Winston's possible replacement next year

ReelingFandyReelingFandy Posts: 473 Deckhand
Rumors flying around already. What do you guys think about this one:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/college-football/report-ohio-state-qb-braxton-miller-considers-tran/njc77/

Report: Ohio State QB Braxton Miller considers transferring to FSU

The assumption is that Florida State is about to have a major drop-off at the quarterback position once Jameis Winston announces he is entering the NFL Draft.

But maybe that dip will not be so steep.

Braxton Miller, the Ohio State quarterback who sat out the season because of a shoulder injury, has shown interest in transferring to Florida State, a source close to the program said. Miller graduated this month, receiving a degree in communications, and per NCAA rules, is allowed to transfer for his final year of eligibility and play immediately.

Miller, a two-time Big Ten offensive player of the year, has thrown for 5,292 yards, 52 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in three seasons at Ohio State, two as a starter. He has completed 59.3 percent of his passes and also has rushed for 3,054 yards.

Miller has not said he is leaving Ohio State but the emergence of J.T. Barrett, who stepped in after Miller tore the labrum in his throwing shoulder in August, has most believing Miller will leave. The Buckeyes found a third quarterback when Cardale Jones replaced the injured Barrett and led Ohio State to a victory over Wisconsin in the Big Ten title game and a spot in the College Football Playoff. Jones will start Thursday in the Sugar Bowl against Alabama.

Miller, who also has been linked to Oregon, Mississippi and Duke, wants to play in the NFL and he is looking for a program that will help that process. Playing at Florida State, and for Jimbo Fisher could be the perfect landing spot.

Jameis Winston will be Fisher’s third consecutive quarterback to be drafted in the first round, joining Christian Ponder (12th overall in 2011) and EJ Manuel (16th overall in 2013).

The question, though, is if Miller, more of a dual-threat quarterback, could fit into FSU’s style. A source close to the Seminoles said if there is interest from Miller’s end, then the Seminoles are interested. The two parties cannot talk until Miller is released from his scholarship by Ohio State.

Others are not so sure if it’s the best fit.

“Braxton is a unique talent,” said ESPN analyst and former Ohio State quarterback Kirk Herbstreit. “I don’t see him choosing to go to Florida State. I could see Oregon, I could see Ole Miss because of his skill set and how he fits in a little bit better with those types of offenses.”

The FSU quarterback position will be wide open next season with this year’s backup, Sean Maguire, who started against Clemson in place of the suspended Winston, and freshman J.J. Cosentino, who is redshirting this season, the top candidates. The Seminoles have received oral commitments from three quarterbacks in the 2015 class.

Russell Wilson is the best-known quarterback to have taken advantage of the rule, transferring from N.C. State to Wisconsin for one year. Most recently, Clint Trickett (FSU to West Virginia), Jacob Coker (FSU to Alabama) and Tyler Murphy (Florida to Boston College) have moved on after graduating.
:beer, Randy

Replies

• on_the_rockson_the_rocks Posts: 7,910 Admiral
    If Jameis is a man of his word (to his mother none the less) he will be back at FSU next year.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    of coarse he's going NFL...
  • BuckeyeBuckeye Posts: 4,984 Captain
    DuPont wrote: »
    If Jameis is a man of his word (to his mother none the less) he will be back at FSU next year.

Same could be said about Miller.
    harbaugh_slow.gif

I have never eaten a booger in my entire life. -Jim Harbaugh
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,465 Admiral
    Seems like Oregon or Ole Miss would fit his skill set better. So it's a 66% chance we will see him anyway vs UF.
    Upside if he goes to FSU, Francois may flip to UF. McElwain has convinced him to do an official visit to UF next month before NSD.
    Larry Mac wrote: »
    So it's a 66% chance we will see him anyway vs UF.

It is 100% UF won't see him.

Book it.
    harbaugh_slow.gif

• Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,465 Admiral
    Buckeye wrote: »
    It is 100% UF won't see him.

Book it.

So you pretty much thinks he stays.
    Larry Mac wrote: »
    So you pretty much thinks he stays.

I think he attempts to enter the draft. When is the cut off date for that?

If he transfers anywhere it will be to Duke or Oregon, but I would be shocked.

Braxton Miller was not that good of a quarterback to begin with. Yes, he was one hell of an athlete, but he was not a good QB. He was very one dimensional, rarely checking down receivers throwing to the number 2 or 3. He lacks touch and arm strength. While many in Columbus believed he was the second coming of Christ himself, Miller has really done nothing more than help keep the program together and rolling during and after the Tressel fiasco.

Basically Miller's skill set only allow him to play with a read option run first team. If he wants to learn to throw the ball he may do well at a program like Duke. If he wants a serious shot at a National Championship as a starter he probably should go to Oregon but it would be a miracle if he was not injured again.

I don't see the fit at FSU at all.
    harbaugh_slow.gif

So unless UF has scheduled Duke, Oregon, Ohio State or some NFL (practice squad) team, I'd say it is 100% UF will not have to worry about Braxton Miller.
    harbaugh_slow.gif

The best thing he could do I believe is come back to Ohio State as a slot receiver, running back or special teams returner one more year and show he can be "valuable" to an NFL team.

But he risks probable career ending injury.

I still believe he attempts to enter the draft and get paid. With the median house hold income in the USA being $50,000 and league minimum I believe is somewhere in the neighborhood of $700k. So every year he "rides the pine" in the NFL he knocks 14 working years off his life compared to the average man. Not bad work, if you can get it.
    harbaugh_slow.gif

tOSU version of Denard... I like it.
  • CheekyMonkeyCheekyMonkey Posts: 408 Officer
    No way he could learn Jimbos system quick enough to start next year.
    No way he could learn Jimbos system quick enough to start next year.

so sad.
    DuPont wrote: »
    so sad.

Not really its a very difficult system to learn. Harder than most NFL offensives.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,183 AG
    Guess that is why Ponder and EJ are riding the pine. :huh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,834 Admiral
    If FSU wins out, Jameis has to come back. You cant walk away from a possible three-peat
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • KeysNoleKeysNole Posts: 539 Officer
    I agree with Buckeye...Braxton is not a good fit for FSU. As a fan on the outside looking in, I always saw him either running the football or chucking it as far as he could. FSU might not be the best fit, but Miller would probably be a better one year option than FSU's other candidates, and Jimbo is Braxton's best chance of being showcased (although Cutcliffe is amazing).

CanePole, I don't see Jameis coming back...he loses 4 OL, O'Leary, and Rashad Greene.
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    If FSU wins out, Jameis has to come back. You cant walk away from a possible three-peat

With or without Jboo they are not winning a nc next year. They lose way to much on offense.
  • awatawat Posts: 450 Officer
    With or without Jboo they are not winning a nc next year. They lose way to much on offense.

They ain't winning it this year. He bolts for the " National Felons League " where he'll ride the pine too.
    awat wrote: »
    They ain't winning it this year. He bolts for the " National Felons League " where he'll ride the pine too.

If you keep telling yourself that your "wet dreams" might come true. But then again they night not.
  • awatawat Posts: 450 Officer
    If you keep telling yourself that your "wet dreams" might come true. But then again they night not.

I told you so. I guess you got a dry release after all your pulling!:rotflmao