Home General Freshwater Fishing

Christmas Come Early! A pre-holiday harbor surprise

I flew into Chicago on Friday night for the holidays, and loaded up the car with bait, tackle, and our ultralight spinning rods for some Saturday morning perch fishing. I picked up Brian from Midway airport (his flight from FLL was slightly delayed) and we headed to a certain downtown harbor to catch a limit of delicious coldwater perch (after stopping in Chinatown for a late breakfast).

The harbor looked good, with some skim ice in places, as we arrived for some gentleman fishing at 2pm. With the unseasonably warm weather, the big schools of fish have been missing in action - but a few days of west winds helped the water clarity.

The perch were nowhere to be found, but this 20inch buck brown trout couldn't resist a thawed cocktail shrimp suspended 12 feet under a float. The take was very gentle, and this Lake Michigan squaretail was excellent sport on my ultralight setup (#8 octopus hook, 4lb braid with 8lb fluoro leader, shimano 1000 spinning reel). Big thanks to Brian for netting this fish.

We enjoyed the fillets pan-seared with picatta sauce.:hungry

Happy holidays y'all!

Replies