20141220 - Off Venice

Decided to fish a little deeper to see what was happening prior to the grouper season opening. Had a full crew of 6 and started fishing in about 100 FOW.

Anchoring conditions were not great as we had a wind against current situation. It took almost 500' of rode to anchor.

Nothing really notable for the day except an 19.25 inch lane snapper. For those non-believers, yes, we measured and have a picture. All in all a good day on the water with everybody getting some tasty filets.
IMGP0064s_zpsa8123921.jpg

IMGP0065s_zps32b5652c.jpg

IMGP0066s_zpsad754f87.jpg

Replies

• larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,607 Moderator
    In our house snapper is top dog on our list of fish to catch, cook and serve.
    Thanks for your report.
    larrywitt
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,673 Moderator
    larrywitt wrote: »
    In our house snapper is top dog on our list of fish to catch, cook and serve.
    Thanks for your report.
    larrywitt

:Agree
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    There have been some nice snapper caught in our region lately, its becoming a pretty respectable snapper fishery. Plenty of lanes, mangos, and yellowtails. Lanes seem to the least selective feeders and will eat almost anything. The yellowtails and mangos are more picky. My family prefers catching and eating snapper over grouper- no parasites, less mercury, and arguably more fun to catch. Thanks for the report!

On a separate note I think Pigskin Captain was trying to get in touch with you a couple weeks back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 266 Deckhand
    RMD:

Thanks I will reach out to him.
    snapper takes the cake for us as well. It is really hard to be a nice yellowtail or mango fillet.
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540
  • frankiezfrankiez Posts: 390 Deckhand
    RMD what seems to be the bait of choice for the mangs? Do u feel I need to be on the bottom or up off the bottom?
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    RMD wrote: »
    There have been some nice snapper caught in our region lately, its becoming a pretty respectable snapper fishery. Plenty of lanes, mangos, and yellowtails. Lanes seem to the least selective feeders and will eat almost anything. The yellowtails and mangos are more picky. My family prefers catching and eating snapper over grouper- no parasites, less mercury, and arguably more fun to catch. Thanks for the report!

and you seem to have the Snapper dialed in!