Take a child fishing!

Since my little cousin was four years old he has been begging me to take him bass fishing but his mom was always very hesitant on it. Seth turned eight last summer so for christmas I bought him his first rod and reel combo with a tackle box full of goodies. Finally I was given the thumbs up by my aunt to take him fishing. Seth and I rode down to Ruskin where we bank fished on the Manatee River. I brought a dozen of small shiners but I was really wanting him to give artificial a try. I ask him what he wants to use and he goes straight to the Gambler seven inch ribbon tail worm in red shad with green glitter. I texas rig it for him and give him the basics on how to cast a spinning reel and how to work in the worm. I give the rod to him and he makes his first cast. He is reeling it in and comes across a stick pile. As soon as the worm bumped an under water limb a tiny mouth came out of the water and made a splash. I say,"Seth you got one set the hook buddy set the hook"! He's freaking out in excitement and hands me the rod. I land the bass and go to give him a high five. In that very moment I seen a smile that went from ear to ear and a little boy that was filled with joy. I will never forget that moment in my life! It is a memory that will last a life time for the both of us.

Replies

• chut03chut03 Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Very cool! and great catch!
  • capciofficapcioffi Posts: 808 Officer
    Young lady, have your morals, thoughts, and feelings in the right line. Great job taking your time and introducing your cousin to something other than a TV. He will remember this the rest of his life and will always look up to you. GREAT JOB!!!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,707 Moderator
    That's a grand slam you hit right there Syd !

Good to see you posting and sharing such a great moment .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,483 AG
    That is great!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 545 Officer
    That's awesome Syd. I've been teaching my grand daughter to fish.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune