Dead Mullet

I would just like to take a minute to thank the fisherman who was so thoughtful to leave about 500 lbs of white roe Mullet floating dead in the Cape Haze ICW this wknd.

Replies

• mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 341 Deckhand
    I was up in bull bay/turtle bay yesterday and noticed a bunch of dead mullet floating, My first thought was red tide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,149 Captain
    It's the mullet fishermen. China is only buying red roe mullet right now, so the byproduct (white roe) gets tossed back... unfortunately much of the time they don't sort through it til the end of their trip so it's all dead. Too bad the tarpon aren't around right now to clean it all up.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 341 Deckhand
    That's a bummer. It stunk terribly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fishdishfishdish Posts: 1,223 Officer
    Greed and a false sense of entitlement. They weren't brought up right but that's no excuse, they know better. Karma is a MoFo.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,198 AG
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    It's the mullet fishermen. China is only buying red roe mullet right now, so the byproduct (white roe) gets tossed back... unfortunately much of the time they don't sort through it til the end of their trip so it's all dead. Too bad the tarpon aren't around right now to clean it all up.
    Asians have never bought anything but red roe.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    fishdish wrote: »
    Greed and a false sense of entitlement. They weren't brought up right but that's no excuse, they know better. Karma is a MoFo.

Wanton Waste of Wildlife is Illegal & I'm sure FWC would appreciate any leads to help them find the perpetrators...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,158 Captain
    Not defending these guys, but they keep what they can sell.
    Obviously, wasting natural resources effects us all and the guys doing it should be prosecuted just as a sport fisherman who throws a deep hooked undersized redfish overboard.
    Mullet are not "overfished".
    The net ban took effect to minimize damage to sea grasses.
    Something the jack plate guys should remember when they go buzzing across the flats at 30 MPH.
    Jim
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,849 Captain
    Scoutboat wrote: »
    The net ban took effect to minimize damage to sea grasses.

Jim

The net ban did more that that....................It certainly reduced the bi-waist of sport fish by controlling the commercial mullet heads..

Did you ever fish as a sportsmen in SW waters before the net ban?.....it sucked in the 80's
  • fieromanfieroman Posts: 230 Officer
    not all of the mullet men are doing this some are sorting them after each throw of the net hey i even had one yesterday ask me if i wanted the rejects. you would think that they would want more of the fish still living so they could make more mullet
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,106 Captain
    They were offshore out of Pinellas too. I ran across them a couple years ago and there were 1000's of them for miles offshore. Someone clearly dumped what they couldn't sell or didn't want. This time they were much more spread out but someone definitely dumped some. Seems kind of crazy to me with all the FWC and NOAA BS we have to put up with all the time that someone is doing this kind of crap.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • LoggedOffLoggedOff Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    CaptainBly wrote: »
    They were offshore out of Pinellas too. I ran across them a couple years ago and there were 1000's of them for miles offshore. Someone clearly dumped what they couldn't sell or didn't want. This time they were much more spread out but someone definitely dumped some. Seems kind of crazy to me with all the FWC and NOAA BS we have to put up with all the time that someone is doing this kind of crap.

You got that right... I witnessed plenty of commercial net throwers in the bay behind Casey and Siesta Key sorting and tossing at the end of the day and thought the same thing. Just like the Red Snapper regs...goes to show who has better lobbyists.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    What would you prefer they do with their by catch? What happens today is much better then before the net ban.

Would it be better to have them thrown in a dumpster?
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,335 Admiral
    Pilchard wrote: »
    What would you prefer they do with their by catch? What happens today is much better then before the net ban.

Actually the law requires that they release them alive and most of them do sort through them and release the males alive. It's just that some don't care and that in turn gives all of the Mullet fishermen a bad name. As I've said before if you see this happening call the FWC and or your local Sheriff's Office while its' occurring.
    Westwall01 wrote: »
    Actually the law requires that they release them alive and most of them do sort through them and release the males alive. It's just that some don't care and that in turn gives all of the Mullet fishermen a bad name. As I've said before if you see this happening call the FWC and or your local Sheriff's Office while its' occurring.
    Most are released alive, a percentage die after being handled, much like a certain percentage of reds, trout, and snook die after being handled.
    The mullet deaths are just more concentrated in a small area for a short period of time, instead of being spread out gulf wide 52 weeks out of the year for rec caught fish.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.

I did not know that. I will call next time. I do have a question for you... If this is an issue, why doesn't FWC put an officer in the areas where there are a shload of mullet guys during peak times?
    I did not know that. I will call next time. I do have a question for you... If this is an issue, why doesn't FWC put an officer in the areas where there are a shload of mullet guys during peak times?

I don't work for FWC but I do work with them and they do the best they can with the limited manpower that they have. Its always worth a call to them and to your local Sheriffs Office as well.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,106 Captain

I don't know the laws or rules. Last week I saw maybe 50-100 floating mullet over a couple mile area. A couple years ago it was hundreds of 1000's. There were miles of dead mullet.

If the rules are they are supposed to release them alive, then they should do so. What I have seen was definitely not a percentage that died during handling. They were dumped. No doubt in my mind. If us lowly recs are supposed to follow rules then so should the commercial guys. No excuses for not doing so. Just being a scumbag. Just sayin'
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
    CaptainBly wrote: »
    I don't know the laws or rules. Last week I saw maybe 50-100 floating mullet over a couple mile area. A couple years ago it was hundreds of 1000's. There were miles of dead mullet.

If the rules are they are supposed to release them alive, then they should do so. What I have seen was definitely not a percentage that died during handling. They were dumped. No doubt in my mind. If us lowly recs are supposed to follow rules then so should the commercial guys. No excuses for not doing so. Just being a scumbag. Just sayin'
    Plenty of scumbag recs too.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,713 AG

I suppose letting them go alive (as is required by law, I believe) rather than dead and floating after sitting in their boat for hours is too much to ask?
    ANUMBER1.....released properly that number of male mullet don't die. Sure there is a small percentage that don't make it, but you know as well as I do that there is a certain segment of commercial fishermen that don't sort through them as they should only looking at the almighty dollar, thus screwing those that do.
    Thanks Tarponator- I was not trying to stir the pot... Like I sometimes do... I was simply unaware of the regulations.
    ANUMBER1.....released properly that number of male mullet don't die. Sure there is a small percentage that don't make it, but you know as well as I do that there is a certain segment of commercial fishermen that don't sort through them as they should only looking at the almighty dollar, thus screwing those that do.
    So, what is the release mortality rate?
    What percentage? What number?

I agree that there are some folks that don't cull like they should.

Was there any boats that sank this year with fish on?
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    So, what is the release mortality rate?
    What percentage? What number?

I agree that there are some folks that don't cull like they should.

Was there any boats that sank this year with fish on?

Yes there was...........
    Yes there was...........
    I'm sure their fish floated up on the beach.
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 814 Officer
    **** ocean rapists!
    I'm sure their fish floated up on the beach.

Yeah....only the white roe floated up, the red still made it to the market
    Yeah....only the white roe floated up, the red still made it to the market
    I'm sure the county officials squeezed the vent on each mullet to determine sex..:rotflmao:rotflmao
    Tarponator wrote: »
    I suppose letting them go alive (as is required by law, I believe) rather than dead and floating after sitting in their boat for hours is too much to ask?
    Most fishermen cull as they catch. It doesn't make financial sense to waste space with fish you can't sell or fish worth .20/lb vs 1.50/lb.
    Most fishermen cull as they catch. It doesn't make financial sense to waste space with fish you can't sell or fish worth .20/lb vs 1.50/lb.

Most not all....as is required. Those that don't ruin it for all
  • ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Plenty of scumbag recs too.

None were involved. This is indefensible, Art. You should choose your battles more carefully.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse