Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

March Trip Planning Help

Alright guys i need some advise. i live up in coastal GA and my brother and i are wanting to plan a trip for the middle of March to do some backcountry fishing and camping for a couple of nights. i would like to do mostly sight fishing for reds, snook and tarpon. is march a good time for any of this? this will be our first time in the area so any insight is greatly appreciated

thanks
parker

Replies

• TarpoonTarpoon Posts: 61 Deckhand
    March should be a good month but everything will be water temperature dependent. Tarpon won't really heat up until water temps are pushing 80 degrees. If you are going to be down in the Park camping the water temps will be quite a bit warmer than Marco etc...

Where are you going? Everglades Park? Beach Camping? What kind of boat?

I'd strongly recommend you hire a guide for your first day. You'll learn the patterns, where the fish are, how to get around etc... It will be money well spent vs. spending 2 days learning your way around.

The water can get awfully skinny here - especially if you're wanting to do sight fishing.
  • pak5pak5 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Tarpoon wrote: »
    March should be a good month but everything will be water temperature dependent. Tarpon won't really heat up until water temps are pushing 80 degrees. If you are going to be down in the Park camping the water temps will be quite a bit warmer than Marco etc...

Where are you going? Everglades Park? Beach Camping? What kind of boat?

I'd strongly recommend you hire a guide for your first day. You'll learn the patterns, where the fish are, how to get around etc... It will be money well spent vs. spending 2 days learning your way around.

The water can get awfully skinny here - especially if you're wanting to do sight fishing.

tarpoon...we were thinking the choko area and beach camping, we'll be in my brothers gheenoe with 8hp and TM. i have considered a guide and that may be the way we go at least a 1/2 day trip.

are there any beach camping regs? do you make reservations or is it first come first served?

thanks
  • TarpoonTarpoon Posts: 61 Deckhand
    Beach camping and camping in the Park are all first come first serve. If you camp in Everglades Park you will need a permit.
    http://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/backcamp.htm

Lots of options for beach camping outside of the park boundaries, no permit needed.

You'll be fine in the gheenoe as far as not having to worry too much about running aground. You will run aground but you'll be able to get unstuck easy! Note that if the water temps are normal in March the big tarpon likely won't be in the back country. They'll be in the outside passes and out in the gulf.

Buy yourself a good chart and bring a GPS. It's easy to get turned around. Have fun and good luck!
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,454 Admiral
    Check out Pavilion Key good.
    Big white Beach on the backside, Jiffy Jon, And it the center of the Island is a Tidal pond full of 3 to 4 inch Tiger Minnows.
    Fish the Cut at the North side. Small with good current. Nice place for lawn chairs and a big rod.
    No See Ums can be bad sleeping on the backside. Set up Camp where the wind is blowing strongest, Or you could die....really...
    Killin and Grillin :grin