_s wrote: »
    Tim,

    Thanks for the advice. I talked to the guys at the local camera shop this morning and he recommended the 100mm as well. Dont have to be as close and less worry about shadows.

    Yep, agree with the 100mm all the way. Plus if you ever shoot with a full frame body you'll still be able to use the lens :-D
  • capttcbcapttcb Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    SouthFla wrote: »
    Yep, agree with the 100mm all the way. Plus if you ever shoot with a full frame body you'll still be able to use the lens :-D

    What he said. I shoot Nikon but I've read nothing but great things about the 100mm L f2.8.
Sign In or Register to comment.