Capsized boat off Steinhatchee

Heard the CG-side of a distress call today -- 3 folks in a Proline with black T-TOP, taking on water, some 20 miles west of the river. Sounds like the boat capsized. Fixed wing were on location last I heard (and basically calling off a commercial grouper boat that was 30 miles away, but en route)

Anyone heard any news?

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Three people were rescued from the water by a Coast Guard aircrew after their 27-foot fishing boat sank 23 miles west of Steinhatchee River, Florida, Tuesday.

Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg received a call from a man stating that his boat was flooding and would soon be underwater. He stated that all three people were wearing life jackets.

Crewmembers from an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter pose with three survivors at Airstation Clearwater, Fla., Dec. 30, 2014. The aircrew rescued the men after their 27-foot fishing boat sank 23 miles west of Steinhatchee River, Fla. (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 3rd Cass Ashley J. Johnson)
    Crewmembers from an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter pose with three survivors at Airstation Clearwater, Fla., Dec. 30, 2014. (U.S. Coast Guard photo by Petty Officer 3rd Cass Ashley J. Johnson)

A C-130 Hercules aircraft crew from Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, Florida, was diverted, arrived on-scene and located the three people, in life jackets, clinging to the overturned boat. The aircrew dropped a life raft for the people to stay in until further assistance arrived.

A 27-foot Utility Boat – Medium crew from Coast Guard Station Yankeetown, Florida, and a MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater were also launched. The Jahawk arrived on scene, hoisted all three people and transported them to the air station.

“Proper communications and lifejackets are imperative when operating on the water,” said Lt. Micheal Persun, a command duty officer at the sector. “It is only because of their VHF radio that the Coast Guard was made aware of this incident. Wearing lifejackets and staying with the overturned vessel like the Coast Guard recommends was also key to the quick rescue of these boaters.”
    http://coastguardnews.com/coast-guard-rescues-3-people-after-boat-sinks-23-miles-west-of-steinhatchee-river-fla/2014/12/30/
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    This is a prime example of how being prepared and staying with your boat can save your life. You could pretty easily die of hypothermia in 60 degree waters this time of year so a quick rescue is paramount.
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 646 Officer
    Jim311 wrote: »
    This is a prime example of how being prepared and staying with your boat can save your life. You could pretty easily die of hypothermia in 60 degree waters this time of year so a quick rescue is paramount.

Ya... that's what I was afraid of, hearing it. Wonder what happened to the boat itself. The CG kept instructing them to stay with the boat, so they knew that they were going down and couldn't stop it. Pretty eerie to hear 'stay with the boat' repeated over and over, and imagining the steady sinking of the vessel as being inevitable.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,307 Officer
    I wonder if they also used a PLB besides the VHF?
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 646 Officer
    I do not think they had one, from what I heard from the CG. They seemed to be relaying GPS coordinates to them. They were also asked to anchor the boat.
  • me3260me3260 Posts: 102 Officer
    Awesome video link. Thanks for sharing that
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,307 Officer
    Very lucky guys, glad they made it.