9/25 PE deep droppin

Put together a crew of lucky7team2 (Ernie), Dougmays (Doug) & myself. SnookyJ never showed.....lol!
We hit 15th St a little later than planed due to someones GPS not um...working properly, then calling the land line and waking the wife to ask for directions..... which got us caught up at the lovely FEC railway for an extra long Sunday am train.
While splashing the boat there was a crew of guys getting a citation from Ft Lauderdales finest & we overheard that their trip was gonna be canceled due to whatever infraction they had. Just a reminder to all to make sure your fire extinguishers, flares, other safety gear is in order & not expired.
Cleared the inlet with clear sky to the NE & south showers offshore & to the south.
Plans were to hit the same areas I've been working the last few weeks to catch some vermillion, tiles & maybe a snowy. We did a little trolling while I got the rigs set up & assessed the current. We picked up a double header bonita & kept one for bait. The three of us worked very well together, two of us would drop chicken rigs while the other worked the vertical jig. Doug was off to a running start with the first verm in the box but that was soon to end. After that Doug put on a mudfish (bank sea bass) clinic showing us that he could catch them on nearly any thing he put down including the diamond jig that was larger than they were!!!! Ernie said that for every one he caught he was negative one fish, it's gonna take a few trips to catch up!
We worked an area in 320' & caught several keepers. I had a vermee get eaten by what was probably a warsaw but I couldn't get the hook to find a landing spot & lost it. We moved out to some deeper waters & went down to just one rig as we would be taking turns on the reel. First drop yielded two fat 6lb blueline tiles. Things were uneventful for the next 3 drops with just a couple more tiles. Ernie notice I had a spot just north of where we were ending our drifts & said lets ride this one up to the next spot. We did just that but nothing, I told Ernie to start bringing it up so we could run back to the numbers & just as he started to BANG it hit! He got a good bite & the hook stuck. He & Doug took turns reeling up. I had an idea of what it was but didn't want to jinx it. Sure enough once we had color I knew it! SNOWY!!!!!

315436_2445777384440_1252070073_32950401_778811075_n.jpg

We tried a few more drops but had no luck. On our way out I showed the guys some wrecks back inside in 212' & Ernie wanted to do battle with an AJ. So we trolled our way back in since there was no hurry, there was a large thunderstorm sitting over the inlet & we managed to stay dry other than sweating. Once we got there Ernie fired down the jig, not even two twitches & he's double over into the fight. Brought up a nice 20lb AJ that came home too, not one worm either! After that we wrapped things up & headed for the inlet. Made a quick stop at 15th St fuel dock for some more beer.....to help clean the fish.

Saw Fitz pull up to the ramp as we were leaving & they had a cooler full of dolphin! I heard you on the radio earlier in the day wanting to trade beer for fish & I hailed you but never heard back. You guys need should bring more ice....:icon10

Great day on the water & we all left with a bag-o-filets!!! Thanks guys!

Made it home with enough time to watch the other mudfish loose.....

Tonight's dinner
Black quinoa, steamed asparagus & snowy grouper....... yum!
His
DSC01645.jpg

Hers
DSC01646.jpg

Replies

• WhoDeyWhoDey Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Your day blew mine out of the water, congrats on the catches. Hopefully I will get on them soon :rolleyes. I heard some guys on 72 going on about dolphin figured it was all BS, I only ran out 10 miles but went from PE to well north of the steeple looking for signs of life but nada, glad somebody found them!
  • Native FloridianNative Floridian Posts: 702 Officer
    Great day on the water there guys. Good job on the Snowy too, I'm jealous. I'm assuming that it took until Sunday to get over Friday...lol
    P8260478.jpgPB300094-1.jpg
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Well done fellas :fishing
  • BoloBolo Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Nice report.
  • FitzFitz Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Nice meeeting you at the ramp. We did find someone to trade fish for some beer. Good thing since we had 22 and Mr. FWC was sitting at the ramp. Still new to water down here only got one mark on my chart machine just to mark were it reaches 800 feet out the inlet so I know when to put the trolling gear. All my numbers are for SLI and Juptiter but starting to like waters down here after this weekend.
    May you be heaven half an hour before the :devil knows your dead. :Rockon:Rockon:Rockon
  • dougmaysdougmays Posts: 288 Officer
    Awesome day on the water with a good Crew!

Also ill be doing another demonstration of mudfish catching in the parking lot of bass pro this saturday...admission is $25 per head.

I've fished with ryan many times in the past and i learned on this trip that he is also a magician. with a slight of hand trick he quick attached 2 frozen blue lines to the hook before he through it over with out ernie and myself seeing it. then tell us...FISH ON! haha

I made some pasta alfredo with fresh snapper and asparagus
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    who's earnie? does he hear well?
  • FitzFitz Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    What are you guys calling mud fish? Miami Dolphins?
    May you be heaven half an hour before the :devil knows your dead. :Rockon:Rockon:Rockon
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    yes & these too

saltwater_sbassban.jpg
  • WahoodlumWahoodlum Posts: 71 Deckhand
    Awesome report Ryan. I can't believe you guys had anything but clear skies in all directions. That fish in your last post makes some good grouper bait up north.