Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

First time to Chokoloskee Island Park

Hello
I am a full time guide from Alaska. I am bring my dad down to the Chokoloskee Island Park January 2. I have never been there before, looks like the red grouper will open back up on 1/1/2015 is that right? Will any other grouper be open? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks
Capt Bill Coe
321-652-7749

Replies

• bbuczko1bbuczko1 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Red Grouper will and is open year round in gulf state waters along with Black's, Rock Hinds and Scamps. With a minimum size of 20" for Reds and 22" for blacks and an aggregate bag limit of 4 Per person. Not sure what size boat you will be heading out on but the deeper you can fish the easier it typically is to find slot fish.
  • halibutguidehalibutguide Posts: 21 Greenhorn
    Thank you
    My dad has 22' sterling flats boat. I have taken it 25 to 30 miles off cocoa beach. It would need to be a calm day for us to try.How far out would we need to go to find the deeper water? Will there be any cobia around this time of year?
  • IndianoutlawIndianoutlaw Posts: 550 Officer
    Thank you
    My dad has 22' sterling flats boat. I have taken it 25 to 30 miles off cocoa beach. It would need to be a calm day for us to try.How far out would we need to go to find the deeper water? Will there be any cobia around this time of year?

I wouldn't do it this time of year in that boat. You will need to be outside of 10 miles to catch legal Red grouper in any numbers as most will be shorts. That's just my opinion, but it is generally rough down here unless you catch a great day. It will be a little early for Cobia, but you may see one around structure if your down South. Be safe.
    P1000022_2.jpg
  • fromthefortfromthefort Posts: 89 Deckhand
    I bet the weather will be alot better than Alaska!
    from the fort
  • SirSnukeSirSnuke Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    I cant help you with the grouper question as I only fish for the inshore targets out of choko. 30 miles off in a flats boat sounds risky to me. I am going to alaska this summer in july though and curious what part of alaska you guide out of? I'll be looking to do some salmon fishing and would love any insight on which region or rivers are best.