Skip to main content
Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

PC off shore

Left port looking for live bait after about a hour and 2 live baits we gave up and went bottom fishing, had lots of action in some small croakers sea bass and snapper, made a move and started trolling for kings and the king bite was red hot. Put the 2 live baits out and they got knocked down with in 5 mins put them on ice for dinner then trolled some sardines to play catch and release for a couple hours with multiple double header till we ran out if beer so we headed in to eat and drink at grills

Replies

• mako2567mako2567 Posts: 288 Deckhand
    Left port looking for live bait after about a hour and 2 live baits we gave up and went bottom fishing, had lots of action in some small croakers sea bass and snapper, made a move and started trolling for kings and the king bite was red hot. Put the 2 live baits out and they got knocked down with in 5 mins put them on ice for dinner then trolled some sardines to play catch and release for a couple hours with multiple double header till we ran out if beer so we headed in to eat and drink at grills

Nice...I also had the same results bottom fishing did have a really nice cobia with lock jaw. OK now the question where was that king bite?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BmanBman Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    mako2567 wrote: »
    Nice...I also had the same results bottom fishing did have a really nice cobia with lock jaw. OK now the question where was that king bite?

On Friday, 8a. We had the same experience on bottom. Went to 8a with one live blue runner that produced an immediate king- then sabiki'd up lizard fish and blues that we drifted for kings. Bite was steady- every good quality live bait turned into a strike.
    Bman wrote: »
    On Friday, 8a. We had the same experience on bottom. Went to 8a with one live blue runner that produced an immediate king- then sabiki'd up lizard fish and blues that we drifted for kings. Bite was steady- every good quality live bait turned into a strike.
    Thanks for that may head that way tomorrow. ..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jersey johnjersey john Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    The bite was on the north end of 8a slow trolling on top didn't set the down rigger up
    The bite was on the north end of 8a slow trolling on top didn't set the down rigger up

Perfect...thanks..did you getem on live baits?..where in jersey you from I use to own two tackle shops in Cape may.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jersey johnjersey john Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    mako2567 wrote: »
    Perfect...thanks..did you getem on live baits?..where in jersey you from I use to own two tackle shops in Cape may.

From howell fish out of Belmar and out of LBI
    The 2 love baits we fought were like gold, but trolled sardines due to lack of love bait and did good on them
    If you can find love bait use them if not bring some frozen as back up, cut the tails off the frozen bait so they don't helicopter around on you
    Good luck and let me know how you make out
  • greggvgreggv Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    hi gents, sounds good out there. me and my 2 boys are new to the area and country, got a 23ft centre consol and babbled a little without much luck ! So signed up here hopefully to get some tips, so hope you dont mind the odd question or 2 from my side. 8A, i know where that is, are the kings expected to hang around for a while, I am thinking of this weekend ? where do you bottom fish, 2 boys want action sometimes regardless of size ?? cheers, and thanks for any help you willing to share
  • tryacctryacc Posts: 339 Deckhand
    A good bet if you don't own one is the Hot spot map 8a and many other man made reefs are marked on there and most will produce bottom fish. Might try Pelican Flats, Tiger red reef, or 21 fathom ridge, to name a few more.
  • greggvgreggv Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    ok thanks. i will give 8a and that area a try on saturday. any ideas on how the sea/weather is looking for the weekend ?
  • bay20bay20 Posts: 1,491 Officer
    greggv wrote: »
    ok thanks. i will give 8a and that area a try on saturday. any ideas on how the sea/weather is looking for the weekend ?
    should be doable if you go just buy a couple of boxes of sardines and rig them on a kingfish rig shouldn't' be a problem catching any kings. Jersey John was fishing with me and as he said you could barely get a bait in the water. Be careful when letting the bait out too those fish were hitting it on the way out and it makes it real easy to get a big fat bird nest or burnt thumb.
  • Offshore6Offshore6 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    It pays to watch the weather. The go-to location for official forecast is the buoy that is 20 miles offshore Canaveral. They are not always right.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS52.KMLB.html