HUH ! K-9 Severly Bites COP !

NoeetticaNoeettica Posts: 2,300 Captain
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/12/27/_2_lakeland_police_o.html

LAKELAND --

One Lakeland police officer suffered a K-9 bite and another a fractured arm during a chase and arrest early this morning.

Around 2:45 a.m., officers responded to a fight involving about 20 people at the Tzadick Apartments at 810 East First Street.

Officers had left the complex a few minutes earlier because of an earlier disturbance and criminal mischief incident.

Three of those involved in the big fight had gotten into a silver 4-door Mitsubishi. When Lt. Ron Bowling tried to approach the car, the driver, later identified as Ryan Young, started pulling out and refused commands to stop, police said.

Officers Kristopher Conner, 26, and Cory Lawson had gotten out of their patrol cars to try and disperse the crowd, most of which had fled west. They heard Bowling tell them to stop the Mitsubishi, but Young turned onto Stella Avenue from the parking lot.

Police said Young accelerated toward the officers in an attempt to hit them. Conner then fired one shot at the car, hitting the hood.

The vehicle turned west onto Memorial Boulevard, and officers gave chase. Speeds reached 100 mph and went into areas of George Jenkins Boulevard and Wabash Avenue, but the pursuit only lasted four minutes, police said.

Police said Young jumped out of the car while it was moving at 1045 N Brunnell Parkway, and the car rolled into a duplex building, causing minor damage to the duplex and a parked car.

Officers then chased Young and caught him a short distance away. But during the pursuit, Officer De'Angelo Anthony was bitten by a police K-9 dog and Officer Connor suffered a fracture to his right arm. The bite was severe, authorities said.

Both officers were taken to Regional Medical Center, where they were treated and released.

Young was arrested and charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon (the car) and aggravated fleeing to elude. The two passengers were questioned and released.

Conner, who has been with the department for a year, was placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation.
want to know about my Gheenoes Go Here

http://www.noeettica.com/

Replies

• JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,305 Admiral
    Pretty sure, the way I heard on the radio news today, the bit officer was not the dog's handler.

The dog does not pay attention to badges.... There is no magical way to teach the dog how to tell the good guys from the bad guys. Usually when the dog is deployed off leash, the other officers pull back and let the dog and handler take care of things....

But melee's happen.....Officers and dogs both in the mix..... And officers can be bitten.....

About 10 years ago, an officer on the east coast suffered career ending injuries from a dog...
  • NoeetticaNoeettica Posts: 2,300 Captain
    Thank you JB your input is greatly appreciated ...

Other officers don't have a command they can use to get the K-9 to stand down ?

• GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,858 Admin
    Noeettica wrote: »

Then the bad guys could as well.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
    Noeettica wrote: »

No not at all..... You can switch handlers on a dog... The Military does it all the time. The US military uses a bunch of contract dogs they lease from private companies.... The dogs come trained... the first handler usually goes to the facility and trains with the dog for a couple weeks. The dog and handler then get deployed to the middle east. When the handler rotates back to the US, the dog stays. A new handler rotates in. The new handler works and trains with the dog a while... Couple weeks.

But some random person the dog has not worked for? Does not work that way.... In fact measures are taken in training to prevent the off chance the dog would obey a command from a stranger....

Way before my time, but there are stories of bad guys giving police dogs commands and the dogs obeying.

Likewise, you will not see police, military or serious dog trainers, using a sleeve except for when starting puppies.

What would happen on sleeve trained dogs is the decoy would over the arm covered with the sleeve. The dog would target the sleeve, the decoy would fight the dog a bit then slip his arm out of the sleeve... So the dog won the sleeve... The dogs would run around shaking the sleeve like a toy (because the sleeve became a toy to the dog).

A sleeve dog could usually control and hold a man quite well. But what would happen occasionally in cold weather... Bad guy wearing a jacket.... The dog grabs the arm, the bad guy slips out of the jacket, and the dog runs around shaking the jacket like it would the sleeve in training. Meanwhile the bad guy is loose. Officers got hurt and killed that way.

So they switched to body suits for decoys. Anyone training a serious dog uses a decoy in a suit and makes sure the dog knows it is targeting the man. To strengthen that, they began doing muzzle training. Putting a GOOD muzzle on the dog and working him on a decoy wearing no protective gear. This strengthened the dog's knowledge it was clearly fighting the man. The side effect of muzzle training, is through frustration and tenacity the dogs learned that their teeth were not their only weapon... The dogs started learning to use their bodies more.

Now dogs play the game until the bad guy is down and control.
  • TripleXTripleX Posts: 1,770 Moderator
    When K9 is on scene you do one of the following;

Stay in your patrol unit
    Stay near your patrol unit
    Stay behind the handler
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    Pretty sure, the way I heard on the radio news today, the bit officer was not the dog's handler.

The dog does not pay attention to badges.... There is no magical way to teach the dog how to tell the good guys from the bad guys. Usually when the dog is deployed off leash, the other officers pull back and let the dog and handler take care of things....

But melee's happen.....Officers and dogs both in the mix..... And officers can be bitten.....

About 10 years ago, an officer on the east coast suffered career ending injuries from a dog...

Dog's know the difference.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • NoeetticaNoeettica Posts: 2,300 Captain
    funny the dogs in my neighborhood go nuts when Thugs walk by ... they just know ... I LOVE it ! LOL !

chubasco wrote: »

No they do not....

IF the dog is deployed, it will apprehend a police officer just the same as a bad guy......

From a police officer....
    TripleX wrote: »

Stay in your patrol unit
    Stay near your patrol unit
    Stay behind the handler
  • chubascochubasco Posts: 18,390 Officer
    No they do not....

You just don't know dogs. They are very intuitive. If a guys a **** the dog knows and will bite his nutz off. K9 cops may tell other cops to hide in their cars when their dogs out but that's just cause they know that even with cops, some are **** and the dogs won't put up with it.
    Chubasco.jpg
  • GA FinGA Fin Posts: 8,956 Admiral
    You just don't know dogs. They are very intuitive. If a guys a **** the dog knows and will bite his nutz off. K9 cops may tell other cops to hide in their cars when their dogs out but that's just cause they know that even with cops, some are **** and the dogs won't put up with it.

Are you always a miserable scrot?
    Straight white male living a life of privilege and proud of it.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."
    TripleX wrote: »

Stay in your patrol unit eating donuts
    Stay in the donut shop
    Stay in the drive through lane at Krispy Kreme
    Fixed for the truth.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

LOL....
  • SouthFloridaAnglerSouthFloridaAngler Posts: 3,164 Captain
    I agree with chubasco. JB doesn't know dogs.
  • mikevmikev Posts: 10,822 AG
    Saw a K9 demonstration years ago. Made a decision right there and then if I ever did something wrong and they turned the dog loose on me, I'd stop, drop to the ground and curl up like a ball. You don't mess with those dogs.
    "The only people that tell you it can't be done are the people who haven't done it themselves."
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,423 AG
    My dog likes to sniff my butt
    Polar wrote: »
    My dog likes to sniff my butt

Quit packin' it with peanut butter and he will stop.