Boca Grande in March

We are vacationing on Boca Grande in mid-March with the family. I am looking for some general fishing info, what type of fish are available during that time, and any info you would be willing to share on where I could take the kids to catch something/anything. We will be fishing from shore, and any and all info will be greatly appreciated!!

Happy New Year!

Replies

• ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,180 Captain
    It's always good fishing at the State Park from shore around the pass and the phosphate docks.
    Do NOT wade fish in the pass, the current is very strong there.
    Jim
  • charlessyversoncharlessyverson Posts: 49 Greenhorn
    Thank you for the info. Can you share the main species that will be available during that time of year?
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 665 Officer
    North end of the island by the bridge, walk around to the Gulf side and drift shrimp with the current. Largest sabiki rig for beach fishing to keep the kids busy will catch just about anything. Watch for blues and Spanish chasing bait. Have fun
    It's hard to find a place to park there, Trev.
    Jim
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 665 Officer
    Isn't there a boat ramp on the left as soon as you cross over the bridge? Sorry, I usually stay on LGI and paddle over there. Also not sure where he is staying on the island.
    I am staying on a small island just before you get to the main island. I believe it is right near the Placida pier.
  • 68elky68elky Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    That will be little Gasparilla Island. Lots of trout in the area. The north side of the Placida Pier is a oyster bed which holds some nice fish for the kids.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,167 Captain
    Trevfishin wrote: »
    Isn't there a boat ramp on the left as soon as you cross over the bridge? Sorry, I usually stay on LGI and paddle over there. Also not sure where he is staying on the island.

No... it's right before the bridge. On the right.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Not Eldreds, I thought once you crossed over the bridge there was a public ramp on your left. Wouldn't t be the first time I was wrong

OP, are you staying on LGI?
    Ok after a trip to google maps, there is a small island with condos on it right before you get to the main Boca Grande Island. If this is the one you are referring too, there should be some trout along the sea wall. Your better option would be the channels on either side of the island, but I can't tell how much access you'll have. The area in front of here is between 3-5ft depending on the tide.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,167 Captain
    Not Eldreds, I thought once you crossed over the bridge there was a public ramp on your left. Wouldn't t be the first time I was wrong

I don't think there's a public ramp anywhere on Boca... but I could be wrong.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,114 Captain
    I am staying on a small island just before you get to the main island. I believe it is right near the Placida pier.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If LGI, which is not that small, you can only get there by boat. Same with Palm Island. We need better info to help you. No matter what mid March can be weather dependent...a long cold winter will make for different fishing than a warm one. Either way you should be able to find some action. Ask again much closer to when you are going to be there, and where exactly you will be staying.
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    I don't think there's a public ramp anywhere on Boca... but I could be wrong.

First, Eldreds is not a public ramp, but the county ramp before Eldreds is. Both are like you say, on the right just before the Causeway. The ramp on Boca Grande Trev was referring to is at Uncle Henry's, not public but you can use it for a charge, not sure what it is though.
    Yes, it is the small island with the condos just before the main island, not LGI. Thanks to everyone for the input so far. Keep it coming! Any and all info will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
    Ok, I win for getting the island right! And Uncle Henry's was the place I was talking about, didn't know it wasn't public though, sorry. I'm used to seeing all the boat trailers on the left as you come onto the main island.

Not sure of the ages of your kids, but I keep a sabiki with shrimp on my kids (10 and 13) and they have a blast pulling out anything that hits. It got to the point where they were having a competition of how many they can catch at one time. They caught pinfish, whiting, catfish and all kinds of other things. Just watch out for the hooks and the spines of pinfish and catfish.

The Placida Pier is free if I remember correctly and opens up more opportunities. If you are just walking the island, I'd bring a top water, spook Jr, Chrome or Bone, soft plastics (white paddle tail or grub tail) with jig head, and mirrodine. Around the passes, shrimp on the bottom. For bigger things, catch a lady fish, cut it up and fish the pass.

Good luck and let us know how you do...

Trev,
    That area is owned by the condo complex on the left after the bridge.
    There's a private launch farther down on the left after the mini mall.
    All of the road access after the swing bridge is owned by the Boca Grande Bridge folks. No Parking.
    Jim
    Gotcha....and that's why I just visit Boca Grande, to expensive and I like the seclusion of LGI!
  • dorian kennedydorian kennedy Posts: 121 Deckhand
    sounds like you are staying at Boca North condos. You can fish Gasparilla pass from the beach, however, I don't know what runs this time of year there.
    Dorian,
    The problem is to get to the beach at Gasparilla Pass without a boat.
    Jim
    The island the OP is staying on is on the opposite side of Gasparilla Island and Bird Island. He can walk the rock walls to the bridge and to the other side. He should be fine....so long as he doesn't lose his balance, fall in and get eaten by the Sharks...I mean worse case scenario of course..
    Let's clear this up.
    Little Gasparilla is only accessible by boat. Totally private.
    Parking on the road, south of the bridge is prohibited.
    There is a private launch south of the bridge on the left near the mini mall on Gasparilla Island.
    The State Park on the south end of the island allows parking and launching of kayaks.
    Fishing from shore is allowed at the State Park and anywhere below the high tide mark any where on the island.
    Hope that this has been some help.
    Jim
    Thank you for the info. Can you share the main species that will be available during that time of year?

Anything and every thing is there. From whiting to sharks.
    Jim
    Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the thread. Any info on fishing techniques/lures/bait to use is also greatly appreciated! Just trying to be the best dad I can be, helping the family having the best vacation possible!!
  • dorian kennedydorian kennedy Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Scoutboat wrote: »
    Dorian,
    The problem is to get to the beach at Gasparilla Pass without a boat.
    Jim

Jim, actually it is not a problem, you simply walk over the second small bridge and walk down to the beach at the foot of the bridge. You have to cross over or under people's docks, however, they all know that the beach has an easement (or public property along the tideline) and they cannot prevent people from doing this and people do it all the time from Boca North.
    Trev,
    Lots of luck walking over those docks.
    Folks rent those condos and the docks and they do not appreciate fishermen intruding on their rentals.
    Can't blame them, they're paying big bucks for the privacy.
    Jim
    Whoa, slow down, let's clear things up with a picture...the area in red is where the OP is staying...there are no docks on the Gasparilla Pass side. Yes, there are docks on the back side, but they appear to be accessible by all condo owners.

Hmm, not sure if that pic will work or not...
    That is the island! Anybody see any spots/techniques that jump out at you? Just a reminder, I will be there in March and am shore bound:)
  • pf22pf22 Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    There is a fishing pier just after Uncle Henry's (where there is a public launch) You can get bait at the marina and have chances of catching almost every specie in the harbor. Lot's of snook are caught there after dark. The pier is part of the old trestle. You can also fish off the seawall on the Ocean side of the road. On the south side of the island is the 2nd bridge that connects to Boca, there is a real strong tidal flow under that bridge and again attracts almost all species. Last week it was hot for Pompano. Other wise you can cross over the bridge and fish the beach in many locations that have access. The area around 19th street is a popular **** to hang out on and fish from shore.
    Hope you have a great time.
  • wwwwww Posts: 48 Deckhand
    Hire a guide for a half day charter. not only will you catch what ever is biting, he can give you plenty of tips on what to do around your condo.