Skip to main content
Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Miamimuttonman Reporting from the Reef 12/26/14

miami muttonmiami mutton Senior MemberMiami, South FloridaPosts: 1,145 Officer
Went out with this little kid, that is one of the best 4 year old fishermen I've met, We anchored in 60 feet and started the chum and the yellowtails came right up and close, but the current was so slow, that they were not eating well at first and the hound fish were very thick, making it real hard to get your bait passed them, but with a few little tricks we did it very often and started filing the cooler. As we caught the tails his father Edwin put down a bottom rod with a speedo chunk and he waited patiently for his first ever grouper and it happened ,He got slammed and was bending the rod on a nice black , which I was gaffing into the boat within minutes. Then it was his friend Omar's turn, but Omar got a another surplice hit, that ended up being a keeper mutton. Then they said ok its your turn, so I put down another speedo chunk and a few minutes went by and I get such a big hit I was bent over with the rod within seconds. I was able to turn the fishes head and quickly new it was another black, as I was reeling it in the fish ran around another line that Edwin had out and he quickly free lined it and I was able to stick the grouper with the gaff and in it went. We were running out of chum and oats and the current had picked up so I wanted to take advantage of what little we had to put a few more tails in the cooler. So while we had the two rods on the bottom, I was putting bait out for the tails an I started to hook up some really nice tails and some flags even after running completely out of chum, I caught another 7 fish back to back. The chum had run out and the time also, so we called it a day. Here are the pics. tight lines. IMG_0383_zps883d987c.jpgIMG_0386_zps5f368601.jpgIMG_0391_zpsa5aa0ce7.pngIMG_0394_zps37e07aad.jpgIMG_0395_zps26b818e1.jpgIMG_0397_zps44d02020.jpg

Replies